2-Window, 3-Window, 5-Window? - what it the right name?

CHuDWah

The "Attractive Sedan" thread got me thinking (yeah, too much quarantine time on my hands).  A coupe is a 5-window with quarter windows and a 3-window without.  But a sedan with quarter windows is a 3-window and a 2-window without??  🤣

Franklin had a town sedan ( 1929-31) , which although looking like a club sedan had a larger rear quarter area and usually/ almost always  a padded top as well.

I go along with A.J. , blind rear quarter is a term that I have heard or used for decades.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Walt G said:

Franklin had a town sedan ( 1929-31) , which although looking like a club sedan had a larger rear quarter area and usually/ almost always  a padded top as well.

I go along with A.J. , blind rear quarter is a term that I have heard or used for decades.

So much for me taking credit.  😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

Matt,  all the years you have been in business you need me to teach you the lingo?   That is a 7-window "Special" coupe.

Cool. That means I have custom bodywork, does it not?

Joking aside, I do have an honest beef with BMW and Mercedes now calling some of their 4-door sedans "coupes" because they have slick rooflines. As if the terminology wasn't already confusing enough. Is there nothing the Germans can't make more complicated?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Matt Harwood said:

Cool. That means I have custom bodywork, does it not?

Joking aside, I do have an honest beef with BMW and Mercedes now calling some of their 4-door sedans "coupes" because they have slick rooflines. As if the terminology wasn't already confusing enough. Is there nothing the Germans can't make more complicated?

Actually,  a little bit of an inside joke.   In MB land everyone knows what a "Special Roadster" is.  A car that brings 10,000,000 plus.   The auction companies started attaching the word "Special" to everything.

Marketing departments have a long history of blurring clarity.  I agree on the 4 door "coupes".  Just because it's not a box, it doesn't change the term sedan.  Likewise "all weather phaeton" for convertible sedan and now "roadster" for two seat convertible coupe with side windows.  "Limousine" for seven passenger sedan without divider.  Special prize to Mercedes for the "Phaeton." a sedan.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to 2-Window, 3-Window, 5-Window? - what it the right name?

It depends on the make, year, and model of car one is referring to.

For example, when one states Cadillac "six window" hardtop, what comes to most people's minds are the '59-'60 models where two styles of four door hardtops were offered.

And if one wants a "23 window" VW, it refers to a 1951-'63 Type 2 Bus, or a "21 window" from 1964-'67.

And '30's Ford two-door coupe lovers have used the term '3-window' and '5-window' probably before I was born!!

Craig

14 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

They should be called “Coops”.  I was unfortunate enough to be the back seat passenger in a late model small Mercedes four door. I struggled to get in and out of the $&##@ thing, and all the time felt very claustrophobic. High head rests, low roof line and cramped conditions. The driver was shorter than I am, but had his seat back a bit. And I am not tall either. Lucky it was only a short trip, but won’t do it again.

Perhaps car companies have lost the plot when designing a four passenger sedan. JMHO

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

22 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I do have an honest beef with BMW and Mercedes now calling some of their 4-door sedans "coupes" because they have slick rooflines. As if the terminology wasn't already confusing enough. Is there nothing the Germans can't make more complicated?

The Mercedes Benz, BMW, and VW Passat 4-door coupes weren't the first examples.  I believe it was Rover with the P5 Coupe in 1966, which was a four door sedan with a cut down roof and thin door pillars. 

I believe a "coupe" in any case is where the rear seat room is less that 33 sq. feet, or thereabouts.

Craig

On 9/23/2020 at 6:46 PM, CHuDWah said:

The "Attractive Sedan" thread got me thinking (yeah, too much quarantine time on my hands).  A coupe is a 5-window with quarter windows and a 3-window without.  But a sedan with quarter windows is a 3-window and a 2-window without??  🤣

For Fords, it's Tudor & Fordor.  Never heard of a "2 or 3 window sedan"

On 9/25/2020 at 11:45 AM, Matt Harwood said:

Lincoln's official name for my car was "2-Window Sedan."

142750206_Lincoln3.thumb.jpg.13fcca2e3f40f6552f267f7472c2a0a8.jpg

1935lincoln_009.thumb.jpg.33379e8c2da1eaa23b47a345264f8a3a.jpg

I just wish it looked as long and sleek as the drawing...

The lament of every guy that ever saw a period drawing of his car:   "Why couldn't they build it to look like that?"

I think the answer would probably be your head would pop through the roof.

• Like 1

Linguistics is a fascinating subject to study! Colloquialisms. Why is it always colloquialisms? It is interesting how the favored terms can vary greatly over even short distances, and then change over just a few years. When I had the '25 Studebaker, we always called it a "coach". That was what the Studebaker expert said it was called. Forty years ago, nobody wanted to argue with that. Since that time, calling that body style a "coupe" has become more popular. No argument that there is historic precedence for it to be called a coupe. A few manufacturers back in the day called their cars of that particular style a coupe. However, "two-door sedan" or "coach" were much more common back when the cars of that era were new.

On 9/24/2020 at 8:42 AM, Matt Harwood said:

What a 7-window coupe with four doors might look like:

When I was in high school, many decades ago, we joked about the mythical three-door coupe.  (Now watch someone post a picture of an actual one.)  🤣

On 9/25/2020 at 7:24 AM, 8E45E said:

I believe a "coupe" in any case is where the rear seat room is less that 33 sq. feet, or thereabouts.

A coupe has no rear seat.  😉

On 9/26/2020 at 9:59 AM, 8E45E said:

3-window:  Tudor Sedan. 

2-window: Sedan Delivery.

Umm, no.