Horn mechanism for MG banjo wheel

greenie

MGA's use the same center emblem set up , but your wheel is from a different model . MG T series  perhaps ?

jerry k probably can tell you.

On the MGA they relocated the horn push to the center of the dash , right below the middle of the radio speaker grill, the big black button

Possibly people found the under the cowl position hard to find. I had a TF 40 years ago but details like the horn button position are fading from my memory. I still own a MGA .

Greg

images06DF48V1.jpg

The steering wheel the OP posted a photo of is for the MGB up to 1970.  The center cap is the horn-push. The actual horn assembly is missing from the wheel in the photo.  Look at the Moss Motors catalog for a faithful reproduction.  That listing gives the chassis numbers the wheel will fit, for either the roadster or GT MGBs.  Info is also available from the reference book
"The Original MGB" by Clausage.  The MGC used the same wheel however the rim was leather wrapped. 

Terry

• Like 2

I should have gotten this one , although its probably 30 years since I sold my last MGB and stuck strictly to MGA's.

The MGA style center emblem tricked me into thinking the wheel was the same age as the center. Is that a MGB center with all the internals removed or a MGA center ? I probably even still have a MGB wheel around here in my big shed of MG parts, but I haven't taken much notice of the MGB stuff for years apart from the mechanical parts I use on my A.

Greg

Yes, there is a larger piece missing.  The center cap fits into that.  Looking at it from straight on if it were complete, it would show as a chrome ring under the center cap. 

I like the MGAs.  It seems I'm about the only person in the club right now without one.  

Was at a friend's house yesterday helping complete installation of his newly rebuilt engine.  Some small parts needed to be reinstalled and his new aluminum radiator needed to be put in.  Ran into a bit of a snag when one of our club members was trying to slip the distributor drive into the block - it dropped awkwardly and ended up slipping down into the oil pan.  I've done these before on the MGB and would say it's impossible to drop it down into the sump like that, but the MGA was obviously different.  The oil pan had to be dropped to fish it back out-but we learned a new trick in the process.  A wooden down was inserted into the hole on the shaft and it made a nice handle to place the drive gear into proper position.  As usual with MGs a 2 hour job turns into an all day project.

Terry

You should look into MGA ownership ! I always use a early MGB engine in mine, a direct bolt in . One of my friends as well. They can use the extra HP and torque of the 1800. 1500's especially are quite slow for todays traffic and the drum brakes not up to the job. But the upgrades are a bolt on. You can even use MGB front suspension on a MGA with a couple of adaptions. MGA's use acme thread king pins that are prone to serious wear. The MGB bushed king pin is a definite improvement.

Greg