Can this '66 Eldorado possibly be worth $21,500?

Guest Parm

THE FOLLOWING IS A POST I PLACED A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO AT THE CADILLAC LASALLE CLUB WEBSITE MESSAGE BOARD. IT DREW A GOOD NUMBER OF REPLIES/COMMENTS. THOUGHT I'D PLACE IT HERE AS WELL TO SEE HOW MANY OTHER/NEW COMMENTS IT MIGHT INSPIRE.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/6/0/37069560.htm

For about a year now, I?ve been looking for a nice 1962, 1963 or 1964 Cadillac convertible at a reasonable price. Perhaps it's my frustration of not being able to find what I originally thought I wanted or perhaps I'm becoming less finicky and more open-minded. Whatever, the reason, I find myself being attracted to this '66 Eldorado (see link above).

I'm also starting to believe that rather than limiting myself to a few specific models and years, I should concentrate on finding the absolute very best car I can find at the highest price I can afford (which admittedly isn't much). And, since I've always liked Cadillacs, I find myself attracted to this ?66 Eldorado in the link above.

Anyway, I never really paid too much attention to Cadillacs after 1964. But, I'm really starting to warm up to the '65-'66 body style - especially in Eldorado form which has the classy looking interior wood trim I?ve always been a sucker for.

So now, let's talk values. CPI (Cars of Particular Interest value guide. Please, don't even bother quoting from Old Cars Price Guide as it's a joke) shows a '66 Eldorado convertible in good condition to be $11,400 and one in excellent condition to be $18,800. Based on this guy's description and $21,500 asking price, he obviously thinks he has one of the best '66 Eldorado's in captivity. However, this can't be the case based on the amount of work he's had to do to it (thus, by definition, it?s not in original, pristine condition).

By the way, there's a red '66 Eldorado convertible on Hemmings.com reportedly with only 30,500 original miles with an even higher asking price of $28,000. At that high of a price altitude, an air mask should automatically drop down from the visor!

As always, I'm looking up to you folks to give me some much needed guidance as to a fair value for this blue '66 Eldorado.

Gentlemen (and ladies?), the floor is yours.

Parm, I've read the responses you received on the CLC forum. (By the way, I certainly prefer the format of this forum!)

In view of the comments you received on the CLC forum, do you continue to have an interest in this car? I am not knowledgeable about this particular model -- although I agree that the '65 and '66 Cadillacs were beautiful cars and worthy of consideration -- but it seems that this one has plenty of flaws. My sense is that this car is not consistent with the standard you have set. Am I wrong, or are you still interested enough that you would consider offering a lesser amount than the asking price?

Hello Brian. Good to see you in the Cadillac "room" grin.gif So, am I still interested in this car? I thought I was until I read the posts on the CLC board. Now, I'm not so sure. My Cadillac expertise (which is slim even on my best day) is limited to 1962, 1963 and 1964 models as these are my first loves and thus have received most of my attention. So, it's hard for me to find the flaws in this '66 Eldorado, but they're obviously there. The guys on the CLC message board are sharp and that's why I turned to them. They keep me from making stupid mistakes. Much like the great guys in the BCA forums.

So, to conclude, I'm not planning on contacting the seller of this blue '66 Eldorado anytime soon. Given it's flaws, it appears to me the value of this car is more like $10,000 to $12,000. This guy is asking $21,500. It's been my experience that when there's a gap this big, it's pointless to try and have any "meaningful" conversation with the seller. A blind man can't see that he's wrong and that the market is right.

Hey, Big 429! Good to see you in here. I still regularly visit the '63-'64 Community message boards (aka. Bosco). Is it just me, or are the topics there getting so stagnant? I used to be able to pick up some good leads on decent cars. Seems like recently, all that's there are folks selling hood hinges, ashtrays or need help picking out the right wax - all important issues to be sure. But, it just seems like there haven't been any real "meaty" discussions in either the For Sale or General message boards in a long time.

CLC # 19126

BCA # 38881

OCA # 034946

POCI #049385