where is the Dipstick = 1946 Lincoln V-12

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to where is the Dipstick = 1946 Lincoln V-12
3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Now nobody will "get" my joke.  The original title was simply "dipstick". I thought someone was calling out to me.

All kidding aside Peter G, thank you for riding herd over us crazies! A lot of your title changes do help.

Are you kidding me?!!!  Now we have censorship of thread titles?!!  Unbelievable!

Jeers,

Grog

On 9/21/2020 at 5:28 PM, Roger Thomas said:

I can't find the dipstick on my 1946 Lincoln V-12.  Would appreciate some guidance.

Just last week I did a service (as favor to a friend, first and last time) on a couple of years old German "sports car" and discovered that not only it didn't have dipstick either, but required a visit to dealer to get its on-board computer display code for "oil change needed" (or something) cleared after the fact. 

Heck, other than filler caps for coolant and oil, couldn't even see anything of the engine without lifting the car up and looking at it from below ???

So I can only assume it doesn't have carburetor(s) either.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, TTR said:

Just last week I did a service (as favor to a friend, first and last time) on a couple of years old German "sports car" and discovered that not only it didn't have dipstick either, but required a visit to dealer to get its on-board computer display code for "oil change needed" (or something) cleared after the fact. 

Heck, other than filler caps for coolant and oil, couldn't even see anything of the engine without lifting the car up and looking at it from below ???

There is a mention about a dealer visit or something similar in the Manual of my Traverse to reset the oil condition monitor. Since I never plan to let the oil get real dirty I hope to avoid that spot of fun.

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, TTR said:

I bought a decent scanner for OBDII cars that will do all sorts of stuff like reset the oil light, bleed ABS systems, read/reset SRS codes, steering angle reset, reprogram new keys, etc. and it will even email me a report from the car with any codes that were pulled up.

With new cars you need a really good scan tool if you want to mess with them.

1 hour ago, zepher said:

I bought a decent scanner for OBDII cars that will do all sorts of stuff like reset the oil light, bleed ABS systems, read/reset SRS codes, steering angle reset, reprogram new keys, etc. and it will even email me a report from the car with any codes that were pulled up.

With new cars you need a really good scan tool if you want to mess with them.

Unless that "scanner"(?) comes with one or more carburetor and/or large thumb-screws or similar mechanical features, I don't see a need to obtain one. 🤔

Next, someone will probably suggest I "need" a smart-phone, like all those "millennials"(?) keep vacantly staring at. 😮

Heck, my late model daily driver allegedly has some feature "allowing"(!?!) a way to talk on the phone while driving, instead of paying action to driving ???? WTH !?! Why would any responsible person do that ?

19 minutes ago, TTR said:

Unless that "scanner"(?) comes with one or more carburetor and/or large thumb-screws or similar mechanical features, I don't see a need to obtain one. 🤔

Next, someone will probably suggest I "need" a smart-phone, like all those "millennials"(?) keep vacantly staring at. 😮

Heck, my late model daily driver allegedly has some feature "allowing"(!?!) a way to talk on the phone while driving, instead of paying action to driving ???? WTH !?! Why would any responsible person do that ?

My daily drivers are all OBDII and I seem to be the family mechanic so buying a good scanner was a necessity.

And I do have a smart phone, used that with a bluetooth OBDII dongle to read only ECU codes and data before I bought my stand alone scanner.

My phone is older, and I pretty much only use it for phone calls.  No idea why anyone would want to stare at a tiny screen for hours at a time.

And using a handsfree device in a car is really no different than talking to passengers in the car.

On 9/23/2020 at 4:31 PM, TTR said:

Porsche Boxter?

One has to lower the engine to change the spark plugs in them.

Craig

20 hours ago, zepher said:

And using a handsfree device in a car is really no different than talking to passengers in the car.

I beg to differ with this scenario.

When I used to use a phone while driving, it was to answer some question or to give difficult answers to a problem.

I found that I was concentrating on the call instead of my driving and several times I had to make a sudden driving correction in order to avoid an accident.

I stopped using the phone way before it was made illegal in my state.

I don't see how hands free talking would solve the problem.

Talking to a person in the car is different, you are not in deep thought while chit chatting and can stop or hesitate at any time and the other person will realize why, and it will not be necessary to explain you non-talking.

💬

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Porsche Boxter?

One has to lower the engine to change the spark plugs in them.

Craig

911 Carrera convertible something or what not that makes old men feel like they’re reliving the youth they never actually experienced. 🙄

21 hours ago, zepher said:

...using a handsfree device in a car is really no different than talking to passengers in the car.

Perhaps you’re just assuming I allow or take passengers in my car(s), let alone talk to/with them while driving.  😜

• Haha 1
53 minutes ago, TTR said:

Perhaps you’re just assuming I allow or take passengers in my car(s), let alone talk to/with them while driving.  😜

Besides, I don't think there's much of anything so important going on in my world that I would need to make or take calls while driving.

On those very rare occasions my pre-Bell era cell phone rings while I'm driving, it has a voicemail feature I can check later, and if they didn't leave a message, I assume it wasn't important anyway, or even more rarely, if I'm actually expecting some sort of "important"(?) call requiring prompt action, I just look for a safe place on side the road to stop/park before taking it.

• Like 1