New Question for '36 Dodge Guys

jpage

I was fitting the toeboard in my car today and for the first time noticed 8  1/4in. holes in the pan that are not mounting holes. Does anyone know if there was an insulator mat pined to the top of the toeboard, and did it go over the entire piece or just the foot areas. I'm suspecting that 's what they were for. None of my 3 cars had anything left for reference, except one or two small rivets. I also assume that there is an insulator mat under the front floor mat area on the floorboard too. I'm also curious as to how thick a pad would be. All help greatly appreciated.

Hi Jim

I had a look at the mat that survives on my toeboard. It is tan, about 3/16" thick. It is a sort of quilted pattern, fairly dense compressed fiber and held in place by split rivets. The upper section directly below the firewall is 3 3/8" wide and 34" long. The lower section for the larger sloped panel is 10 7/8" wide and 34" long. The lower piece appears to be more like 1/4" thick but I believe that is because it was wet occasionally and puffed up a bit. The upper piece seems to have stayed dry and retains its original compressed profile. The mat is die-cut for all the necessary holes. I don't have a surviving piece of the underlay for the main floor area but I suspect it was of a thicker more resilient material. The replacement mat had a fiber pad that would be perhaps 1/2" thick at the most. 

Hope this helps.

Jim Hazlewood

• Like 1

Thanks Jim.  I went ahead and made a pad for the toeboard out of the regular 'jute' felt that Restoration Specialties sells. It's about 1/4-5/16 in. thick. I think that the floorboard pad may have been cemented to the floor mat as a separate piece as there are no holes for the rivets in it. I'll probably make the floorboard pad out of the same material and glue it to the mat material that I make the floor mat from. I don't think anyone makes or sells an original type floor mat for these cars. Could you do me a favor and look at the accelerator shaft grommet on your car, that is if it's still there, and let me know if the body of the grommet protrudes toward the inside of the car or toward the engine side. I found an old toeboard that still has the grommet part of the seal in place and it appears that the body goes to the inside. Another member thought that it faced the engine side, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure that the grommet in the old part is original.  Thanks  JIm

I think you're right about the floorboard pad being cemented to the floor mat. The replacement in our coupe is like that. As far as the accelerator grommet is concerned, it was in very bad shape and I think I got rid of it but I'll check to make sure. I'll let you know if I still have it and can figure out which way it goes. 

I agree the mat is glued to the metal flooring. Most of my car was free of rust except at this pad where it held moisture and heavily rusted the flooring underneath. All the rest of the metal floor and carpet even were in fine shape, just not under the mat. I didn’t get any rust through, just heavy pockmarking there.

On 9/23/2020 at 4:04 PM, jpage said:

Thanks Jim.  I went ahead and made a pad for the toeboard out of the regular 'jute' felt that Restoration Specialties sells. It's about 1/4-5/16 in. thick. I think that the floorboard pad may have been cemented to the floor mat as a separate piece as there are no holes for the rivets in it. I'll probably make the floorboard pad out of the same material and glue it to the mat material that I make the floor mat from. I don't think anyone makes or sells an original type floor mat for these cars. Could you do me a favor and look at the accelerator shaft grommet on your car, that is if it's still there, and let me know if the body of the grommet protrudes toward the inside of the car or toward the engine side. I found an old toeboard that still has the grommet part of the seal in place and it appears that the body goes to the inside. Another member thought that it faced the engine side, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure that the grommet in the old part is original.  Thanks  JIm

I think it had those long rivet like pins that held them in place through the floor board and firewall, I know my 34 has them, tough to find I would think haven’t gotten that far to start the hunt yet, but do have some I will post a picture as soon as I run across them, I put them somewhere” for safe keeping just need to remember where,,,,,,,,