First non-manual wipers and first heater

I have a 1923 Hudson that has a single manual wiper blade and no interior heater.

Does anyone know when the first hands free wipers were installed in cars and which model was the first.  I know they used portable heaters in the early cars like they did in the carriages but  when and what car had the first real heater?

Robert

cool little article: The History of Windshield Wipers

William M. Folberth, an inventor, patented the first automatic, non-hand-driven windshield wipers in 1919. These automatic windshield wipers used a vacuum-powered system to clear the windshield, which became standard equipment on automobiles. This vacuum-powered system was widely used until 1960s, when the use of intermittent wipers became more common

not sure how true this all is, as many claim to be the first :)

Clear The Way: A History of Automotive Windshield Wipers

Edited by BearsFan315 (see edit history)

Yes I have seen the article.  Seems to me I have seen many older cars with an electric wiper mounted

at the tip of the windshield. Maybe both types of wipers came out at the same time. A wiper at the top of

the windshield would have trouble connecting to a vacuum system but maybe not......

Robert

5 minutes ago, 41 Su8 said:

The vacuum wiper on my '29 Model A Ford has a line that enters the passenger side of the firewall and travels up the inside of the windshield header and across to the wiper motor.

same as my 1929 Chevrolet with a Trico Vacuum wiper

copper tube rom intake manifold through fire wall (grommet) to needle valve in dash (vacuum control switch) out the switch to the drivers a pillar, up inside the wood to header, over to a small portion sticking out, then a rubber hose from this nipple to the wiper motor. 

20180407_144749.thumb.jpg.ba6f903f2d43dfb07f5a06e5f2562ecc.jpg

20180407_144758.thumb.jpg.60db7b9522bbe6fbf940c754ae233fa4.jpg

20180407_205610.jpg.b331e20d4604fb77532572f6011ea3a7.jpg

20190406_140649.thumb.jpg.a659589801296ebaa488c29d2437c7fd.jpg

20190406_142430.thumb.jpg.cf397984f0914b67a75854cb2ed12805.jpg

1 hour ago, rhurst said:

Yes I have seen the article.  Seems to me I have seen many older cars with an electric wiper mounted

at the tip of the windshield. Maybe both types of wipers came out at the same time. A wiper at the top of

the windshield would have trouble connecting to a vacuum system but maybe not......

Robert

Some of the mid 1920's Stewart Warner vacuum tanks had a special tee fitting on top for a thin vacuum line going through the firewall and up the windshield corner post to the wiper motor. 

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Some early cars used a manifold heater that captured hot exhaust heat given off by the exhaust manifold  and plumbed it into the interior thru an adjustable flap,  like the Model A Fords did. . I've seen some very early cars using that method of heating with a box around the muffler or exhaust pipe and a grate in the floor to bring heat into the passenger compartment. The 1921 Cleveland used that, also I believe Studebakers had something similar. I guess it all depends on how you define heater.

Terry

"captured hot exhaust heat given off by the exhaust manifold  and plumbed it into the interior" my '70 Westphalia had that.

11 hours ago, rhurst said:

Anyone have any information on car heaters?  Did any cars in the 20's have any type of in cab car heater? I know the circulating water type wasn't around until 1936 but what or who had a heater in the 20's?

Robert

I have some old automotive trade magazines that show hot water heaters for earlier than 1936. I’d have to thumb through them again to see the earliest, bu suspect they might have been available in the very late 20s.

On 9/21/2020 at 7:21 PM, PFitz said:

Some of the mid 1920's Stewart Warner vacuum tanks had a special tee fitting on top for a thin vacuum line going through the firewall and up the windshield corner post to the wiper motor. 

Paul

That is how my 1925 Dodge Brothers roadster is set up.

9 hours ago, keithb7 said:

This 1928 Dodge Brothers Standard 6, made in Canada has a heater. I cannot tell you if it was a bolt on addition at some point? Could likely have been. 

IMG_0418 (1).JPG

That heater is much later than the car.

22 hours ago, rhurst said:

Anyone have any information on car heaters?  Did any cars in the 20's have any type of in cab car heater? I know the circulating water type wasn't around until 1936 but what or who had a heater in the 20's?

Robert

I'm not certain when they first offered them, but many mid '20s Franklins have a Masco brand heater. It was a special jacketed exhaust manifold that used ducted air from the cooling fan housing ( Franklins are air cooled motors) to force air through a sheet metal jacket around the exhaust manifold and into the front and rear seat areas.

Here's a Masco exhaust heater manifold on a 26 Franklin - viewed from the right side of the engine. The flex hose on the right connects to the fan housing at the front of the motor. The short flex hose on the left goes through the firewall to an air flow control fitting.

The second picture is a Masco on a 1930 Franklin. 

Later, they also offered a similar system that took heat from a jacketed muffler. 

Paul

P1010031.JPG

Pre Trek 101.jpg

This ad is from the September 1930 issue of Motor Maintenance. Accessory heater ads seem to be found in the September and October issues of the old trade magazines. Unfortunately, the oldest September issue of a trade magazine I have is this one so I don’t know how much earlier hot water type heaters might have been available.

Sept1930ArvinHeaterAd.jpeg

13 hours ago, keithb7 said:

This 1928 Dodge Brothers Standard 6, made in Canada has a heater. I cannot tell you if it was a bolt on addition at some point? Could likely have been. 

Based on the design, a bit less art deco of the late twenties or early thirties and more streamline modern of the late thirties , I suspect that heater is from the mid to late 1930s.