New Buick owner with questions

AlanS

Hello everyone. I'm a fairly new owner of a 1937 Buick Special 47. My car runs and drives and I've been reading through some of the forum posts for information and this site is great. Very helpful. I have a couple questions. The torque tube is leaking at the transmission and I want to make sure I'm correct that I need to pull the rear end and move it backwards to complete this repair? My second question is about the trunk handle. Mine was not working when I purchased the car and I bought one from eBay that I found. I also appears to be too short and I read here that the 47 has a longer stem. Does anybody have a source for the correct handle for the Slantback?

Thanks again for all the help.

I would agree with that. I drained and refilled the transmission and rear differential after reading through member's recommendations and most of the oil I put in the transmission ended up on the floor. And, no, it wasn't from not putting the drain plug back in. Did that once a long time ago. I've attached some pictures of my Buick. This is the day we got it home 1 year ago. I believe it to be mostly original. Interior is original as is most of the glass although it appears to have new rubber around the windshield and rear glass. The rear glass has a We Support Roosevelt bumper sticker in it and the right side wing has a decal for  the Aquaglades in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I've been trying to research the car's history but all I've found so far was it was in the same family for many years. If any of you have information about the car I would appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Scott

DSC_0115.JPG

DSC_0116.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AlanS said:

DSC_0115.JPG

DSC_0116.JPG

Off topic.....but.... that blue!!!

These cars look their best in dark colors.

"That blue" is what my 37 coupe will be,  there was a real good preserved patch under the hood on the side of the body.   Almost looks black in shade and a rich dark blue in light.  That car isn't black is it?

On topic,  doing a complete restoration so hoping for no surprise leaks.

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You should not use the phrase "Mostly original" because your car has clearly been restored. Use the phrase "restored to stock." The difference between stock and original is huge. Stock cars have all the correct replacement parts in all their original places, have been painted stock colors, seats reupholstered to stock with correct fabric and colors, all restored to look like a new car. Everything restored and shiny and new looking. On the other hand, original cars have all their original parts, paint, upholstery, everything, like they were pulled out of a barn. Huge difference.

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I would agree that Dave Tacheny at 763-327-3460 is the most likely source for the correct trunk handle, but I would add that you need to call him between 4 and 7 pm Central to reach him. 

I would also suggest you check out the 36-38 Buick Club. The website is: http://www.3638buickclub.org/. You should consider joining. If you either contact me through the contact the webmaster link on the club website, or send me your email address via private message on the forum here, I will be happy to email you a .pdf copy of a recent newsletter. The newsletter routinely has other advertisers who might be helpful to you in addition ot Dave Tacheny, who is my first call for any parts needs for any Buick of this era. 

19 hours ago, 1937McBuick said:

Off topic.....but.... that blue!!!

These cars look their best in dark colors.

"That blue" is what my 37 coupe will be,  there was a real good preserved patch under the hood on the side of the body.   Almost looks black in shade and a rich dark blue in light.  That car isn't black is it?

On topic,  doing a complete restoration so hoping for no surprise leaks.

The car is actually black. Must have been a good picture day.

19 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

You should not use the phrase "Mostly original" because your car has clearly been restored. Use the phrase "restored to stock." The difference between stock and original is huge. Stock cars have all the correct replacement parts in all their original places, have been painted stock colors, seats reupholstered to stock with correct fabric and colors, all restored to look like a new car. Everything restored and shiny and new looking. On the other hand, original cars have all their original parts, paint, upholstery, everything, like they were pulled out of a barn. Huge difference.

Point taken on the terminology. Thank you for the correction.