In remembrance of my father: 1940 - 2020

ex98thdrill

1940 - 2020.

For those of you who don't already know, yesterday the man upstairs took my partner in crime.

Your suffering is over dad, I'll do my best to keep both the fleet and the legacy going.....

I will be coming to Hershey, but this will be the first time in my life I'll be making the trip to Hershey without my dad.  Although they're entered, I may or may not bring a vehicle to Hershey.  It's going to be hard wiping the tears off of the trucks.....

His last AACA outing was when we took the stage in Philly back in February to accept the Peterson Fire Apparatus Award.

Before anyone asks, unless either my sisters or my mom has a different plan, the cars will still be coming out, but I'll be shining them by myself.

706_1d16e7a4-f4e0-4f44-912f-b6349fb978c2.jpg

22282124_10210725375755875_2194767350262102602_n.jpg

attach2.jpg

image_zpsqldyi7mh.jpg

DSCN0426.JPG

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Pat, so sorry about this. Be strong and continue to honor him by keeping those trucks shined and rolling.  We've shared some great times and he will always be in our hearts and memories.   Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Terry and Susan.

I have never met either of you, but it seems that you and your Dad had the same great relationship as I did with my Dad as well.

You will miss him as I do mine - every day, but just think that he had such a great time spending time with you and your vintage machinery

and was as proud of you as you were of him. Many people love their parents but do not have an additional  common bond of the joy of an old vehicle.

He will always be there in spirit with you .

So very sad for your loss.

Walt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Pat, so sorry about this. Be strong and continue to honor him by keeping those trucks shined and rolling.  We've shared some great times and he will always be in our hearts and memories.   Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Terry and Susan.

Terry, ten years ago when you were national President, the two of us (with several others) put on a meet with as much heart and attention to detail to that meet as we put into our cars.  Thank you for coming up and being a part of that memory.  I still get approached by people who I don't even know that still talk about that show.

2009 Annual Grand National Meet - Topeka KS 111.jpg

Sorry for your loss. The first Hershey without my father was terribly difficult. I did't walk around or buy a single thing...........just sat with friends. We never get over the loss, we learn to live with it. When I was standing in line with or car for Best of Show at Pebble..........all I could think of was if he could see how far we had come in the hobby...............my 92 year old mother was able to watch us on the live feed.........we shared the best car moment of more than fifty years together by phone and video.......It was a great day, but with some sadness also. For our clan, it was cars that brought the family together for trips and vacation. My best, Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to In remembrance of my father: 1940 - 2020
Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello Pat,

Marion & I are very sorry to hear about your father--our sincere condolences for your loss.  I'll think of him every time I see a fire truck, especially when I see one of yours at an AACA show.  You, he, and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

I am very sorry to hear of your Father's passing.

As Walt said, it doesn't really get any easier you just get better at dealing with it. And you will miss him every day. I know I miss my Dad every day, some more than others.

But keep the fleet going and his legacy will live on. Each time one of those old rigs fires up and the tires start rolling, he'll be there.

It looks like you guys have a pretty good sized fleet but one thing I did for my Dad that helps me is I put his Pierce baseball cap and his Rickenbacker baseball cap on the back seat of each car.  So whenever the car goes for a ride Pops is riding along with me.

You and your family will always have the memories of your times together with your old iron being a great memento of those times.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

I didn't have the honor of ever meeting your dad.  While I didn't know him I do know the grief of the loss of a parent, other family member or a friend. May your dad rest in peace.  My condolences and best wishes for your family.

Dave 

Pat, My Condolences, Thoughts and Prayers to you and your family. 

I consider myself lucky to have spoken with your Dad and you at several AACA Meets over the years. For some reason the three of us usually crossed paths at the various meet hotel parking lots and trailer parking areas. (2018 Greensburg and 2019 Auburn to name a couple). Your Dad was always willing to answer questions about your fire truck and tell stories about how the two of you restored it or did some really interesting modifications to your hauler vehicles. I will both remember and miss those parking lot conversations.

Thanks so much for posting the photos in this thread. The very first photo of your Dad in the cab of the hauler is my favorite and the perfect way for me to remember him.

I hope we cross paths at the upcoming Hershey Car Show in a few weeks. If not, I see you next year.

Charlie

8 hours ago, charlier said:

Thanks so much for posting the photos in this thread. The very first photo of your Dad in the cab of the hauler is my favorite and the perfect way for me to remember him.

I hope we cross paths at the upcoming Hershey Car Show in a few weeks. If not, I see you next year.

Thanks Charlie.  Just so you know the picture of my dad in the cab of the hauler was the unanimous choice for the entire family.  It almost looks like he's staring at you and waving goodbye....  My dad's funeral will be Saturday morning at 11am.  After the funeral there will be a reception at the firehouse.  Our '49 LaFrance will be flying the big flag.

attach.jpg