1936 Pierce-Arrow 1602 Thermostat

1937 Buick 66C

Good Evening All,

I have recently gotten my 1936 1602 V-12 running.  Overall, it appears to be behaving as it is supposed to.  I brought the engine up to 180 degrees, and observed that the radiator shutters did not open.  I took the pin out of the linkage between the shutters and the thermostat lever, and manually opened the shutters (they move easily, with gentle spring return action).  I then ran the engine again to nearly 200F temperature and observed that the thermostat position had not changed;  It was not aligned such that the shutters would be in their open position.  My experience with Pierce-Arrow is beginning with this car, and I would appreciate some advice:

1. At what temperature should I expect the thermostat to begin to move the radiator shutters?
  2. Can the thermostat be removed from the top tank of the radiator without losing coolant?  I just flushed and replenished the coolant (all 20qts worth), therefore would like to lose as little as possible.
  3. Once I have removed the thermostat, what should I expect to do with it to get it working?

The thermostat opens at 160 degrees. The thermostat, cover, and linkage are available from Cislak in the PAS. The thermostat can be removed easily, draining the car is not a big deal.......if your worried about that, then changing the bellows is probably too much of a repair for you. It’s easy to damage the radiator if you don’t know what you are doing. I have had a 1602 for thirty years. And I have changed a dozen 1936-1938 Pierce thermostats. His number is 413-543-9017 east coast hours 930 am to 430 pm. Please post a photo of your car.......I wonder if I am familiar with it. 1602’s are too common.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Greetings Edinmass et al,

Thank you for your prompt and thorough response.  Clearly, you have far more experience with these automobiles than I.

I am confident that I can deal with removal / replacement of the thermostat.  I have several antique cars, but none with thermostatically triggered radiator shutters, so this qualifies as a "new" project for me.  I will assume replacement is straightforward, requiring some care with the small fasteners that secure the assembly.  Fortunately, this car is in excellent condition, so I'm hoping to avoid any surprises.  A couple of additional clarifications if you have time:

• How much coolant should I expect to need to drain so I don't have a mess on my hands when I loosen the thermostat housing.
  • Are there any special precautions required when removing the old thermostat?

You are likely to be familiar with this car.  This Pierce-Arrow 1602 (#3140053) was purchased by my late father-in-law in 2012 from Ralph Schmidt from Dayton, OH.  Mr. Schmidt showed the car extensively after it was fully restored in the late 1990s.   The car carries First Place plaques from both CCCA and PAS.  It remains in excellent condition, therefore I am rather timid about doing much to it so as to not damage anything.  I'm attaching an image per your request.

Unfortunately, my father-in-law did nothing with the car during his ownership, therefore my first tasks were to evacuate a tank of ancient fuel, replace an electric fuel pump whose internals had turned into goo, and rebuild the AC mechanical pump on the engine.  I got it running two weeks ago, which has exposed a few additional issues I will need to resolve;  The thermostat, and non-operational the charging system are the next items.  I hope to be able to drive it this fall.  It is my intent to drive it somewhat regularly, once I am confident that it is sorted out.

1936_Pierce-Arrow_LF.jpg

• Like 2

I know the car well. I have driven it and worked on it. I knew Ralph, Leroy, and Larry.......they were good friends. Sadly all gone now. I bought Ralph’s 1935 Pierce 12 roadster, which was parked next to your car. I knew the car long before they purchased it and restored it. Check the fuel pump, last time I was in the car it was leaking badly. 

PS- It’s a 1602 on a 144 inch chassis.....the only one known. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1