Saw this 1960 Thunderbird after the firestorm....

keiser31

• keiser31 changed the title to Saw this 1960 Thunderbird after the firestorm....

Good to see life is coming around up there.

You know, T-Birds of that era got a really bad rap for a lot of years.

They were cast aside and never really considered worth collecting but I have always liked their chrome excess.

I don't know why, but they have always looked good to me, especially the convertibles.

• Like 2

So sorry for your town, Keiser31! Again, many prayers to you folks.

Somehow a Thunderbird rising up through the ashes is a great symbol, though. Not trying to be flippant or trivialize the loss. Best wishes to you all.

PS> I should also say, let me/us know if there's anything you need that we can send up to you. Seriously.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wixom was initially set-up as an exclusively unit-body assembly plant, the '58 Thunderbirds and Lincolns the only products planned to build there.  The 1958 Lincolns were changed to unit-body construction specifically to fill out the volume in conjunction with Thunderbird.  Lincolns were selling in relatively low-volumes throughout the 1950's, 1956-'57 the exception.   Because there was still a mix of high and lower content Lincolns and Thunderbirds offered at the time, what might be shown in this image are Lincolns and Thunderbirds with little more than the minimum standard equipment built at a higher units-per-hour and lower labor content rate.  Typically, higher optioned cars were built in groups to allow a lower cars-per-hour build rate and higher labor content.

Unit-body construction was viewed as the wave of the future, and seem to hold promise for more rigid body structures at lighter overall weight.  While those qualities have been realized in the age of computer modeling and digital analysis, sixty plus years ago, it was slide-rules plus a healthy dash of gut-hunches.  As the proposed '58 Lincoln grew larger, the advantages of unit-construction diminished, resulting in heavier than comparably-sized Bond-on-Frame cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

John,

Thank's for the TBird photo. It kind of symbolizes your return. 

John's return should not be read as a return to normal. There are scores of fires burning. Some welcome rain, in some areas, but with it came some lightning. Whack-a-mole continues, as thin tired resources move from place to place. The end of the fire season is still weeks to months away.

1 hour ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

John,

Thank's for the TBird photo. It kind of symbolizes your return. 

John's return should not be read as a return to normal. There are scores of fires burning. Some welcome rain, in some areas, but with it came some lightning. Whack-a-mole continues, as thin tired resources move from place to place. The end of the fire season is still weeks to months away.

Yeah....my walk around town is completely different now as I see all of the folks who lost everything.