1929 Stutz M Custom LeBaron Limousine

For sale is this rare and significant 1929 Stutz M Custom LeBaron Limousine in original, unrestored condition inside and out, and the only remaining example of the Custom bodied LeBaron Limousine body style, Model M8-63, extant. The car is incredibly straight and solid, with a low-slung body on a massive 145 in. wheelbase. Other quality features of this model include a 4-speed transmission, hydraulic brakes, wire wheels, huge Ryan headlamps, dual sidemounts, RA radiator mascot, decorative landau irons, roll down divider window, and excellent original interior upholstery with two jump-seats.  The top material is factory original and in excellent condition. Because of its many original, untouched features, this car should not be restored, but maintained as a preservation car. The Vertical 8 OHC engine was partially disassembled many years ago, and will require a complete rebuild. All of the parts needed for the engine restoration are included with the car. Formerly in C. Cameron Peck’s Collection. Additional photos available upon request. Offered at $62,500.00. Contact John Lowell, jlowell@lowellmfg.com, or 314-724-1493.

IMG_1282 - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_1284 - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_1285 - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_1283 - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_6663.JPG

IMG_6711.JPG

IMG_1299 - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_1287 - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

• Like 4

To do the motor correctly,  steel rods, holman timing chain, etc you are talking 30-35k.   But you will also be bumping it up to 120-130 hp.    The high speed rear end is about a 5k project but it will go highway speeds comfortably.

The owner is very responsive to questions so anyone interested should reach out to him.   Although a closed car,  it is a catalog custom Lebaron on the 145" wheelbase.   Not to be confused with production bodied cars on the shorter wheelbase.

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Aug_10__1952_.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

For those of us unfamiliar with the current costs, what would be the cost range to rebuilt this Stutz engine to be functional and dependable but consistent with preserving the overall originality otherwise?

The other issue is finding a Competent  engine builder. Not too many of them around today. It’s my experience that half the new Stutz engines built today explode within one hundred miles. They are great engines, and when properly done they are bullet proof. Have a hack do a half ass job and you get windows in the engine block........and yes, I have seen this multiple times on them.

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2020 at 5:14 PM, edinmass said:

The other issue is finding a Competent  engine builder. Not too many of them around today. It’s my experience that half the new Stutz engines built today explode within one hundred miles. They are great engines, and when properly done they are bullet proof. Have a hack do a half ass job and you get windows in the engine block........and yes, I have seen this multiple times on them.

@edinmassThrown rod?  What’s the cause of the failures?  I know someone with a 27 needing rebuilt, though they will likely do it themselves.  I’m sure they wouldn’t mind knowing about any marque specific gremlins lurking.

To your point, I have talked to a recent sellers of 1930’s cars who say their car have had a top notch engine rebuilds by so-and-so, however when I ask them what was done, they don’t know what they paid for.  

• Like 1

Mostly rod failures occur because the aluminum fractures, or a bearing failure from oil problems snap the rod. The motors are not impossible to do, but they are expensive and time consuming to do. Add in timing chain and gear issues, cracks in blocks and heads, manifold problems, water tube problems........babbitt bearings and inserts........piston choice and compression choice...........even correct hardware.....all adds up to time. Also, knowing the “in” crowd who have figured most of this out is also a benefit. Little things like the camshaft lobes each have an oiling valve in them that operates every time the cam comes around wiping oil on the lifter......it’s just a bunch of stuff going on. Add in making all the gaskets and it’s just a bunch of time......which equals a bunch of dollars. It doesn’t make sense to have someone do a Stutz engine for the first time......the learning curve is expensive, and failures of rebuilds are VERY common. It’s just not a flat head Ford, and most shops treat them that way. And it comes back and bites them in the ass.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The duraluminum rods are junk. You need to replace them with steel ones.

Or new Carrillo rods.....hey, it’s only money. Then you got to figure out the bearings. Either way, Packard rods are getting hard to find today......you might have to buy an entire engine..........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Just now, edinmass said:

Or new Corolla rods.....hey, it’s only money. Then you got to figure out the bearings. Either way, Packard rods are getting hard to find today......you might have to buy an entire engine..........

Is George making them?  I paid about 4K 15 years ago for my steel super eight rods, plus machine work to make them fit.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, roaring20s said:

Thanks to all for the comments on this special car.  It has now been sold.

congratulations John on selling a great car!  This shows special stuff can still find a home even as a project.

Maybe you can gently ask the new owner to keep

us posted on progress?

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...