Archived threads - Question for moderators

Concerning archived thread 

Is it possible to re-activate an old thread in order to comment on it? 

I've recently had someone reach out to me about a transmission thread from 2013. They're able to reach out to me in PM, but now I'm curious if we ever have a need for an archived thread to be active would it be possible to do?

Regards
Dave

5 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Concerning archived thread 

Is it possible to re-activate an old thread in order to comment on it? 

I've recently had someone reach out to me about a transmission thread from 2013. They're able to reach out to me in PM, but now I'm curious if we ever have a need for an archived thread to be active would it be possible to do?

Regards
Dave

Same here Dave. I've been coming across a lot of archived threads also and some not even very old. I often do searches for technical help and come across these archived threads and are unable to open for more possible questions or comments. What's the reason for them having become archived and is there any work-around for them

1 hour ago, Peter Gariepy said:

OK... i guess i'm confused.  Archived? Can you give me an example?

At the bottom of this thread is says "Archived, this topic is now archived and is closed to further replies"...

The way I found the thread was because the guy who asked me a question in the PM told me the month and year, I then went to my attachments  and found it.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
16 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

At the bottom of this thread is says "Archived, this topic is now archived and is closed to further replies"...

That is the first time I've seen posts archived on this forum. Other forums I've been on have used archiving to save space in the database which makes the forum operate a little faster. Archiving can be turned off and archived posts can be restored to normal but Peter will be the one to make that decision.  I personally don't like the archiving but Peter may have his reasons for archiving posts.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

I would definitely agree with that...

Was just curious since I'd never seen it before. 

Although I could see it coming into play if someone passes away and others try reaching out to find out what happened to them or if a family member is trying to continue a project or trying to sell it, etc...

Actually the more I think about it, one can think of many reasons why a thread may need to be re-activated...

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)