For Sale: 1931 BUICK Eight, Series 90, Model 96 Victoria five-passenger Coupe - $25,000 - Colchester, VT - Not Mine - Still available, same price, $25,000, July 2021: -Still Available, Same Price: $25,000, September 2021:

58L-Y8

For Sale: 1931 BUICK Eight, Series 90, Model 96  Victoria five-passenger Coupe - $25,000 - Colchester, VT - Still available, same price, $25,000, July 2021: - Still Available, Same Price: $25,000, September 2021: See new link below.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/d/colchester-buick-coupe/7195887058.html

1931 Buick 2-door, surprisingly good original condition for 90 years old.  Straight 8 engine, 3-speed manual, 132" wheelbase.  This was the "top-of-the-line" car for it's day.  Nice chrome, wood-spoke wheels, tires. Original upholstery.  Runs and drives well, no shakes, pulls, rattles. Easily cruises at 60.  Has had one repaint over the years, overall great patina throughout. Even smells good.  Has a great "gangster" look. Perfect for parades, weddings, etc.  Easy restoration, or enjoy as is. Reasonable offers considered.  Hoping to find a buyer who will appreciate the car as is.

Contact:  Please reply by text, (802)-9-nine-9-two-6-4-two, or email link. I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize, sorry.  Thank you, Dave

Copy and paste in your email:  8e04b16a8f30306e8d70f0b49c8eace6@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1931 BUICK Eight, Series 90, Model 96  Victoria five-passenger Coupe.   Note: This is the top-line Buick Series 90 with the 345 cu. in. OHV Straight Eight.

'31 BUICK 8-96 coupe VT a.jpg

'31 BUICK 8-96 coupe VT b.jpg

'31 BUICK 8-96 coupe VT c.jpg

'31 BUICK 8-96 coupe VT d.jpg

'31 BUICK 8-96 coupe VT e.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Still available, same price, $25,000, July 2021: - Still Available, Same Price: $25,000, September 2021: (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Cool car.  I was looking at this a year ago this time.  Price is about the same.  Might have been 29 at that time.  It's been on the market even longer.  My guess is even though it is a high end car in a nice body style,  the market just isn't there for it.  There are open cars coming on the market for the same or similar money. 

Glad i didn't buy this as I ended up with my Auburn a few months later and that is a Phaeton.

• Like 3

Yes this Buick has been on this site before.  It is a cool car.  Lots to choose from in the 25 ish range.  Saw a 36 Ford phaeton here in CT at 26k today, and have seen a couple 35 Ford phaetons this summer for just a little more.  Just a couple examples...  

• Like 1

C'mon guys !  It's a 90 series car.  Unobtainium normally and here it languishes. ???   Wow.  I'd love to have it for $25,000 but I am never going to be in that ball park.  My 401k only has $90,000 in it at age 56 1/2.   I might have a net worth of $125,000 with home equity.  Great credit, but I don't need to buy a car like this and wring my hands over overspending.  With my luck, the motor would blow up after a week of ownership, then I would have an expensive boat anchor.   But all you guys commenting run around with $25K in your pocket, you should buy this car. 

• Like 2

As has been said.  It's not so much what it is or isn't, it's simple economics of what you can buy for the same money.  I guess no one is in love with it enough to pull the trigger,  especially after a year.  Take that stack of 25,000. if you could buy any one of the cars on the market in the last year with that stack of greenbacks,  would you have spent it on this or something else considering everything you have seen in the last year.  The reason I didn't buy it.  I had the cash and the car is within a 2 hour drive.  I talked with the owner a few times.  Just too much other candy at the Buffet right now.

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1931 BUICK Eight, Series 90, Model 96 Victoria five-passenger Coupe - $25,000 - Colchester, VT - Not Mine - Still available, same price, $25,000, July 2021:

Still available, same price, $25,000, July 2021:

BUICK 1931 8-96 coupe - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

1931 Buick 2-door, surprisingly good original condition for 90 years old.  Straight 8 engine, 3-speed manual, 132" wheelbase.  This was the "top-of-the-line" car for it's day.   Nice chrome, wood-spoke wheels, tires. Original upholstery.  Runs and drives well, no shakes, pulls, rattles. Easily cruises at 60.  Has had one repaint over the years, overall great patina throughout. Even smells good.  Has a great "gangster" look. Perfect for parades, weddings, etc.  Easy restoration, or enjoy as is. Reasonable offers considered.  Hoping to find a buyer who will appreciate the car as is.   Please reply by text or email link. I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize, sorry.   Thank you, Dave

Copy and paste in your email:  d4a6c1d11cf232a6b8311aba9d3b52da@sale.craigslist.org

Edited by 58L-Y8
Crossed out the dead CL link, (see edit history)

On 7/7/2021 at 6:07 PM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Forgive me for not taking the time to look it up, but if I recall this is the first year for the Eight, right? Was it gold from the outset, or did it have growing pains?

It was the first year for the inline overhead valve 8, Buick went from all 6 cylinder models in 1930 to 3 overhead valve straight 8's, 50 series was 77hp 221 cu in 1bbl, single plate clutch initially with open driveshaft, non-synchro trans, later in 1931 went to torque tube and synchromesh trans,  60 series was 90hp 272 cu in 2bbl with single plate clutch, torque tube drive and synchromesh trans from job1, 80/90 series was 104hp 348 cu in 2bbl with dual disc clutch, torque tube drive and synchromesh trans.  A very few early engine builds were done with bronze cam bearings which had failures and were 100% replaced with poured babbit bearings that were successful.  The bodies of the 1931 cars were mostly carryover and the new engines were cast with thinner yet very robust cylinder castings because they had to package 2 more cylinders in the same engine bays previously occupied by 6-cylinder engines.  These cars were subjected to brutal testing at the GM proving grounds with lots of wide-open throttle running before they were released for sale.     While many improvements were made over the years keep in mind Buick offered straight 8's thru the 1953 model year so was the initial design sound- yes.  Did early models have problems- not many.  They quickly earned a reputation for reliability.   Buick was credited with saving GM during the worst of automotive manufacturing times, they were introduced and survived during the great depression and helped GM weather transitions in and out of WWII.  Many other marques faded from existence including withing GM and both then (Dort, REO, LaSalle and almost Cadillac) and now (Oldsmobile, Pontiac) but Buick remained.

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
add missing text, correct grammar (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2020 at 4:45 PM, B Jake Moran said:

C'mon guys !  It's a 90 series car.  Unobtainium normally and here it languishes. 

I don't think that 90-series Buicks are unobtainable,

despite their lower production numbers.  This car, to me,

looks very dull in its faded, solid black, when so many Buicks

of the era were attractive in 2 or more colors.

If it were in better condition, and more attractive, I'd be

sitting up and noticing! 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

It was the first year for the inline overhead valve 8, Buick went from all 6 cylinder models in 1930 to 3 overhead valve straight 8's, 50 series was 77hp 221 cu in 1bbl, single plate clutch initially with open driveshaft, non synchro trans, later in 1931 went to torque tube and synchromesh trans,  60 series was 90hp 272 cu in 2bbl with single plate clutch, torque tube drive and synchromesh trans from job1, 80/90 series was 104hp 348 cu in 2bbl with dual disc clutch, torque tube drive and synchromesh trans.  A very few early engine builds were done with bronze cam bearings which had failures and were 100% replaced with poured babbit bearings that were successful.  The bodies of the 1931 cars were mostly carryover and the new engines were cast with thinner yet very robust cylinder castings because they had to package 2 more cylinders in the same engine bays previously occupied by 6 cylinder engine.  These cars were subjected to brutal at the GM proving grounds with lots of wide open throttle running before they were released for sale.     While many improvements were made over the years keep in mind Buick offered straight 8's thru the 1953 model year so was the initial design sound- yes.  Did early models have problems- not many.  They quickly earned a reputation for reliability.   Buick was credited with saving GM during the worst of automotive manufacturing times, they were introduced and survived during the great depression and helped GM weather transitions in and out of WWII.  Many other marques faded from existence including withing GM and both then (Dort, REO, LaSalle and almost Cadillac) and now (Oldsmobile, Pontiac) but Buick remained.

Thank you so very much for that detailed response.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, HarryLime said:

What would an interior cost ?   Oh.......and what are "98% spokes "? Yes, I would prefer wires .

Models that you see almost always with spoke wheels.  For example, there is a single CL Chrysler that I know of with wood wheels and it makes the car stand out.

1932ChryslerCL-69.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1931 BUICK Eight, Series 90, Model 96 Victoria five-passenger Coupe - $25,000 - Colchester, VT - Not Mine - Still available, same price, $25,000, July 2021: -Still Available, Same Price: $25,000, September 2021:

Still Available, Same Price: $25,000, September 2021:

Buick 1931 Original condition - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

1931 Buick Series 8-96 2-door coupe.  The 8-96 Victoria Opera Coupe was the top line vehicle for the 1931 year.  Original condition: straight 8 engine, 3-speed transmission.   Good original upholstery, chrome, wood wheels.  Runs and drives well; starts, stops, shifts.   Easily cruises along at 60, with no pulling, shakes, rattles. Stops well too.  Car has had one repaint over the years. Shows great patina, even smells good.
Easy restoration on a complete, rust-free car, or simply enjoy it as is.  Hoping to find a buyer who will appreciate this car as an unmolested original.  It's time for this lovely car to find a new home, any reasonable offers will be considered.

Contact:  Please reply by text, (802) 9-Nine-9-2-6-four-2, or email link.

I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize, sorry.  Thank you, Dave

Copy and paste in your email: 0a8443281f6533449b9e5b37c1e6c8c4@sale.craigslist.org

'31 Buick 8-96 vic cp VT a.jpg

'31 Buick 8-96 vic cp VT b.jpg

'31 Buick 8-96 vic cp VT c.jpg

'31 Buick 8-96 vic cp VT d.jpg

'31 Buick 8-96 vic cp VT e.jpg

'31 Buick 8-96 vic cp VT f.jpg

'31 Buick 8-96 vic cp VT g.jpg

'31 Buick 8-96 vic cp VT h.jpg

• Like 3

Supercub, The front seats not matching is pretty typical for Victoria/Opera coupe cars. Not all, but most, even many of the high end cars like some Pierce Arrows had smaller jump seats on the passenger side front. (I only mention Pierce specifically because a good friend had one and I have ridden in it.) I have seen many other makes over the years. I have also ridden in a couple mid 1920s Buick similar coupes, and their seats are similar. The driver's seat is better, because it was used all the time. With Victoria/Opera coupes, usually, the passenger front seat is folded forward, and left out of the way, with one or two passengers sitting in comfort in the back. The other big reason for the smaller seat on the passenger side front is because a smaller seat folds more easily and completely out of the way.

I really like this car. But I cannot be in the market for it. It is a bit out of my current budget, and a few years too new for one of the clubs I favor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...

This ad is like a daffodil. You know it’s Spring when it pops up again.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/d/colchester-buick-1931-original-condition/7471744023.html

Same pics, same price. I really like it. I have been tempted to contact the owner and make an offer. But I have too much going on right now. Last thing I need is something else competing for my time and money. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I suppose I'm a little less patient than this seller, But I can't imagine listing a car this way for this long.

Do they want to sell or not? Maybe they think the current inflation will make this a seem better deal. 

Edited by Leif in Calif
miss spell (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I would love to see this Buick in person!  12-14 hour drive each way from central Virginia, at least a night or two in a hotel, burning diesel fuel towing a trailer at $5.50/gal.  I like the black when I see all the other 70's/80's era cars in weird colors.  If it were only closer...  

• 1 month later...

And now, apparently banking on inflation, the seller has RAISED the price. Now listed for $32,500. Or maybe since he advertised it in Fairfield County he figures someone near NYC will pay the 30% premium. 

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/manchester-center-1931-buick-series-90/7484977258.html

I am happy about one thing: this car and seller no longer tempt me. 

• Haha 1

Sellers stock portfolio must be tanking so he is trying to make up his losses on the sale of this Buick!

• Haha 1