Australian Buicks change to centre gear handle

Wasn,t sure when Buicks in Australia, changed from right hand gear  and hand brake to centre gear change.  Saw this 23-45  and it still had right hand gear handle.  so the change must have been in 1924 as a 24 six parts  car  I had,  had centre  gear and hand brake  handles. Would pick it up but it is interstate and the border is closed due to lock down.

IMG_9210 (1).jpg

IMG_9209.jpg

Edited by Rod Wise (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Buick had right hand gear shift and hand brake along with right hand steering, up until 1913 in the U.S.   I think they just  continued this in commonwealth countries,  as there was no need to change over to left hand steering.

I hadn't seen a right shift Buick as late as 1923 before. I guess because the major components didn't change much from 1916 to 1923 it was quite possible.

Centre gear shift operation was considered 'dreadfully Trans-Atlantic' by traditionalist British people, which is what many in 'the colonies' were - when Britain was still referred to as 'Home'. My 99 year old uncle still refers to it as such.

The early Rolls-Royce 20 hp came with centre shift and there was such horror expressed that they went back to right side shift and retained in until after WW2. A few traditionalist cars with 'posh pretensions' retains right side shift - think the Riley Pathfinder. A gear lever up the trouser leg was a common hazard with up market British cars.

Many years ago I had accumulation of early Buick bits which included parts for both right and centre sift - and iron and aluminium gear box cases. All passed on to others now. 

Here is a 1917 Buick in NZ with a 'colonial' body, and right side shift.

IMG_0831 (1024x768).jpg

• Like 2

This 23-45 that came up for auction earlier this year, had centre gear shift.  So it appears some had right gear shift and some had centre, depending on where the car came from.

IMG_0023.jpg

23 a.jpg