1936-37 Cord phaeton. Back top window Wanted

West Peterson

West,

To be absolutely correct for judging:

The top on an early 1936 phaeton does not have a removeable back window curtain.  The rear window on these early cars is the small oval,  commonly seen on convertible coupe cars. 

Late 1936 and all 1937 phaeton tops have a removable rear window curtain, which uses the larger oval window.

Try backing up a phaeton with a small rear window.....and you will know why the change was made.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mike brady said:

West,

To be absolutely correct for judging:

The top on an early 1936 phaeton does not have a removeable back window curtain.  The rear window on these early cars is the small oval,  commonly seen on convertible coupe cars. 

Late 1936 and all 1937 phaeton tops have a removable rear window curtain, which uses the larger oval window.

This car is #2335, so relatively late 1936. In photos in the big Cord book, I see four different styles: the small oval, the large oval, and a long rectangle. In addition to the split window on some early cars (show car, perhaps?).

Yes, you will find photos showing different rear windows.  However, if you don't also know the serial number, the photos alone will not determine if a particular car is considered early or late. I have photos of my Cord (2288H) taken ~ 1939, which show the small window and one piece top (without the removable back curtain).  A friend owns 2300H which was has won primary and senior at Auburn.  It is also considered early and has the small rear window.  I don't know what serial number is considered the end of the early run, but I can find out if your interested.

There are other early/late features that we might see in a photo.  You can send me a photo in a PM, if you like.

I also have a correct small window frame that is available.

On 9/18/2020 at 5:13 PM, mike brady said:

Yes, you will find photos showing different rear windows.  However, if you don't also know the serial number, the photos alone will not determine if a particular car is considered early or late. I have photos of my Cord (2288H) taken ~ 1939, which show the small window and one piece top (without the removable back curtain).  A friend owns 2300H which was has won primary and senior at Auburn.  It is also considered early and has the small rear window.  I don't know what serial number is considered the end of the early run, but I can find out if your interested.

There are other early/late features that we might see in a photo.  You can send me a photo in a PM, if you like.

I also have a correct small window frame that is available.

Thank you, Mike. Our serial number is #2335, so very close to #2300. I will need to know when the change was made. I sent you a PM.