Jump to content

Hurricane Sally pounding Mobile, Alabama, and the Florida Gulf coast


Recommended Posts

Looking at the wind and up to 30 inches of rain, along with coastal flooding and wave action, concerned for our friends and AACA Deep South Region members in the Mobile, Alabama area, as well as for others along the Mississippi and Florida Gulf Coast, and while thankful that, while the prior path of Hurricane Sally was directly through our home in Metairie, Louisiana, we're wishing the best to those who may now suffer damage and destruction along her path.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Were keeping an eye on this too. Lots of AACA folks there, and our son lives in Citronelle, just north of Mobile. He is on high ground there but no doubt his fish pond and swimming pool will be overflowing. His 55 acres is on a hill but the long road to his house has a few low places.  Will be talking to him tomorrow evening to see how things are going. 

Terry

Link to post
Share on other sites

This 2020 is some wonderful year....

     Deaths of many of our childhood idols, Waves of coronavirus,

Hurricanes Galore, Deathly Wild Fires out West, Shootings and Rioting and Looting all over this nation....All our Car Shows cancelled, including HERSHEY...... Did I miss anything????

 

     Anybody got ANY Good News, no matter how small ???????

 

    Stay safe to anybody and everybody affected by these latest

Tragedies and Events......

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mobileparts said:

Anybody got ANY Good News, no matter how small ???????

 

I'm recovering nicely from the hernia surgery that I had last Friday and the doctor gave me a prescription for 30 Oxycodone pills so I'm not feeling any pain right now.... :)

 

 

0611C1BF-68D2-43B2-BFB3-3402E079C4B9.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had seven of them fixed...and never touched any pain medication.........obsessive compulsive personality means live with the pain,  don't want to get exposed to something I can easily have a problem with. Lots of good people kicked down due to that stuff........

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Studemax said:

80MPH is hardly pounding.

When a storm packing 80mph winds is travelling 2mph, it can really tear stuff up while it sits on top of you. Would much rather deal with a fast-moving storm, but don't want to deal with one at all.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lebowski Hope your road to recovery goes well.

About ten years ago I went in for a regular checkup and found out I had one.

Went for an appointment with the surgeon and he said I may have more than one.

Turns out I had hernias in 3 of the 4 places you can get them.

I've got mesh completely covering the inside of my gut now so I know all too well what you're going through.

Be well, and hope you're back on your feet in no time.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shared some text msgs with my son in Citronelle Al this morning.  Storm has taken an Easterly track and he has been on the Western side of things.  Says wind wasn't too bad there, some branches down in the pasture but rain has not been as bad there as anticipated.  He has not had to drain excess water from the pool and all the fish are still in the pond just downhill from his backyard.  He still has power so all is well as it continues to move further away.  He still should have some heavy rain bands moving through but expects it will be continuing to move away from him.  Citronelle is about 45 mins NNW of Mobile. 

Terry

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

You can become addicted in 3 days!!

 

Thanks for the kind words and warnings. On the container it says to take one pill every 4 hours for 5 days but I'll be damned if I'm going to get up in the middle of the night to take one because if I'm sound asleep I'm obviously not going to be feeling any pain. I promised my wife that I wouldn't drive at all this week including one extra day after the pills are gone so I should be back on the road next Tuesday. As far as becoming addicted, when they're gone they're gone and I know that the doctor won't give me any refills so I'm not worried about it. In November 1981 when I was 29 I quit smoking and drinking cold turkey on the same day after a good friend of mine killed a 21 year old woman while driving drunk so I'm not concerned with freaking out or climbing the walls when I'm out of them. Thanks again for your concern.... :)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to think just like Ed, then had a large section of lung removed... I sometimes wonder how people get addicted but I know it’s a problem! Once I got released I took 1/2 pill each night so I could sleep, on my 4 week visit I was done with them and still had 3/4 of the bottle left and the surgeon still asked if I needed more! That is where the addiction comes in, but when I needed them thank god I had them...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, edinmass said:

I have had seven of them fixed...and never touched any pain medication.........obsessive compulsive personality means live with the pain,  don't want to get exposed to something I can easily have a problem with. Lots of good people kicked down due to that stuff........

39 surgeries with full anesthesia in the past 12 years.  No pain meds.  I use ice.  I don't take meds who's side effects are worse than the symptoms they're masking.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, George Cole said:

 I use ice.  

 

39 operations, that's a record nobody want's to break! I use ice also, but with Vodka!  (not for taste only effect) but I only had 11 with full anesthesia.

 

Hey Lebowski, good luck with the recoup, 4 of those 11 surgeries of mine were hernia operations and one was to remove an infected hernia mesh. 

 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, edinmass said:

39......that’s over the top.......I’m at seven......over the last ten.......Hopefully no more service work will be required for either of us!

I wish.  10 carpal tunnel.  10 cubital tunnel (elbows)...that's where they took my funny bone nerve out, scraped the crap off of it and then put it back.  Fourth time the doc did it he wrapped the nerves in cadaver tissue.  (I asked in advance if I could pick my own cadaver.  He said no.)  Didn't work.  Had to go in again and cut the cadaver away and replace it with plastic tubing.  Still not right, but I've leaned to live with hand cramps and pain.  Once again I've got a lump the size of half a golf ball growing in the instep of my right foot.  Smaller one in the left.  Foot surgeon says he won't cut them out anymore so I need to learn to live with them.  Like walking with a stone in each shoe.  Last surgery was hip arthroscopy.  It didn't work.  Now need hip replacement.  No rush.  I'll deal with the pain for a while.  Knees also giving me problems.  All because of my screwed up feet making me walk crooked.  But none of it's fatal...I'll continue thanking the Lord for keeping me on the green side of the grass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, George Cole said:

I wish.  10 carpal tunnel.  10 cubital tunnel (elbows)...that's where they took my funny bone nerve out, scraped the crap off of it and then put it back.  Fourth time the doc did it he wrapped the nerves in cadaver tissue.  (I asked in advance if I could pick my own cadaver.  He said no.)  Didn't work.  Had to go in again and cut the cadaver away and replace it with plastic tubing.  Still not right, but I've leaned to live with hand cramps and pain.  Once again I've got a lump the size of half a golf ball growing in the instep of my right foot.  Smaller one in the left.  Foot surgeon says he won't cut them out anymore so I need to learn to live with them.  Like walking with a stone in each shoe.  Last surgery was hip arthroscopy.  It didn't work.  Now need hip replacement.  No rush.  I'll deal with the pain for a while.  Knees also giving me problems.  All because of my screwed up feet making me walk crooked.  But none of it's fatal...I'll continue thanking the Lord for keeping me on the green side of the grass.

None of it's from repetitive motion.  Dupuytren's Contracture.  It's hereditary.  The only thing my Dad left me...other than the bill for his mortuary services.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, John348 said:

 one was to remove an infected hernia mesh. 

 

I asked my surgeon about that and she said that this newest type of mesh never needs to be replaced. In case anyone is interested it's called Ventralex and it has polypropylene on one side and gore on the other. My brother lives in the Orlando area and he said there's a lot of TV commercials there from lawyers who are looking for clients who have had to have the mesh removed. Hopefully I won't have any problems with mine. Here's some more info on it including a short video....

 

https://www.crbard.com/Davol/en-US/products/Ventralex-ST-Hernia-Patch

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Geez guys - all this talk about your operations is a sure sign of old age.  There was a time when we used to talk about car stuff.  Now we talk ourselves deteriorating faster than bare sheet metal in salty water.  Tonight I'm pouring a we-dram of "the water of life" and toasting our son making it thru the storm  - and toasting to the health and safety of all our old car friends. 

Terry

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lebowski said:

 

I'm recovering nicely from the hernia surgery that I had last Friday and the doctor gave me a prescription for 30 Oxycodone pills so I'm not feeling any pain right now.... :)

 

 

0611C1BF-68D2-43B2-BFB3-3402E079C4B9.jpeg

 

Get well soon!  Glad to see it hasn't impacted your contributions to the Forum.  Best wishes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 10:11 PM, Marty Roth said:

Looking at the wind and up to 30 inches of rain, along with coastal flooding and wave action,

concerned for our friends and AACA Deep South Region members in the Mobile, Alabama area,

as well as for others along the Mississippi and Florida Gulf Coast,

 

and while thankful that,

while the prior path of Hurricane Sally was directly through our home in Metairie, Louisiana,

we're wishing the best to those who may now suffer damage and destruction along her path.

 

Best wishes to all our members and their families in the path of the hurricane.  You're in our thoughts and prayers.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • gwells changed the title to Hurricane Sally pounding Mobile, Alabama, and the Florida Gulf coast

Let us all be so thankful that the reports here telling us that many of those who live in the area hit by the storms have survived and are doing well.

Let's try to look forward to 2021 and hope and pray that there are no further disasters : storms, fires, violence etc and we can all get some peace and guaranteed good times in with our old cars no matter what vintage ,body style etc. to allow us to cope with all the other grief we encounter in person or see on the tv news. For those of you who "were gonna get to it some day" make the effort, save your pennies and attend the Eastern National Fall Meet and flea market in Pennsylvania. It is indeed magical and the memories gained from being there and the friendship (and friends worldwide) encountered is like no other car event. I have attended for 55 years and it is a joy to behold and have the memories of afterwards - the HERSHEY experience is the elixir  we all need.

Walt

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Walt G said:

Let us all be so thankful that the reports here telling us that many of those who live in the area hit by the storms have survived and are doing well.

Let's try to look forward to 2021 and hope and pray that there are no further disasters : storms, fires, violence etc and we can all get some peace and guaranteed good times in with our old cars no matter what vintage ,body style etc. to allow us to cope with all the other grief we encounter in person or see on the tv news. For those of you who "were gonna get to it some day" make the effort, save your pennies and attend the Eastern National Fall Meet and flea market in Pennsylvania. It is indeed magical and the memories gained from being there and the friendship (and friends worldwide) encountered is like no other car event. I have attended for 55 years and it is a joy to behold and have the memories of afterwards - the HERSHEY experience is the elixir  we all need.

Walt

 

Well-said, Walt,

 

This will be the first time since 1983 that I've not attended "HERSHEY" -

of course, It will not be the same without the Flea Market, Car Corral, multiple Club Meetings, 

but I'll also miss my  judging team and Judge's Breakfast -

mostly the camaraderie !

On 9/15/2020 at 10:56 PM, Studemax said:

80MPH is hardly pounding.

Studemax , when YOU have to deal with it for 24-48 hours, then, and only then would you be entitled to pass along such a demeaning comment!

On 9/16/2020 at 10:15 AM, rocketraider said:

When a storm packing 80mph winds is travelling 2mph, it can really tear stuff up while it sits on top of you. Would much rather deal with a fast-moving storm, but don't want to deal with one at all.

 

Thank you, rocketraider !

On 9/16/2020 at 11:12 AM, John_Mereness said:

Try is with a slow moving storm

John, You're correct, and thankful for those spared!

 

By the way, Sally came in over Gulf Shores with constant winds of 110-115 mph for 24-36 hours,

and more than 30 inches of rain in some areas.

Hope none of y'all ever have to deal with that - especially those who would be dismissive-

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

 

Well-said, Walt,

 

This will be the first time since 1983 that I've not attended "HERSHEY" -

of course, It will not be the same without the Flea Market, Car Corral, multiple Club Meetings, 

but I'll also miss my  judging team and Judge's Breakfast -

mostly the camaraderie !

Studemax , when YOU have to deal with it for 24-48 hours, then, and only then would you be entitled to pass along such a demeaning comment!

Thank you, rocketraider !

John, You're correct, and thankful for those spared!

 

By the way, Sally came in over Gulf Shores with constant winds of 110-115 mph for 24-36 hours,

and more than 30 inches of rain in some areas.

Hope none of y'all ever have to deal with that - especially those who would be dismissive-

Did I mention that dad's whole side of the family was from New Orleans and Pass Christian (on the Scenic Drive pass road off the Coast Highway) Mississippi - they all gave it up after Katrina and the operative quote was "the water is hot and the food is cold." 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...