How much has your taste in cars changed over time?

1935Packard

Thanks for posting that photo of your very beautiful car.  I have been reading the forum for several years but only recently joined.  I had never run across any posts about Garfords before, until I saw yours today but you are obviously one of the most knowledgeable people currently around today.  I have only ever seen one Garford that I know of and you are probably familiar with it.

In the early eighties I used to visit Landers Antique Autos in Elyria Ohio as we were in the same Buick Club Chapter.  

They were restoring a large probably Studebaker Garford for the Bettcher family of Bettcher Industries in Ohio. I don’t know what year it was.   I saw the car up until it was almost finished, then I moved away.  I later heard it was on display at the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum in Cleveland, but in checking their website, it is not currently listed. I think it was shown at Hershey once. 

It was quite formidable and looked older than yours.  It was very tall, a purple type color and had an open chauffeurs compartment and enclosed in the back with bud vases.  I think it was originally built for some famous business persons wife.   I don’t know where it is today but by the looks of your posts, you probably know all about it.

Thanks for posting the picture of yours.  One can never see too many Garfords!

Phil Taylor

32 minutes ago, Century Eight said:

They were restoring a large probably Studebaker Garford for the Bettcher family of Bettcher Industries in Ohio. I don’t know what year it was.   I saw the car up until it was almost finished, then I moved away.  I later heard it was on display at the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum in Cleveland, but in checking their website, it is not currently listed. I think it was shown at Hershey once. 

It was quite formidable and looked older than yours.  It was very tall, a purple type color and had an open chauffeurs compartment and enclosed in the back with bud vases.  I think it was originally built for some famous business persons wife.   I don’t know where it is today but by the looks of your posts, you probably know all about it.

https://www.wrhs.org/blog/then-now-garford-manufacturing-company/

I first saw this car restored in South Bend at the 1983 Studebaker Drivers Club International Meet.

Craig

10 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

I would also like to thank you for posting the link. I have also seen that car sometime in the past and have non digitized photos of it somewhere. Wouldn’t it have been great to have digital photography invented 30 years earlier.

You would be surprised what a digital 35mm negative or slide scanner can do.  I bought a Nikon Coolscan 5000 a number of years ago for some 4000 negatives, and it produces excellent results.

Some photos I scanned here----->   https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/6877-pictures-everybody-loves-pictures-ii

Craig

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

You would be surprised what a digital 35mm negative or slide scanner can do.  I bought a Nikon Coolscan 5000 a number of years ago for some 4000 negatives, and it produces excellent results.

Some photos I scanned here----->   https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/6877-pictures-everybody-loves-pictures-ii

Craig

A negative scanned at 6000 DPI creates a awfully clear digital image.

• Like 1

In the '90s I had a digital camera (Connectix "QuickCam" ) that was b&w and looked like a golf ball. It replaced a scanner used previously. Some of the earliest photos on my web site were taken with one. Today I like the Canon ELPH SD780is.

On 9/23/2020 at 11:21 AM, Graham Man said:

The only reason my Grandfather had money to buy his 1933 Graham in 1936 was because of the WW1 Bonus money.... interesting story the only time in American history American solders advanced on American Veterans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army

The Brookline War Memorial, WWI War Bonus Storyimage.png.c711d5cd3db8a9a9bd579d3cf9ba5409.png

Graham Man - you are incorrect. The second American Revolution that took place and caused the reorganization of our country from the Articles of Confederation to The current Republic under the Constitution had American soldiers firing on American veterans in Western Massachusetts............We called it “The Whisky Rebellion.” The other states called it “Shea’s Rebellion.” Google it. More American history no longer taught in schools. Some of the skirmish locations took place in the town of my birth, and where I lived for most of my life. Interesting read.

The Queen Ann’s War also took place literally in my home town.......and mass murder took place across the street from my current home..........atrocity’s we’re committed by both sides. The Indian Motorcycle got its name from Indian Orchard.........a small village of Springfield Massachusetts where five generations of my family were born. And where another tragedy took place.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

On 9/24/2020 at 5:18 PM, BucketofBolts said:

1912 Garford photo is a crop of smiling grand kids that need to be sitting on the back seat!! 

My 12 year old triplet grandsons much prefer to occupy one of the race cars or the rumble seat of the 34 Pontiac.  It is hard to believe that in 4 years I will be buying cars for them.

Don’t wait 4 years buy one in two and have them learn as they help get it drivable. My daughter got a Triumph Spitfire when she was 15 and we worked on it together to get it repaired, replaced the floors, painted. She has always said it was a great learning experience that paid off later in life. She’s in her 40’s now. 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 4

It is easier to define what I do not like in most cars:

1) Anything made after 1971

2) Anything that is not stock

First car was a Corvair, then a 49 Hudson, then a 56 VW bug, Kayman Ghia, 79 super beetle convertible, 66 GTO convertible, a bunch of AMC cars, and quite a few new cars.  Best new car was a 2003 Porsche 911 Turbo.  If there is a theme, I would say I like pretty much any pre-1972 convertible and air cooled cars.

I am guessing that my current car, a 1936 Chrysler Airstream Convertible, will be my last restoration project. I tend to keep my vehicles for a very long time.

Joe

I pondered this a while Saturday, after reorganizing our little shed.  I boxed up 25 or so years of Cars & Parts again, they were on a shelf for a year or so but I have so much reading backlogged I am not likely picking up a random copy anytime soon, but still cannot part with them.  I started to subscribe in 77, at age 14.  Dropped when prewar coverage went from 80/20 to 10% of the content, around 2000.  So I am still largely a prewar guy, especially with American cars.  In it's heyday, a tough magazine to beat, and I personally found the detail in the articles much better than most pubs out there today.  

20200926_121844.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Personally appreciate all forms of self-propelled devices and have a particular liking for DOHC-6s, even more now that semi-understand the engineering principles. Is interesting how "pre-war" has changed over the years. In the AACA beginning it was War 1, then for a long time War II, ask a teenager today and most will say "Nam".

"O tempora! o mores!" goes back millennia. "What's the matter with kids today" is from 1960.

So circling back to the beginning, my first car had a DOHC-6 and have two today so has not changed much. Biggest difference is when growing up the temperature stayed under 90. This century it is often (like today) over 90 so now appreciate AC a whole bunch (have added to cars that did not come with before). BTW a FIAT 124 Spyder has more vents that I have ever seen in a car. Nice.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 6:42 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I pondered this a while Saturday, after reorganizing our little shed.  I boxed up 25 or so years of Cars & Parts again, they were on a shelf for a year or so but I have so much reading backlogged I am not likely picking up a random copy anytime soon, but still cannot part with them.  I started to subscribe in 77, at age 14.  Dropped when prewar coverage went from 80/20 to 10% of the content, around 2000.  So I am still largely a prewar guy, especially with American cars.  In it's heyday, a tough magazine to beat, and I personally found the detail in the articles much better than most pubs out there today.  

20200926_121844.jpg

That is a magazine I miss; along with the old Special Interest Autos and Car Classics magazine.

Craig

• Like 1