1942 Buick 8 data help

Christian Cid

Can somebody help me identify this Buick? It is supposed to be a 42 Super 40 B, but there is no chasis number Tag and the factory plate is broken. The only thing readable in the part of the plate left is:

Body 5066
TRIM Nº 50 OKR
PAINT Nº 28
The car is in very bad shape, but the engine and chasis looks very good. 

IMG_20200912_175441.jpg

IMG_20200912_175059.jpg

I think i`m seeing side mount bosses on your block, behind the oil filter, and just in front of the exhaust header pipe. 1948 was first year for side mounts. If it has side mounts your engine is a `48 or `49. Most pre war cars were registered by the engine number(on the title)not the frame number. Your frame number tag  should be behind the right front tire, on the side of the frame.The engine number is also stamped behind the water pump, which has to be removed to see the numbers.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Look behind the oil filter, is there a square boss with threaded holes at each corner? Boss on the drivers side protrudes off the side of the block with the same square boss. The picture you posted(circle) is showing the mount bolted to the boss i`m referring to.

You are right @pont35cpe, this is a replacement engine, maybe that´s why it has no numbers stamped.

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-15 at 17.47.33 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-15 at 17.47.33.jpeg

• Like 1

A pain in the butt to pull but you will find the engine number, minus the series identifier, under the water pump.  Your driver side picture does show a 1948 or 1949.   Water pump outlet changed in 1950.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Christian Cid said:

The title shows engine number BE-124050.  It is a number that have no sense.

That number prefix is possibly an "RE" not BE. Buick started an engine replacement program since rationing made cars very hard to obtain. The "RE" designation was stamped in the block by the starter on my RE engine. The pad was left blank so the original engine number could be stamped to retain connection to title as many states used engine # to register vehicle. Ive seen many where # was not restamped leaving subsequent owners stumped about strange numbers on paper. Clean and inspect carefully and you may find the RE # on the block. If it was registered with the engine # originally and that # is still on your paperwork, you could get a number stamping kit and do what was legal and needed back in the day, which is to stamp the number on the blank engine pad. Compare that wth trying to work thru it with the DMV and for me its a no brainer! Good luck! PS Buick literature gives the starting engine serial # for each year. Comparing the # on your paperwork will help confirm if its an engine number or "vin" number from the frame or cowl tag.

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

It is a later model engine (sidemounted bosses) in a 1942 Series 41 or 41SE sedan.  The SE was a more deluxe 4-dr sedan with a better interior.  The SE stands for "Super Equipped".  The car is super rough, so good luck.  I know of another one that is just as bad in a small junkyard in Warsaw, Virginia.  I have the name and number for the owner, but the car has no title.  I know, because I gave it to him.

• Thanks 1