Had a friend ask for help identifying a family car. So far a 1918 Something? Touring Car....

Had a friend ask for help identifying a family car..  the oval port window should give it away?

UPDATE:

So far Chandler and Kline are the closest they have the correct fenders, lights and seat back painted support bar.  They are missing... rear door handles (conventional opening doors), and small cowl lights.  Picture was taken in the early 1920's.

image.thumb.png.1fbd41d144adeed8f9f651b2e0e61793.png

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)

Ron H will have to look at this one. Could be a KIssel. The top is unusual, not only the porthole, but the unusually long back sides. Such "portholes" (sometimes called "lites" or "lights") were sold after-market and could be used on any car, but the odd top suggests it to be original to the top at least. There appears to be a small lamp near the bottom of the windshield bracket. That could be a clue, or another after-market marker lamp (required in some municipalities).

The car also bears some resemblance to one model of Studebaker, and a few of Paige. However, I doubt it is either of those. But I could be wrong. 

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)

White motor cars used them.......but a few years later than the car in the photo. I agree they are unusual, and could be custom added items.

1917 Chandler Type 17 looks correct, but no cowl lights and not the correct top.  The car is new enough in the picture I am guessing it would be original.  You can see the top supports in the picture.  Could it be an optional "Town Car" top design?  Wow not many cars had cowl lights in 1917, so far Model T and Haynes.

image.thumb.png.b8b2e89917634e764145507af7e6262b.png

Looking some more at the one I posted above, the 1918 had rear hinged back doors and the subject car would appear to have front hinged with the fellow on the left leaning on the door handle.  The 1917 does not have exterior door handles which the subject car does - maybe right ballpark for year, different manufacture?  

All,

I can tell you that the pictured car is NOT a Kissel. Kissel did not have a model with a metal seat divider as this car has. The portholes could be after market as was said. Several Kissel models from 1919 onwards did have cowl lights standard. 
  Thanks, Ron 

• Graham Man changed the title to Had a friend ask for help identifying a family car. So far a 1918 Something? Touring Car....