For Sale: 1931 Plymouth PA Deluxe Sport Roadster

gwells

This Plymouth was restored by Leo Gephart and I bought it at auction in Auburn. It has sidemounts, trunk rack, rumble seat, wind wings and other options. It is a good driver, however, it has been sitting for a while and needs the early hydraulic brakes overhauled plus woken-up from sitting for several years.

$28,000 or best offer.

Car is located near downtown Atlanta, in the O4W area, if you're familiar with the city. This car has to go to a new owner.

Contact Harry at (404) 234-3506.

p.1.jpg

p.2.jpg

p.3.jpg

p.4.jpg

p.5.jpg

p.6.jpg

p.7.jpg

SparkEE, please understand I am posting this info for the seller and what info I provide is all I have.

If you wish to have your question addressed, I strongly suggest you give Harry a call, as I don't think he's as computer-centric as many of us are.

• gwells changed the title to For Sale: 1931 Plymouth PA Deluxe Sport Roadster

It should have the Carter BB-1 Carburetor, and Keiser31 (John) is correct it has the 33 plymouth flying lady the 31-32 PA and PB share the shorter stubbier Flying lady good Eye fellows also looks like it does not have the 19" wheel or it has the 32-34 plymouth hubcap with 17" wheel But cannot see close enough on that one.

the 1931 had a 58 horsepower four Silverdome and the last year 1932 PB had the 65 horsepower 🙂

This Plymouth has a PB engine in it...Another note...the car was probably restored in the 60's, 70's and has nitrocellulose lacquer paint on it that is cracking.  I have driven this car 4 or 5 thousand miles since I bought it, It is fast and has good acceleration. Also the brakes (which are hydraulic) need a full overhaul. Someone put an overdrive unit in the drive train of which I have never used. 

3 hours ago, HarryJ said:

Someone put an overdrive unit in the drive train

That should be a very helpful sales feature for finding a new owner who wants an early car that can keep up with traffic without revving the engine. 

We know the 1931-32 had the Freewheeling, the overdrive unit is not factory, so based on having a PB engine in a PA and some modified Overdrive unit that did not come in 1931-32 Plymouths for that matter 33 and 34 Plymouth’s had no Overdrives So I would surmise it was not restored that the car was conditioned at some point, but probably should be sold as a nice Driver, but would never be a Senior winner with a PB engine Good luck with your sale, It still would make super nice fun driver.  I know my 1929 U  Roadster and My 32 PB Roadster are fun I can do 63 mph with my PB silver dome four banger

Cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HarryJ said:

There is an original free wheeling unit and an overdrive.

I am pointing out the things that the car should or shouldn't have keeping it original, Being I have all the early Roadsters, Harry pointed out that the car had original free wheeling unit and an overdrive Not, that’s all Ben P P Maybe someone who is a newbie should not tell a senior member what I can and cannot say, this is a post and forum which means its open to opinion’s thats all I was pointing out he said it was original.And I said It would make a super driver thats what it is! Again Harry wish you luck with your sales

Ben Pack Sand!

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2020 at 7:47 PM, thehandleman said:

We know the 1931-32 had the Freewheeling, the overdrive unit is not factory, so based on having a PB engine in a PA and some modified Overdrive unit that did not come in 1931-32 Plymouths for that matter 33 and 34 Plymouth’s had no Overdrives So I would surmise it was not restored that the car was conditioned at some point, but probably should be sold as a nice Driver, but would never be a Senior winner with a PB engine Good luck with your sale, It still would make super nice fun driver.  I know my 1929 U  Roadster and My 32 PB Roadster are fun I can do 63 mph with my PB silver dome four banger

Cheers

I appreciate the comments and insight.  How else are we to learn things.  I know what is correct on  my cars and what is incorrect and I have no problem if someone pointed it out particularly if I would be selling it.  Thanks for your knowledge and insight.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I grew up in the Southern Ohio chapter of the AACA, in the Dayton, Ohio area, where Leo Gephardt had his shop. There were at least two 31 Plymouth roadsters in our AACA chapter, and as a little kid I often rode in the red one with black fenders, which belonged to Carl Pippenger and his family (Carl & his wife are both deceased now, and their roadster sold long ago). But I also remember the other one, which was yellow. IF I recall correctly, it was owned by "Alan Eby" (not sure of spelling, but the last name was pronounced "Eebee.") Anyway, I THINK I recall hearing grownups chatting about that yellow Plymouth roadster, and I THINK I recall hearing them say that its owner drove it really fast...and that it wasn't EXACTLY original. Maybe it is this same car? 

I also think there was a boat tailed Plymouth roadster in the area, and I THINK I recall that someone said the body wasn't original. But keep in mind that these memories of mine are strictly vague wisps of recollections. I was not yet old enough to really understand the technical discussions, etc, but just recall the gist of some old discussions at cocktail parties. 

I'll have to dig through some of my parents' old photo albums from the SOC of AACA, and see what I might find...

By the way, seems to me like a great open car for the price!!