OPG booster/dual master combo?

TampaRiv

Hello again,   

I'm converting my '63 Riv to a dual master cylinder setup.  After some research (for the "facts"),  it seems there are too many choices and too many opinions out there.  My booster is inoperable, so when I saw the OPG setup with booster and dual master for $299 with free shipping, it seemed to be a good solution. 

Having my booster re-built was looking pretty spendy, and the shops are swamped.  Concours originality isn't necessary in my case.  I don't love OPG, but their kit sure seems to fill the bill at the right price for booster and dual master.  I realize there is some plumbing to do, but that's not a problem.

Has anyone used their booster/dual master combo?

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2020 at 9:07 PM, psychostang said:

I purchased this kit thru Jegs, for $279.  I haven't installed it yet, as it is designed for diisc/disc.  Eventually I'll be putting rear discs on.  In the mean time, my 65 booster is also dead.  I may just send it to Dewey for repair.

Could be I ran in to a streak of bad luck. Three years ago I installed a booster Dewey original rebuilt brake booster. I have to replace Dewey’s rebuild job within 3 years. I know nothing is perfect so I have learned to be tolerant and accepting of others. The money pissed away is one thing, but removing and reinstalling isnreally a pain.

Turbinator

The dual master cylinder AND power brake booster that came in from OPG Id as such:

1. Eye in the booster rod was too small. Took it out drilled a 1/32nd or so over.

2. The port on the booster has only one (1) port. My car is a 63 zRiviera. Had to figure out how get two ports from one.

3. Master cylinder does not want to bleed. It could very well be I’m making a mistake.

4, to be continued.

On 11/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, psychostang said:

Turbinator.  Thanks for the info.  Did you send it back?  What kind of warranty do they have?  Or, did they tell you to pound sand?

Have not sent the Dewey Rebuilt Booster back, yet. I have not called because I got vm.Dewey said 5 week turn around. I suspect Dewey will honor materials and/or workmanship. A rebuild for a braking system component  should hold up longer than three years.

I went ahead and bought another booster with master cylinder. I don’t like being out of commission for 5 weeks plus.

Turbinator

2 hours ago, Turbinator said:

The dual master cylinder AND power brake booster that came in from OPG Id as such:

1. Eye in the booster rod was too small. Took it out drilled a 1/32nd or so over.

2. The port on the booster has only one (1) port. My car is a 63 zRiviera. Had to figure out how get two ports from one.

3. Master cylinder does not want to bleed. It could very well be I’m making a mistake.

4, to be continued.

The stock '63 booster has a Y-fitting because they needed to store vacuum in the big metal can on the inner fender. The OPGI booster has vacuum storage built into it. So you can eliminate the stock storage can or you can install a metal T-fitting in the vacuum line going into the booster.

You need to bench bleed a MC before you install it in the car.

Bench bleeding the master cylinder b/4 you put it in the car is essential in avoiding problems with air in the brake lines. I’ve never done this before so there are some do - overs I’ve grown accustomed in my auto repair efforts.

Add weak aftermarket products and auto repair inexperience and the sum turns out to be a learning experience.

Turbinator

Master cylinder was bench bled.

The brake lines were bled with the help of my dear wife. The brake pedal could be a little harder for me. The brakes work real good with new dual master cylinder and brake booster AFTER fit modifications were made.

As I said the rubber O ring did not come with master cylinder, the eye of the booster rod had to be made larger to fit the pin on the brake pedal. Two people, as Jim Cannon suggested, makes removing and reinstalling the brake booster easier much easier.

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, psychostang said:

Turbinator.  Thanks for the info.  Did you send it back?  What kind of warranty do they have?  Or, did they tell you to pound sand?

‘Stand, have not sent it back yet as I’ve been swamped having fun and just haven’t had the time to get it packed up and sent back. I will get er’done.