Green Headliner Foam ---65---Custom

Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel

29 minutes ago, jframe said:

I thought all first generation Rivieras used a silver colored headliner, regardless of interior?

My 64 had a white interior with white headliner.  One of my 65's had the dark green interior and had the headliner pictured above.  My other 65 had a black interior with a silver headliner.  All 3 were original cars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pat Curran said:

My 64 had a white interior with white headliner.  One of my 65's had the dark green interior and had the headliner pictured above.  My other 65 had a black interior with a silver headliner.  All 3 were original cars.

Wow, learn something every day, thanks for the info.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jframe said:

Wow, learn something every day, thanks for the info.

My original headliner is green......saddle interior had a saddle headliner, blue interior had a blue headliner, black interiors had the silver headliner. I'm not sure what color the white interior headliners were....I would assume they were white, perhaps someone could chime in. Nobody makes the correct mint green headliner material for a 65 Riviera. I would assume most folks redo them

in  silver.

DSC03638.JPG

• Like 1

The majority from the ONE MAJOR headliner supplier uses ALMOST exclusively a white headliner & spray dyes it the color requested.  The problem with green & sometimes blue is that there are so many variteys  & shades they are almost impossible to match.  I have sent them pieces that were under moldings, etc. hidden from sun, smoke, etc. & they matched them pretty close so I was in the end happy.  

17 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

From Wildcat World this is the same paradigm.  Only the color for the custom interior headliner was applied to the foam as above Electra interior.  The general color data is available in the Color and Trim book but I am looking  for a vendor that can make that green in vinyl dye.  Ames has the dark green I need .

Did someone create that headliner from foam sheet?

I'm wanting to do a modern style hard headliner, probably from ABS plastic sheet covered with some black material. It's not in the style of this forum, but i'm wanting to do "starlight" headliner, using fiber optics. Pretty neat stuff.

• 5 months later...
On 9/11/2020 at 6:31 AM, Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel said:

I see many green interiors out there-including one for sale now-

Has anybody here restored the foam headliner?  I need the green paint for the foam or a source for green foam.

I've found some foam to experiment with.  Thanks. 

IMG_1296.jpeg

What style headliner do you call this? Was it a factory or dealer installed option? My 64 Electra 4dr 4 window hardtop came with this style when I got it. Every headliner kit I have seen has the internal bows. Does anybody make the plastic piece that gets upholstered that covers the steel ribs? 

Thanks

Steve. 

Steve, there is no great support for this board style of headliner.  

I've got 3 WIldcats that have now been changed to the bow style.  The Electra here is going to 

be my experiment in recovering with foam.  The bow plastic I've harvested from several cars.  

Fingers crossed for the result.

Ted

I have found generic foam backed cloth or vinyl headliner from stockinteriors.com The bow plastic for a few of mine mine is trashed. Someone at some point used pop rivets to hold them up In the center and on the edges. I would love to find some bows to replace mine. It is a much easier install than the bow style. 

Steve