9 / 11

STEVE POLLARD

The world will never forget 9/11 and all the people from many different nations that lost their lives due to these terrorist acts.

We pray today for those who lost loved ones on this sad day in our worlds history.

May those who died be forever remembered and rest in eternal peace.

🙏🙏

• Like 2

Never forget, I agree.  A lot of people have forgotten, though, how attacks on our country and values aren’t always so blatant and obvious.

Let’s just hope that any different government focus doesn’t affect us enjoying our cars as they were meant to be enjoyed....

• Like 7

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

A lot of people have forgotten....

I have been amazed at how many of our (so called) fellow countrymen have grown forgetful about 9-11 and complacent to what liberty and justice even mean.

Remember when the country rallied around first responders without a second thought? Now with the talk of defunding police forces being so prominent it's like we've time warped into a bizarre world of chaos and on the verge of who knows what... it's encouraging to see others aren't oblivious to our recent history and still remember the sacrifice of so many. 

God Bless all those who have had to endure the loss of a loved one on that day. 

May we never forget those souls and never forget those who fought so diligently to save so them. 

Support your local first responders lest you lose them one day....

NYFD and NYPD forever ! 

Image result for usa flag emoji

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Every year around this anniversary I hope and pray evil people won't give us a repeat performance. This year with everyone being already beat down by the plague, I'm really afraid. Hope it's baseless.

What I see and hear every day has convinced me anarchists are here, intent on doing away with civilisation. They want no laws or law enforcement, and to be able to do as they please with impunity and no fear of consequences. That is not how a civilised world works.

I'm sure they'd see us and our love of old cars and other historic things as a problem to be eliminated and destroyed at all costs.

Kyrie, eleison.

• Like 5

19 years ago -- and I remember it like yesterday.... A Tuesday morning and at 8:51 A.M. when the second tower was hit, I remember thinking, " This is war... Or Terrorism.... This is not normal."

And living here at the beginning of Long Island, 35 miles East of New York City....

I still remember the smell... I don't ever want to smell that again...

God bless us all on this day of remembrance...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mobileparts said:

And living here at the beginning of Long Island, 35 miles East of New York City....

It's one of those truly global events, even 10,000 miles away the effect was profound and most Australians would be the same as Americans in remembering that truly horrific day and exactly when and how they found out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are in NYC, go to the memorial.  Go early in the morning when people are not around. Read the names.  Its a sobering place to spend an hour.  Even more sobering is a visit to the 911 museum underground.  No laughter or smiles there, as in most museums.  

IMG_20160323_074913205.jpg

• Like 1

It was an event like November 22nd (watched while ill on a GE Portacolor) that cannot be forgotton if you were there. Was on a morning telecon and someone said turn on the TV so switched my right hand monitor to TV and thinking "like the Empire State Building in 1945 ?) then saw the second one go in.

Please don't get me started on inexpensive way to prevent....

• Like 1

People forget how core these two buildings and all the people in them were to the US economy

A Partner in our office was there  on business - he walked 6 hours to a family members home - he would not talk about it.

We had British Car Club that evening - A fellow came but was in a panic as his wife was there and missing - she died.

A Club I belong to had a tour there that day - they missed their ferry and thus missed their tour.

Over the next few weeks there was plenty of disrupting in accomplishing various business - a couple of silences on phone calls with "Oh, they died and ....

And, I live in Ohio - nowhere close.

• Like 2

"Yesterday, December 7th, 1941, a day that will live in infamy..." &

September 11th, 2001 must be the two darkest days in United States history....

Just completed "reading of the names" at the annual remembrance,

And, afterward, they played the musical piece that has no words , always chokes me up, and is my LEAST favorite music EVER -----

Taps....

God Bless us all --- to a better tomorrow ---

Let's Keep America Great !!!!!!!

• Like 4

My boss at EDS  was being placed in the crypts for cremated remains that day just across from the Pentagon. The plane that hit the Pentagon almost scraped the top of the trees to our right as it went by during Ray's service. The resulting explosion and back blast, made a lot of the summer dresses hard to hold down. Several folks are alive today because they were at Rays service and not at their desk in the Pentagon. I did not take this picture, a neighbor of Rays did on the way out. We could only leave through the Post.

image.thumb.png.f5cc12562724ecde158207a51c639541.png

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

I have been amazed at how many of our (so called) fellow countrymen have grown forgetful about 9-11 and complacent to what liberty and justice even mean.

Remember when the country rallied around first responders without a second thought? Now with the talk of defunding police forces being so prominent it's like we've time warped into a bizarre world of chaos and on the verge of who knows what... it's encouraging to see others aren't oblivious to our recent history and still remember the sacrifice of so many. 

God Bless all those who have had to endure the loss of a loved one on that day. 

May we never forget those souls and never forget those who fought so diligently to save so them. 

Support your local first responders lest you lose them one day....

NYFD and NYPD forever ! 

Image result for usa flag emoji

Yes, it's amazing that in a mere 19 years, police officers can go from being perceived (by some) as maybe the most heroic of public servants to little more than bigoted thugs, thanks to simplistic and sensationalist media narrative, among other things. I would imagine that firefighters won't be far behind in receiving the same moral condemnation from media, celebrities, athletes and other demagogues.  Nevertheless, the vast majority of Americans are still in awe of all of those people who saved all of those lives back in 2001. And gave all those lives. Tomorrow, my city will bury a police officer who was shot and killed by two teens a couple of weeks ago.

I well remember 9/11. I had a rare day off and had promised a young friend I'd help him detail his car. I was in the shower and he was watching TV when he started beating the bathroom door and hollering come out. I came out just in time to see the 2nd plane hit. Told him we might have to postpone the detail as I was probably gonna get called back in to work. Ten minutes later I got the call.

I've been watching some of the documentaries on AHC tonight and the rage I felt 19 years ago is still with me. I was taught to not hate, but when fanatical fundamentalism does something like what happened Sept 11 2001, it is nearly impossible not to. It's why I think hatred-based extreme faiths need to be squashed. You do not murder nearly 3000 people, plus later casualties as a result of the mayhem, and expect a reward except in a perverted version of faith.

My own Episcopalian faith was sorely tested that day.

Bin laden should never have received a religious funeral. The head should have been severed and the body tossed to the sharks.

And I fully expect this post to be censored, so read quick.

• Like 1

I was a Foreman of a small crew finishing a job off on 57th and 5th ave in Manhattan that day. I rode in with a friend of mine and fellow union electrician on the Long Island Railroad. As we were walking to share a cab uptown I remember it was a Tuesday and one of the clearest days I could ever remember in NYC. We were contemplating getting back on the train and head back to Long Island to do some surf fishing, but.

My wife called me to tell me that a plane hit the Trade Center, I figured it was somebody in a small plane. The apprentice came back with break and told us what he saw looking down 5th Ave. We went down to the street and realized it was no small plane.

We went back to work and my wife called me again suggesting I should head home. One of the guys always listened to his walk man, I noticed his eyes started to "bug out" as my wife said "oh no there is a second plane oh no oh no"  and my phone cut out, and the signal cut out on my partners radio as well. We went down to the street and decided to go back upstairs lock up and get the 'blank' off of the island. Two of us lived on Long Island, the apprentice lived in The Bronx and guy with the radio lived in New Jersey, and off we went.

Myself and the other fellow from long Island started walking to the 59th Street Bridge, we had decided to stop for an "eye opener" in a bar we passed before the journey. So after three or four eye openers we started for the bridge. It is important to keep in mind none of us in the city really had any idea of what was going on. As we going in to the bar a fighter plane flew over, and that was real strange

It was a good a thing we did stop off because as we got to the bridge I saw an electrical contractor's van waiting on line to drive over. The Police had all of the traffic going out bound, and would stop vehicles from entering on the bridge if there was any traffic buildup. The driver of the van and I went through our apprenticeship together, and graduated in the same class. The side door of the van opened and we jumped in. There 3 or 4 other guys in the van that he picked up just because they had IBEW shirts on. He told us he was going to Greenpoint Brooklyn to drop off the van and was heading east on the Long Island Expressway and would give a ride to any exit along the way. At his company's yard it was on the water directly across the east river from what was the Trade Center, and I was able to use the company's lan line call my wife, and asked her to meet me at exit 38, and go to the bank and get as much cash as she could take out ASAP. We went across the street and waited in a bar for my fellow classmate who had some details to tend to at the shop to get us. Keep in mind all of you knew more then those of us in NYC did at the time. we had no communication The only way to describe how I felt was numb, as we looked over the river there smoke rising where the Trade Center was. We left and headed east, there was no traffic and all of the entrances to the city heading west toward the city. They were closed and blocked off with the Volunteer Firefighter equipment. I met my wife and I was at my house by 12:30 that afternoon. 

I went fishing on the Long Island Sound that afternoon. When I got home my wife informed me that my employer called. I called back and was told that we were needed to get the fiber optic cable temped out so the exchanges could get up and running by Monday, and to report to Stuyvesant High School on Thursday at 5:00 AM, and we did what we had to do.

There were three things that amazed me then

1.  the size of "the pile" was much lower then one would think, maybe 50'-60' high.
  2. there was nothing that was recognizable in all of the derbies, not a chair, desk, light fixture shoe or anything, just dust, and twisted steel
  3. I never saw cable reels that big in my life that arrived.

The contractor I was working for lost 4 employees and my union had lost 17 total. I had worked on 7 WTC when it was going up in the 80's that one collapsed later in the afternoon, the south face of the building took a bad hit from the debris of tower one. 

While it is nice to say never forget, there are some of us who do want to forget

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John348 said:
  •  the size of "the pile" was much lower then one would think, maybe 50'-60' high.
  • there was nothing that was recognizable in all of the derbies, not a chair, desk, light fixture shoe or anything, just dust, and twisted steel

Wow, what a story John.....my younger brother was a Sheriff's Deputy for Putnam County, NY and went down to ground zero to help with traffic control with the trucks removing the debris from the site.... I remember him telling me what he saw while there... he doesn't talk about it anymore.   

Every year on the anniversary date I recall vividly that I was in my classroom teaching kids art that were ages 5 to 12. A custodian passing by in the hall came in and  took me aside and told me what happened. There I was thinking how do I deal with this for kids that age that may have just lost a parent, family member or neighbor - or the parent(s) of their close friends. I had to not show any emotion and just wondered how the school would let the nearly 1,000 kids in the school go on, get home, etc. All of them were my students , all of them were "my kids" that I had known most all of their lives.  Many had parents who were commuters into NY via the railroad here in our village that is 30 miles away from NY City but is a very tight knit community of quiet tree lined streets with 60 to 100 year old homes.

Never fail to think of what happened, and now tell your friends and family how much you love them.  Our car friends are our family , closer in many respects as we spend more time with them as they are like us ( most of our relatives just tolerate our eccentric nature to collect used cars and everything that goes along with them) . Be well all.

Walt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1