1940 Speedometer?

kingrudy

My speedometer is not working, disconnected cable from head and I am getting ready to send this to a speedometer shop. I am now obsessing about the appearance of the unit. Is it correct, or not. The one in the car is a 120 mph unit and it was refreshed five years ago. I checked my parts manual and it lists only one number for the speedometer (1565777) as being correct for 1940. This would lead me to believe that all speedometers that Buick installed in 1940 were 110 mph. 

I purchased a speedometer from 1940 with the 110 mph and the "Bright Lights" at the bottom of the bronze bezel with the intent of restoring this and installing it in my car. I am aware that the cream colored plastic is not going to line up with the tic marks on the clear mph indicator, but I think that I can make that pretty close. Could Buick have installed the 120 mph unit (1566016) in these cars later in the year? Suggestions, recommendations?

Thank you,

5 hours ago, kingrudy said:

I am aware that the cream colored plastic is not going to line up with the tic marks on the clear mph indicator, but I think that I can make that pretty close

Mike, I think you'd be better off just using the 120 for your car.  No one's going to notice except an expert.  If you use a 110 and try to adapt the plastic insert from a 120, I don't think it's going to look good.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neil morse said:

Mike, I think you'd be better off just using the 120 for your car.  No one's going to notice except an expert.  If you use a 110 and try to adapt the plastic insert from a 120, I don't think it's going to look good.  Just my opinion.

What he said. Plus, your car will go 10 MPH faster this way/

• Haha 2