Wanted 9/16-22 bottom tap. Special thread.

just me

Need a 9/16-22 thread per inch bottom tap. Special thread. No luck on eBay, Amazon, or McMaster Carr. Did locate one in Mass. Little pricey $133.00. Called Widell in Michigan and left a voicemail.

Any other sources? Need to tap just one new brass nut. 

Thanks in advance

Charley

Take it to a machine shop and have them cut the threads internally, any manual or CNC lathe can do that. They'd probably do it for 20 bucks or a box of donuts. A good assortment of a dozen donuts has very high value in a machine shop.

If it's just brass, a person could make their own tap of mild steel too. Lathe cut external threads and then cut flutes like a tap.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, just me said:

Thanks Greg but I need 22 thread per inch. It's a special thread. 

Best

Charley

Sorry Charley,

I misread that one I guess. I checked all of mine, I have a pretty good selection, but no luck. Darn.

15 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Charley, that’s a real strange thread.......where on a Cadillac does it go?

Ed

It's for a Star brass speedometer for our 1908 F Buick. Where the brass cable hooks to the speedometer. 

Wish you had needed and bought one for your White. Then I could of borrowed it. O well, that's how my luck goes.

Best

Charley

8_EF470004-2B32-3679-F58CEAEAC8963286 (1) (1).jpg

• Like 2

If I had one it would be yours.........Unfortunately my White is the USS or ALAM system, which is fifty times harder to deal with. Nothing exists for any dollar amount. You make every nut, bolt, and screw you need. 

As to the nut, are you sure you cannot get a model T part or maybe something from www.restorationstuff.com ?

Sidenote:  as to a die if needed - If cross threaded I recentl y sat for a couple hours with a thread file to correct cross threading (on the Auburn about two months ago)?  Or, you can often get the part chucked up in a lathe and have someone hand turn the treads (which is sort of a lost art, but sure there are some people alive that can do it still) ?

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

28 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

As to the nut, are you sure you cannot get a model T part or maybe something from www.restorationstuff.com ?

Sidenote:  as to a die if needed - If cross threaded I recentl y sat for a couple hours with a thread file to correct cross threading (on the Auburn about two months ago)?  Or, you can often get the part chucked up in a lathe and have someone hand turn the treads (which is sort of a lost art, but sure there are some people alive that can do it still) ?

John

It's for the female nut that attaches the speedometer cable to the male thread.

I guess it's the 22 thread per inch that is the roadblock. 

Just ordered a tap from Western Tap in California. 

Best

Charley