Jump to content

What happened to the cars for sale section


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, HarryJ said:

What happened to the cars for sale section

 

I don't see it either.  The moderator has been in

the process of rearranging the categories, especially

the various "buy-sell" and "wanted" categories,

trying to make the forum friendlier to the user.

It should reappear soon.

Link to post

I can’t remember which post I read the explanation in Ply - but the ‘Not Mine’ section was created for 1 purpose: To keep member ad listings from getting blown off the top page in a matter of hours. Also the ‘Not mine’ ads are usually from Craigslist or eBay which are notorious for being cancelled and becoming a dead link very quickly.
Creating it solved the problem - instantly.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
  • Peter Gariepy changed the title to What happened to the cars for sale section
9 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

And now the Not Mine section is missing. AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

 

Not True.  See image.

 

23 hours ago, JACK M said:

Don't much like the new format.

 

Without some specifics as to why your comment is pointless.

 

23 hours ago, Fossil said:

Just my opinion but I can't see where anything was gained by making these changes. I would like to see the format returned to what it was. 

Thank you. 

 

I disagree. And no.

 

 

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/182-buy-and-sell-automobiles-and-parts/

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 7.14.55 AM.png

 

Link to post
33 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

 

Without some specifics as to why your comment is pointless.

 

Maybe pointless but sure seems that not many see this change as a positive thing.

Specifically it is very difficult to use.

Link to post
19 minutes ago, JACK M said:

...sure seems that not many see this change as a positive thing.

 

I disagree.  I've only had a few negative comments.  You do not get to speak for "many".
There have been over 40 posts in the buy/sell are since the change. And 1000s of views. People are posting and viewing the forums. That tells me people have adapted to the change.

 

19 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Specifically it is very difficult to use.

 

"Difficult to use"?  The forums work EXACTLY as before, they've simply been re-arranged.

I get it. You don't like the change. But without specifics as to why, or proposing an alternative solution, I'm not in a position to "fix" it.

Link to post

To be able to look at cars for sale I could look at the cars for sale forum and the not mine forum.

I don't care what brands they are and I think most of us here just like to browse a list of what's out there not necessarily by brand.

With these for sale columns being brand specific that experience is gone. To much to navigate to see what is out there.

If you have a way to add up the total views now compared to total views before the change I would guess that the audience is not being reached in the numbers that they were.

I'm not looking to pick a fight, I just want to be able to browse the forum with the least efforts. Time is money and I just want to get in my daily searches and get to work with the least amount of time and effort.

I only browse the not mine section any more. I do feel that this was a good change. However, its not EXACTLY as before or I would still be seeing all the listings on the two lists.

I am of the opinion that like me many others probably are not wanting to do multiple searches in their daily browse that's all.

I am sure that all here appreciate all that you do here as do I. I suspect that you sometimes feel like you are herding cats. Sometimes you ask for opinions and this has been mine.

Thank You.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
36 minutes ago, JACK M said:

To be able to look at cars for sale I could look at the cars for sale forum and the not mine forum.

I don't care what brands they are and I think most of us here just like to browse a list of what's out there not necessarily by brand.

With these for sale columns being brand specific that experience is gone. To much to navigate to see what is out there.

If you have a way to add up the total views now compared to total views before the change I would guess that the audience is not being reached in the numbers that they were.

I'm not looking to pick a fight, I just want to be able to browse the forum with the least efforts. Time is money and I just want to get in my daily searches and get to work with the least amount of time and effort.

I only browse the not mine section any more. I do feel that this was a good change. However, its not EXACTLY as before or I would still be seeing all the listings on the two lists.

I am of the opinion that like me many others probably are not wanting to do multiple searches in their daily browse that's all.

I am sure that all here appreciate all that you do here as do I. I suspect that you sometimes feel like you are herding cats. Sometimes you ask for opinions and this has been mine.

Thank You.

 

 

 

Jack,

 

"To be able to look at cars for sale I could look at the cars for sale forum and the not mine forum."
Still can. Nothing has changed.

 

"I don't care what brands they are and I think most of us here just like to browse a list of what's out there not necessarily by brand.

With these for sale columns being brand specific that experience is gone. To much to navigate to see what is out there."

You miss the ENTIRE point of the change.

There was ALWAYS marque specific buy/sell forums. They were scattered about the site. Now they are all in one place. That's LESS navigation, not more.

 

"If you have a way to add up the total views now compared to total views before the change I would guess that the audience is not being reached in the numbers that they were."

You're assumption is wrong.  Initial numbers show a net INCREASE, not a decrease. (i'll know better after a few weeks of use)

 

"I just want to be able to browse the forum with the least efforts. Time is money and I just want to get in my daily searches and get to work with the least amount of time and effort."

All the buy/sell forums are now in one place. Making it less effort to find and view ALL buy/sell items in one place. Saving YOU time.

 

Appreciate the input.  Much more helpful than "Don't much like the new format."

Link to post

Is it possible to view the for sale forums collectively?  Not sure that makes sense, but I enjoyed browsing through the postings and seeing cars I had not seen before and might not have considered as something to be interested in.  I do get the "not mine" separation and that works well from what I have seen.  

 

An example would be the neat little Studebaker lark a couple weeks back for $5K.  Had that been more local, I would have been interested in it.  Wasn't looking for one, but enjoy seeing them all.  Even the ones I can't afford or have laugher pricing.  

 

Can't please all of us, I guess.

 

Link to post
30 minutes ago, Zimm63 said:

Is it possible to view the for sale forums collectively? 

 

 

Yes and No.

 

The Marque buy/sell sub-forums are in place because of the clubs involved.  I don't want to "merge" them into 1 "super forum" as it will upset the clubs.  So the next best solution was to put all the buy/sell forums together, which is why we are having this conversation. 

Everything is a compromise.  I believe I've implemented the best hybrid solution i could.

Link to post

I basically stopped reading the "not mine" section when it was put in that the posts would be purged regularly. Why bother to read something or ask a question if it's just going to be deleted? I know I don't contribute as much of value as a lot of the other posters, but it just feels like a waste of time to contribute anything knowing it will be deleted for no apparent reason. 

Link to post
8 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I basically stopped reading the "not mine" section when it was put in that the posts would be purged regularly. Why bother to read something or ask a question if it's just going to be deleted? I know I don't contribute as much of value as a lot of the other posters, but it just feels like a waste of time to contribute anything knowing it will be deleted for no apparent reason. 

 

Is that true?   I wonder why?  I guess I'll stop posting there too.

 

That is a shame because there is some good material in those threads.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
Link to post
41 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I basically stopped reading the "not mine" section when it was put in that the posts would be purged regularly. Why bother to read something or ask a question if it's just going to be deleted? I know I don't contribute as much of value as a lot of the other posters, but it just feels like a waste of time to contribute anything knowing it will be deleted for no apparent reason. 

 

I purge "not mine" for a valid reason. Most posts contain external links to Ebay or Craigslist.  The links (and corresponding info and photos) die after a month or 2.  So basically nothing to look at anyway.  No reason to keep them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
10 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

 

I purge "not mine" for a valid reason. Most posts contain external links to Ebay or Craigslist.  The links (and corresponding info and photos) die after a month or 2.  So basically nothing to look at anyway.  No reason to keep them.

 

Peter, I will respectfully disagree.   I copy the pictures and content over from any interesting ebay or craigs list auction,  at least the ones I have been active in.   


Check out this one as an example,  there is a great discussion going ancillary to the actual car for sale:

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
16 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

 

I purge "not mine" for a valid reason. Most posts contain external links to Ebay or Craigslist.  The links (and corresponding info and photos) die after a month or 2.  So basically nothing to look at anyway.  No reason to keep them.

 

I agree with you Peter but I handle it a little different in the Reatta Buy/Sell forum where we have a thread dedicated to Craigslist, eBay, Etc. posts.

 

Instead of deleting the posts, I edit them and mark them as expired as shown below. That preserves the information the posts contain for future reference while letting members know that the link to the vehicle for sale is no longer valid so they can pass over it and move on to the next post if they choose to do so.

 

Just a thought...

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1072347793_Screenshot_2020-09-11ReattasForSaleOnCraigslisteBayEtc(1).thumb.png.1349f36ae17fe7b86781d79c1a895e5f.png

 

Link to post
9 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

I purge "not mine" for a valid reason. Most posts contain external links to Ebay or Craigslist.  The links (and corresponding info and photos) die after a month or 2.  So basically nothing to look at anyway.  No reason to keep them.

 

Yes, most postings contain external links;

but posters have been conscientiously copying

the relevant information--including contact

information for most--so that the forum postings

will be relevant much longer.

 

You'll serve the members well and help them

enhance their collections if the postings are kept

for at least 2 years.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

 

I agree with you Peter but I handle it a little different in the Reatta Buy/Sell forum where we have a thread dedicated to Craigslist, eBay, Etc. posts.

 

Instead of deleting the posts, I edit them and mark them as expired as shown below. That preserves the information the posts contain for future reference while letting members know that the link to the vehicle for sale is no longer valid so they can pass over it and move on to the next post if they choose to do so.

 

Just a thought...

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1072347793_Screenshot_2020-09-11ReattasForSaleOnCraigslisteBayEtc(1).thumb.png.1349f36ae17fe7b86781d79c1a895e5f.png

 

 

I'm not gonna take my time to do this.  I already spend enough on this forum... mostly responding to posts like this. :)

  • Like 2
Link to post

While Peter doesn’t need me to defend him........he has an almost thankless job..........and to be fair, while I have had several of my posts removed over the last twenty years......(Ok, more than several, and more than I should have.) .........which all of them deserved to be, because all of them blatantly violated the rules and policies of the club, I have never received a negative comment or notice from Peter or any of the moderators. Thus.........I will cut him a bunch of slack, and while change to this site drives me insane.......I will learn to live with and adapt as he tries to make things better for the entire membership. Criticizing somebody who is always to do their best just doesn’t make sense. 
 

Peter.......thanks for all you do, even the things that drive me crazier than I already am........enjoy your weekend. 👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4
Link to post
30 minutes ago, edinmass said:

while I have had several of my posts removed over the last twenty years......(Ok, more than several, and more than I should have.) .........which all of them deserved to be, because all of them blatantly violated the rules and policies of the club, I have never received a negative comment or notice from Peter or any of the moderators.

 

Most posts that break the rules just aren't worth getting my underwear in a bunch about. Just easier to delete without comment. :)

  • Haha 1
Link to post

While we are discussing the changes, the forum usage continue as always

  • 7,000 visitors a day
  • 50,000 page views a day
  • 70 new topics a day
  • 500 responses a day

 

In the big picture, what we are discussing in this thread is pretty trivial. As passionate as many of you are on this subject, its simply not that big a deal to most users.

Link to post

Just one hopefully constructive comment: When I post a car for sale, I use the general "cars for sale" forum and then post a pointer in the specific marque for sale forum (or vice-versa). I don't know who is browsing where, but I figure that will cover 90% of the readers. Recently I sold a 1940 Buick and had it posted in this manner, but the posting in the general for sale forum moved to the Buick for sale forum. So there are now TWO 1940 Buick Super convertible ads from me in the Buick forum and none in the general for sale forum. That doesn't seem to work properly. It should be OK to post in both areas like that as long as it's not abused. Sometimes people just like to browse but if they don't know they're looking for a Buick they may never find it.

  • Like 2
Link to post

double posts in two different 4 sale forums aren't something i pay any attention too.

I do occasionally move some for sale items to the their appropriate forum. (example i move a buick for sale in the general forum to the buick buy sell forum) but i always leave a pointer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
4 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

 

Yes, most postings contain external links;

but posters have conscientiously copying

the relevant information--including contact

information for most--so that the forum postings

will be relevant much longer.

 

You'll serve the members well and help them

enhance their collections if the postings are kept

for at least 2 years.

 

Well said, John!  Thank you!  👍

I just would have said that a member was interested in a specific car and waiting for the price to come down or perhaps attempting to obtain contact information on a buyer in the case of a car that had been sold.  That is one of the primary reasons I make the effort to post and safeguard the sellers' information by spelling out numerals.  Keeping these posts is analogous to keeping a hard copy magazine or newspaper ad.  Additionally, some photos might serve as a quick reference on how a car should, or should not, look.  JP  

 

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
correct typo (see edit history)
Link to post

I'm not trying to stir the pot here. But what exactly was wrong with the way it was? I knew where to find what I was looking for and what I had looked at before. That is not the case anymore. Your probably going to tell me nothing has changed but something certainly has. I know I'm just an old guy but I'm betting the majority of us are old guys. And lastly do subscribers have some say as to what is happening with this site?  Maybe the it would have been constructive to ask our thoughts on the changes before they were made. As members this site kind of becomes a familiar place were we can gather, visit, and feel comfortable. It would be wonderful if it stayed that way. Letting the members be involved with making or not making changes might be a good idea. 

Having been a moderator on another site I know it can be a thankless job and I thank you for your efforts.

 

 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
Link to post

I know it’s a thankless job, but to me the new layout is much harder to read.  Navigation may just seem more difficult as the appearance has changed and things have been moved around.  But my main complaint is the new graphic style.  It seems clumsy and hopelessly complex.  I much preferred the much easier to read “old” style.  Once you get into a thread, it’s fine, but getting there is just plain ugly.  Just my two cents and probably worth half that.

Link to post
14 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

FYI:  I have yet to purge anything. Oh the irony. :)

As someone who owns and operates several message boards, I know how rare it is to find someone who actually reads and follows what the admin says. You said you would purge them, so I believed you. 

 

It would seem to me that doing absolutely nothing is a lot less work than going in and purging things. 

Since most of the discussion is about the cars themselves, that info generally never stops being relevant, long after the car is sold.

Edited by Billy Kingsley (see edit history)
Link to post
14 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Since most of the discussion is about the cars themselves, that info generally never stops being relevant, long after the car is sold.

I agree with this. 

 

Long after the car is sold, the interest in the vehicle itself is still there, and may be a useful reference for a price point on a vehicle's actual market value.

 

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
Link to post
12 hours ago, Fossil said:

I'm not trying to stir the pot here. But what exactly was wrong with the way it was? I knew where to find what I was looking for and what I had looked at before. That is not the case anymore. Your probably going to tell me nothing has changed but something certainly has. I know I'm just an old guy but I'm betting the majority of us are old guys. And lastly do subscribers have some say as to what is happening with this site?  Maybe the it would have been constructive to ask our thoughts on the changes before they were made. As members this site kind of becomes a familiar place were we can gather, visit, and feel comfortable. It would be wonderful if it stayed that way. Letting the members be involved with making or not making changes might be a good idea. 

Having been a moderator on another site I know it can be a thankless job and I thank you for your efforts.

 

 

 

Fossil,

 

I get this exact comment every time I update the forum:  "But what exactly was wrong with the way it was?"  Sorry, but change is inevitable. New features, security patches. Etc.

 

"I knew where to find what I was looking for and what I had looked at before. That is not the case anymore."   Seriously? You statement is hyperbolic.

 

"And lastly do subscribers have some say as to what is happening with this site?  Maybe the it would have been constructive to ask our thoughts on the changes before they were made. As members this site kind of becomes a familiar place were we can gather, visit, and feel comfortable. It would be wonderful if it stayed that way. Letting the members be involved with making or not making changes might be a good idea. ?"  Absolutely NOT.  If changes were brought up to everyone to vote on and agree, then changes would NEVER happen. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

As someone who owns and operates several message boards, I know how rare it is to find someone who actually reads and follows what the admin says. You said you would purge them, so I believed you. 

 

It would seem to me that doing absolutely nothing is a lot less work than going in and purging things. 

Since most of the discussion is about the cars themselves, that info generally never stops being relevant, long after the car is sold.

 

I will purge then when I get around to it.  There are a few very persistent poster to that forum that go through the trouble of reposting the add and photos IN the forum. . I appreciate their efforts.  But many don't, and after the links are dead, the post no longer serve a purpose and WILL be deleted.

  • Like 1
Link to post
10 hours ago, Taylormade said:

But my main complaint is the new graphic style.  It seems clumsy and hopelessly complex.  I much preferred the much easier to read “old” style.  Once you get into a thread, it’s fine, but getting there is just plain ugly.  Just my two cents and probably worth half that.

 

I disagree.

Link to post
Just now, Peter Gariepy said:


That is a different subject that this post is about, and its already in another post. I'm researching it.

 

I figured so...., I was just being sarcastic.  :)

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...