Sign in to follow this  
R W Burgess

registered readers!

10:00 pm Eastern Standard Time----19 Registered, 21 Anonomous-----Go Registered Readers!!!!!!!!!! Wayne Burgess

Good point, Wayne...

My approach to an Anonymous:

1. May be a new person. Show them respect and "Welcome", depending on the context of their post.

2. To the "Usual" Anonymous folks...No different than hearing your phone ring, pick it up, they speak, don't identify themselves, I hang up. (Tele-Marketer syndrom.)

3. Want to be a Steady Anonymous? Good for you. Your option. However, how do you expect to receive any respectful, informative, sincere response from people that identify themselves to you? Again, there are a lot of very knowledgeable/experienced folks on this forum that go out of their way to research the answer to your query/post. Do not know how the rest of you folks feel, but, I do not have much energy to help someone that does not reciprocate by simply identifying themself.

Comes down to basic manners.

Regards, Peter J.

Very well stated, Peter! I follow your theory but offer my refinements. In the "General" or "Tech" sections, if the Anon is an obvious rookie I'll offer what advice I can and encourage him (her) to register. Otherwise, I ignore their remarks and questions. I feel that an Anon has no place in the "For Sale Wanted" section. Why would ANYONE consider doing business with an Anon? The same goes for the "Editors" section. Any editor should be proud of his/her publication and not hide his/her identity. Finally, any topic that I feel important to me will be posted in the "R&R" section where the Anons can't post.

For those of you Anons who don't register because of being paranoid of Big Brother, please understand that you don't have to be the FBI to track you down. The technology is out there and available to anyone interested in pursuing it. Since I changed my IP over 6 months ago, the only sites I visit regularly are this one, eBay, NASCAR and the Google search engine. To this date, I have not received any spam in my email box so I know that these sites are not passing out my email address. If that is your fear for not registering, think up another excuse!

Don't kick anyone out of the For Sale/Wanted section, just because they are unregistered. I got a great deal on a Rolls-Royce radiator last year.

Bob!, I guess that anon thought it was for a Model T and you didn't want to hurt his feelings, did you? wink.gif W.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't kick anyone out of the For Sale/Wanted section, just because they are unregistered. I got a great deal on a Rolls-Royce radiator last year.</div></div>

thumbsup.gif Ditto forthe great deal i got on a set of Buick bumpers I bought from an annoymous seller in September! thumbsup.gif

If you only spoke and dealt with people you already knew, who would you have ever met in the first place? confused.gifhuh.gif

I have gotten some great stea--.....I mean deals from anonymous posters........... wink.gif

fordee9r, I don't understand your tone. Someone placed an ad on this site and was not a registered "member". It was a good deal, I'd have been a fool not to buy it, emailed or phoned him (can't remember), once I got directions I drove to his home and paid for the item put in my van and drove home. What is so hard to follow on this?

Bob, I've had many similar experiences, you're interested in something, you touch base with'em, agree on a price and <bingo>it's yours.

Old Austie used to say the true value of an item is the price the buyer and seller are happy with despite so-called "price guides" and the proliferation of printed matter that attempts to set a fixed price on something.

fordee9r, How do you buy something without a name, address or e-mail? Do you leave the funds outside your door & the anon pick it up overnight? grin.gifgrin.gif

Dear Santa, As you know I've been very good this year. I could be better next year with a Model J Duesenberg. Enjoy the milk & cookies, Bob

There you have it folks, Straight from Bob, the 1937hd45er. If you expect to see Santa this year, you better be registered. Heck, even Santa needs an address or no Duesenberg! shocked.gif Wayne

Very seldom will you ever see one's name listed in the classified section of a local newspaper. Ads typically only describe the item for sale, what they are asking for it, and a phone number. I see little difference here. They give enough information for you to contact them. Once in contact, you make the deal. If you're not comfortable with the person, don't make the deal.

Ron, I just tried to send you an email based on the eddress in your profile and it got returned as invalid. This was not a test to validate this discussion. I do have a real question for you. Ron

ronbarn...

Ron, I noticed something here that I will address to PeterG.

I had sent e-mails to you and Ron Springstead and they, too, were returned.

When I deleted "remove me first" from the your addresses, the mail went through.

Where I am confused, and, hopefully, PeterG can clarify the issue, is, I use AOL and the "remove me first" text is not there. It is on both of yours, and, others who utilize services other than AOL.

Regards, Peter J.