On 9/12/2020 at 5:48 PM, auburnseeker said:

Let reports stand and let us determine what the truth is.  Don't censor either side. 

Amen to that.

Keiser31 said:

We were extremely lucky to have been spared the agony of losing our home and our cars.

And amen especially to that. Many prayers sent to your neighbors who are dealing with loss.

• Thanks 1

Did something stupid when I left. I was in such a hurry I left my truck at a friend's home without the key....in front of her neighbor's mailbox. He is not a happy camper. Oh, well. Thank you all so much for the concern and well wishes. Hope to be home soon.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
31 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Did something stupid when I left. I was in such a hurry I left my truck at a friend's home without the key....in front of her neighbor's mailbox. He is not a happy camper. Oh, well. Thank you all so much for the concern and well wishes. Hope to be home soon.

If that is the biggest mistake you make through this ordeal.... you are doing great!  

• Like 3

What a sad video. At the start it seems to show an area where the fire went in a straight line away from the other areas of fire. I wonder if it may have been a fire tornado.. something extremely rare and only documented on film twice in history. This even seems to be large enough to spawn one. I feel terrible for those people who live there.

• Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

What a sad video. At the start it seems to show an area where the fire went in a straight line away from the other areas of fire. I wonder if it may have been a fire tornado.. something extremely rare and only documented on film twice in history. This even seems to be large enough to spawn one. I feel terrible for those people who live there.

There was arson and they’ve made an arrest. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

There was arson and they’ve made an arrest. 

They have someone in custody who started a second fire on the west side of Phoenix. He was a homeless man. The Bear Creek and greenway next to it are where most of our homeless population set up camps. they have fires there a LOT, but the police do sweeps and get them out of there.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, keiser31 said:

They have someone in custody who started a second fire on the west side of Phoenix. He was a homeless man. The Bear Creek and greenway next to it are where most of our homeless population set up camps. they have fires there a LOT, but the police do sweeps and get them out of there.

For that, he'll now get FREE room and board with heat & light.  👎

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
18 hours ago, 8E45E said:

For that, he'll now get FREE room and board with heat & light.  👎

Craig

In our state he will likely be out of Jail in less than 24 hours. 

https://ktvz.com/news/fire-alert/2020/09/14/suspect-arrested-after-brush-fire-set-near-portland-freeway/?fbclid=IwAR2NWGfuKYbk8_mEtOi-8e2snmDK-E_k5fEwjWkUX48Oh0Z3wdPgGDzyCrk

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

We have a lot of haze here in eastern SD. 

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Looks like tomorrow we will be able to return to our little home.

Has to be a great feeling knowing your going home again. 👍

• Like 1

We are so much hoping for the best possible for you!. Take it easy. What you will find around your place will be difficult to see. I have never been personally involved in anything so severely destructive as your town's fire. Well, maybe I should take that back. A long time ago, my dad owned and operated a pioneer cable television system in northern California. We were among the first "outsiders" allowed in after the 1964 Northern California flood. Whole towns were literally washed away! The cable television system was considered part of the communications and news reporting systems in the area. Restoration of that service was considered vital. I saw firsthand where small towns had been. Saw the remains of dozens of homes that had washed many miles down river. I will never forget seeing whole houses wrapped around trees, piles of cars where they collected on the bend of the river. In the communications systems work I did for so many years, we often did work onsite after fires. It was often necessary to restore systems quickly, sometimes before the fire area had even cooled completely. We had to work alongside the fire department cleanup and investigation crews. We often dealt with the families suffering serious losses. I know of what I speak.

Mostly, I am saying to take it slow. Have a couple friends go with you. Know it will be difficult, but it is a step you need to take. Whatever you find? You will get through this. It will be tough for awhile. However, you have a lot of people that care about you, appreciate you, and all you have shared in this wonderful hobby. Please take good care of yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! The devastation around here is SO much worse than expected. We got home this afternoon to our little home and our block still standing. We are SO happy, but very sad at the same time. Our town is mostly gone, but as the Phoenix always does, we will rise from the ashes. The house doesn't stink of smoke, so I guess we are back for the duration. The only real loss besides the refrigerator and freezer and stuff in them was my 1931 Dodge car cover. It suffered as my neighbor hosed down the house, garage and car with fire hoses. We are counting our blessings and we want to thank you all so very much for your concern during this very trying time.

John and Cherrie

IMG_9204 (2).JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

John, so water destroys car covers?  Glad your home and cars were saved!  Pardon my ignorance, but for the people who lost their homes, does their home insurance cover them for replacing their homes with new ones and maybe pay a certain amount for rent until their new homes are ready?  I know people have fire insurance on their homes, but I don't know whether this would be considered an act of God and therefore not covered, or what?  

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, marcapra said:

John, so water destroys car covers?  Glad your home and cars were saved!  Pardon my ignorance, but for the people who lost their homes, does their home insurance cover them for replacing their homes with new ones and maybe pay a certain amount for rent until their new homes are ready?  I know people have fire insurance on their homes, but I don't know whether this would be considered an act of God and therefore not covered, or what?  

High pressure water from a fire hose will destroy almost anything if not sprayed as a fan spray. As far as the insurance goes, when a friend's home here in Oregon burned down, he was allotted so much for all of his belongings, furnishings and home. He and I practically rebuilt a new home by ourselves and he was covered and had some left over. He just had to have that money in a separate account. Don't know how it works elsewhere.

• Like 1

Even folks from the Land Down Under have been worried for all of you Bush fires are scary things As you all know we have our share in Aust. So glad and relieved to hear that prayers have been answered For many the loss and devistation is cruel Four years ago the little town of Yarloop where I was born was raised to the ground and I still feel the pain Take care everyone 2020 can only get better (We Hope)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to have you back John,

We finally got a good dose of rain up here last night. Its still a bit hazy. I haven't been out yet so I don't know if its still smoke or just fog.

Lots of thunder during the night, they didn't report any new fires this morning.

Sure is nice that we got a good rinse though.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, marcapra said:

I am a property insurance adjuster.  Policies and coverages differ by state and carrier.  Generally, fire is covered, regardless of how it started (unless it can be proven that you burned down your own house intentionally, and even then, the mortgage company usually still gets paid).  Many policies have loss of use coverage.  I have no idea about how this is covered in Oregon, but it should be similar to other states.  State laws and statutes regulate personal insurance.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 2