1916 series 16 7 passenger touring

cve92

Hello, I'm a new member and I just got a 1916 Studebaker series 16 4cyl 7 passenger touring. Is there anyone in the Indianapolis area who could help me with the car. I would like to get it running but I could use some help. The car is not in bad shape and the motor is free but I could use a good Studebaker mechanic to help me. Not sure where to post this, so if it need to be moved I will be glad to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.  

If you don't get any replies, you could try in the General or Technical section of the forum as there is more activity there and many of the issues with this vintage car are common to various makes so you don't necessarily need to be a 1916 Studebaker expert to help mechanically.  This is the right spot though for verbal help specific to your car.

Scott

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry it's taken a while to respond. This is my 1916 Studebaker touring car. First on the way home and then getting a bath.  I have found someone who is looking at the car to help me get it running. Thanks for all who responded. 

20200903_100724 (1).jpg

20200917_145744.jpg

Nice car present well. I suppose that the next question is purely logical but where are you and the car located. The 1916 model year cars retained the cowl mounted fuel tank.  Gas cap on the passenger side of the dash.Where the 1917 model year car had a rear mounted fuel tank. Gas cap between spare and body.

Studebaker did away with year model designations in 1915. This causes a lot of confusion with people today trying to date the cars, or even knowing what to call them. For both fours and sixes, during calendar year 1915, Studebaker actually manufactured three different models. The "true '15" was only produced from about September 1914 until about June of 1915. It was followed by the series 16, which was initially marketed as a "1916 model". Studebaker continued to plan improvements to the cars design, and not wanting to wait another half year decided to incorporate the improvements into production before the calendar year 1915 was done. Production of the series 17 began in December of 1915, and was introduced to the market before the new year began. Shortly after that, Studebaker sent letters to dealers and purchasers of the series 16s telling them that the cars were to no longer be called "1916 models", and instead refer to them as "series 16s" when writing the factory for parts or services. A good friend many years ago had an original copy of that letter.

After only a few years, about 1918, Studebaker went back to the standard year model. But those few years still drive hobbyists nuts! I prefer to double up in conversation, I called the car I had a "1915 built series 16". That way there was no confusion about it.

Seeing pictures of yours sure makes me miss the one I had.

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)

11 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Studebaker did away with year model designations in 1915. This causes a lot of confusion with people today trying to date the cars, or even knowing what to call them. For both fours and sixes, during calendar year 1915, Studebaker actually manufactured three different models. The "true '15" was only produced from about September 1914 until about June of 1915. It was followed by the series 16, which was initially marketed as a "1916 model". Studebaker continued to plan improvements to the cars design, and not wanting to wait another half year decided to incorporate the improvements into production before the calendar year 1915 was done. Production of the series 17 began in December of 1915, and was introduced to the market before the new year began. Shortly after that, Studebaker sent letters to dealers and purchasers of the series 16s telling them that the cars were to no longer be called "1916 models", and instead refer to them as "series 16s" when writing the factory for parts or services. A good friend many years ago had an original copy of that letter.

After only a few years, about 1918, Studebaker went back to the standard year model. But those few years still drive hobbyists nuts! I prefer to double up in conversation, I called the car I had a "1915 built series 16". That way there was no confusion about it.

Seeing pictures of yours sure makes me miss the one I had.

The same confusion exists with the late 1920s models due to progressive model introductions - a real can of worms. My car was built in late 1928, regarded as a 1929 but not sold until 1930.