1947 brakes

deac

I am working on a '47 2 door sedan with a flat head V8. It's not modified!

I have replaced the 2 front slave cylinders, replaced the front drums and shoes as well as the brake cables. In the rear I have turned the drums, replaced the 2 slave cylinders. When I arc'd the brake shoes I made the radius of the shoe closer to radius of the drum than I do on a GM car with bendix brakes. I inspected the master cylinder which appears okay and then filled it and bled the braking system 3 times! I adjusted the shoes/drums as well. On the hoist I was able depress the pedal and found that point of contact, shoes to drum, to be very low; almost to the floor.

Hesitantly I went for a road test and the brakes did stop the car. Then I tried an aggressive stop and the pedal went to the floor and the brake stopped the car but by no means did it feel like a panic stop as they did not lock up the wheels and by no means did the car skid! Once the pedal was on the floor the pedal became numb and the car stopped.

What am I missing because a lot of the brake system is new! I question if there is an adjustment needed at the brake pedal linkage. HELP!!!