1935 Auburn Speedster parts missing after Restoration anyone have some ?

Mark Gregory

Description

1935 auburn Speedster.if anyone recognizes this car,it was taking apart around 2008-2012 by someone /body shop.car has been apart till now.looking for parts that has been disassembled and never returned to the late owner.project was stopped cause of medical reasons.i have purchased this car and looking to rebuild it.missing parts,windshield frame,headlights,convertible top,gas tank,name plates etc.if you have any information please call 613 915 5730 or text .willing to pay a finders fee.thank you.

$_59.JPG

$_59.JPG

$_59.JPG

Perhaps someone will answer the post as to the missing parts.

Your reproduction parts source for speedster parts will be Prototype Research www.prototypesearch.com.  

Or, you can hunt out on ebay.  

There is no silver lining - you are missing 10K plus of castings and specialty hardware.  

You can also seek help via http://www.acdfactory.com/ (Glenn's Prey's son Doug runs Glenn's his former business)

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

From the body work that has been done it looks like this was a finished car at one time?  It almost looks like it was in an accident and the left side was sideswiped?  Did you get the missing fenders?  I would start by trying to figure out who built the "custom" body and see if they are still in business, there should be a nameplate somewhere.  These "custom" cars were popular in the 1980's most likely a club for them?  Parts will be the hard part to find.

I would start here....

Your reproduction parts source for speedster parts will be Prototype Research www.prototypesearch.com.  

Or, you can hunt out on ebay.  

You can also seek help via http://www.acdfactory.com/ (Glenn's Prey's son Doug runs Glenn's his former business)

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Replica yes, but they still get pretty good money for them.

Why?  An old-styled fiberglass replica on a modern chassis does not a worthwhile car make.  Part that thing out, commit the resources to saving a real old car.

• Like 1

In the late 1970's and early '80's my Hemmings Motor News would usually fall open to the Elegant Motors Auburn ad. There was one other company building a kit for $9,995, a pretty good chunk of change at the time. Most were based on a Ford LTD chassis.

My daughter started college at St. Lawrence U in Canton, NY. It didn't take me long to strike up a friendship with old Mr. Mace. I thought for sure I would talk him out of this one by the time 4 years passed.

a0023.JPG.f3159073f1c239f98b70b03dc11d1a5e.JPG

a0021.JPG.7f9213042a766dd2ce91df24fdc48d28.JPG

Never materialized. I think my daughter kept putting the bite on me for sorority expenses.

Read Rolling Sculpture and you will find the original was a parts bin special on its own. I am all for originality, but the replica is probably a better car objectively.

In the mid-1980's I enjoyed my 1935 Nash Advanced Six. The grille always reminded me of an Auburn. It was a better engineered car, though.

01010.jpg.c060d50ea1fe5f8ee187c5882eef3a8e.jpg

11 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Why?  An old-styled fiberglass replica on a modern chassis does not a worthwhile car make.  Part that thing out, commit the resources to saving a real old car.

Dont shoot me, Im just the messenger. I agree, why? I dont know but they do. They're not really all that bad looking, I suppose with so few real ones and the fact that they are out of reach for 99% of us hobos its the next best thing. Plus with a modern drivetrain maybe a bit more reliable and easier to maintain. I feel the same way about Cobra replicas. To me thats all they are, but there is a good following and again they command a hefty price. HECK, even a Shay roadster (IMO just another replica wannabe) has the same value of a real model A!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Dont shoot me, Im just the messenger. I agree, why? I dont know but they do. They're not really all that bad looking, I suppose with so few real ones and the fact that they are out of reach for 99% of us hobos its the next best thing. Plus with a modern drivetrain maybe a bit more reliable and easier to maintain. I feel the same way about Cobra replicas. To me thats all they are, but there is a good following and again they command a hefty price. HECK, even a Shay roadster (IMO just another replica wannabe) has the same value of a real model A!

Without coming a cross like more of dink than I usually do,  I have never understood replicas and I still don't.    The next best thing to a Auburn Speedster is a Auburn Conv Coupe,  then maybe a phaeton, etc.     A really well done Auburn speedster replica that doesn't look like a complete POS is going to run you 75k or more.    I can think of a lot of cars I would rather be seen in for 75k.

Honestly,  we if we are going to do fiberglass,  there are fiberfab cars I think are way more interesting.

https://barnfinds.com/classifieds/1978-fiberfab-valkyrie/

side-630x390.jpg

• Like 2

Lets look at it from a marketing angle, why are there replica cars?     I have "keep it original" bad, I cant even change the original color of my cars.

A.  Real ones are too expensive.

My favorite...Bugatti Royal

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1104744_now-there-are-seven-or-maybe-nine-bugatti-royale-prototype-re-created

These are growing on me Duesenberg II

https://www.volocars.com/the-attraction/vehicles/14728/1982-duesenberg-ii-sj-dual-cowl-phaeton

B.  They don't want a real one.  Hard for most of us to believe but some people don't want an old car, just one that looks old.

VW Beetle... need I say more?

Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Corvette....list goes on and on...

Replicas do fill a niche market, are they an engineering catastrophe? absolutely, a death trap.... but by today's standards most any car over a year or two years old are.

On the good or bad side now only state law allows "kit/home built" cars at all....there are worse looking home built cars...

Pin on WTF Autos

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Replicars: The cubic zirconium of the collector car world!

Search pur sang Bugatti and Alfa.  These are at least man made synthetic diamonds. Impossible for 99 percent to distinguish.   

Also Aston Martin is making DB5s again.  3 million sterling each.  25 all sold out.  Also jaguar xkss.   Not all are junk.  

Edited by Cadillac Fan (see edit history)

49 minutes ago, Cadillac Fan said:

Search pur sang Bugatti and Alfa.  These are at least man made synthetic diamonds. Impossible for 99 percent to distinguish.   

Also Aston Martin is making DB5s again.  3 million sterling each.  25 all sold out.  Also jaguar xkss.   Not all are junk.  

Quite true, though most of the run-of-the-mill replicars are cubic zirconium: intended to deceive the unsophisticated about old cars while delivering an ego boost to the driver.

16 hours ago, Graham Man said:

Here is one on Hemmings...$79K.   I would have never guessed, I was thinking more like $25k running and driving.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/auburn/852/2418055.html

73653456-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=53

This one is a little more thought out than most of the replicas.  There are also replicas on complete Auburn drivetrains and ... - the variations are almost endless (some are just not done though to anything close to original looks - lets use the term for most of the replicas "cheese-y"). 

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

No fair to put a Pur Sang Bugatti in the same thread with fiberglass replica Auburn speedsters.

The former is an almost identical facsimile while the latter is a grotesque collection of unrelated parts.

Is a Pur Sang a Bugatti? How do we determine if replicas “count”? | Hagerty  Media

Agreed.  But both are called replicars.  Not all replicars are bad.  Bad replicars are bad. 

Edited by Cadillac Fan (see edit history)

7 hours ago, padgett said:

Some fer sure but had a Devin bodied Jag with gold head, triple carbs, and 4 wheel disks that was quite a car.

No pictures of mine but looked like this:

0916160844.jpg

If you are intent on an "X" pipe on the exhaust, for God's sake, hide it under some sheet metal !

Stirling Moss would roll over in his grave, if he saw this !

Mike in Colorado

4 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

If you are intent on an "X" pipe on the exhaust, for God's sake, hide it 

Like this ?

6524C79F-B053-4C4A-A965-69109984F59A.jpeg

X-pipe muffler deletes I designed, partially fabricated & installed last week along with velocity stacks in lieu of OEM air cleaner assembly to “expose“ all 6 2-bbl Webers.

Not what I would normally do, but the client insisted.

Besides these, slightly higher compression and few other “invisible”, minor mods, the car has been (completely) restored to stock configuration and specs (and I have15K-20K photos to prove the work).

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Graham Man said:

Lets look at it from a marketing angle, why are there replica cars?     I have "keep it original" bad, I cant even change the original color of my cars.

A.  Real ones are too expensive.

My favorite...Bugatti Royal

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1104744_now-there-are-seven-or-maybe-nine-bugatti-royale-prototype-re-created

These are growing on me Duesenberg II

https://www.volocars.com/the-attraction/vehicles/14728/1982-duesenberg-ii-sj-dual-cowl-phaeton

B.  They don't want a real one.  Hard for most of us to believe but some people don't want an old car, just one that looks old.

VW Beetle... need I say more?

Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Corvette....list goes on and on...

Replicas do fill a niche market, are they an engineering catastrophe? absolutely, a death trap.... but by today's standards most any car over a year or two years old are.

On the good or bad side now only state law allows "kit/home built" cars at all....there are worse looking home built cars...

Pin on WTF Autos

On questions like this I always fall back on the Lotus from the late 1950's / early 1960's reproductions. The Lotus 7 , 11, 23 replica's are all the car that the original is at usually 1/2 or less the price.

Same with a number of the C type  and D type Jag re- productions.  98% the same car and same driving experience at a price that is a lot more manageable. 

Nearly everyone who is buying or building one of the Lotus replica's would want an original one . But few indeed car swing the $125,000.00 + price for a genuine 11 or 23.

Very simple , elegant , tiny cars that were hand built in the first place. Problem ,,, price too high for most people,,, solution,,,, build a bunch more. Seems simple to me.

Greg

43 minutes ago, padgett said:

a crossover is a must.

I agree and will probably get one once I figure out why I have a driveline vibration.

I am blaming that on the cast iron ring that you can see near the transmission. I have tried every conceivable fix over a couple of years to get it right.

Drive line shops (three of them) tell me that the DL is true and balanced.

I have changed the pinion angle radically in both directions, Changed the engine angle, checked that the rear end and engine are square, put a new bushing in the trans out put, tried multiple yokes and U-joints.

Dial indicated the yoke and output shaft to be true.

Swapped out three third members. Got worse with a lower gear.

The last thing I tried was to put the DL in backwards so that that heavy ring was in the rear. Made a HUGE difference. MUCH WORSE.

I am trying yet another DL shop and will be picking it up tomorrow.

This system I had made so that I could run thru the mufflers or bypass them. I can do it from the dash.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)