1928 six "oil filter gasket?"

Rod L

I got tired of trying to stop the one on my 1928 Standard from leaking and replaced it with one of the spin on filters that goes inside the original cannister.  I got if from Bobs Automobilia.  It works great, has never leaked a drop, replacement elements are readily available,it is easy to change and appears original.

47 minutes ago, michealbernal said:

I got tired of trying to stop the one on my 1928 Standard from leaking and replaced it with one of the spin on filters that goes inside the original cannister.  I got if from Bobs Automobilia.  It works great, has never leaked a drop, replacement elements are readily available,it is easy to change and appears original.

Thanks Mike,

On a related issue (I'm real new to this car) How is the canister pictured above removed, is it screwed on? I tried googling it but nothing comes up on removing the canister from the top mounting! There are three bolts a couple of inches long on the top (hex heads). But loosening them did not cause any loosening of the canister.

OK, I found the instructions for removing the canister.

Now Mike, if you would be so kind as to tell me which of the Bobs Automobilia spin on filters you used, I'd appreciate it. There are several:

1927-28 Looks Like Round Original But Houses a DisposableElement. (Not Shown)OF-278......................$315.00

Inner Element Only.OFE-278 ................. $ 15.50 ea

1927-28 Like Above Filter, But UsesYOUR Original 3-bolt TopCasting. Spin-On Oil FilterInside.OF-278A.................$230.0

Thanks for your trouble.

Rod

Check out how to convert a 29 Buick oil filter to a modern spin off filter at:

<https://www.29buickphotos.com/Repairs/Oil-Filter-Info/i-ZFsb4jb>

As a side note, when I did mine, I used a 1977 Chev 305 engine filter as I had just bought that car and would get 2 filters every time I took the Chev in for an oil change.  A few years ago, when looking for a 77 Chev filter for the 29 Buick, the guy at the parts counter told me they had been discontinued as the car's too old.  Did find a replacement so all is still well.

Bill McLaughlin

1929 McLaughlin Buick roadster

• Like 1

Well, Surprise surprise!!

I removed the canister and low and behold thee was a spin on filter under it (pic 1)! The canister was 1/2 full of oil (pic 2) and the filter was hand tight. So why is the canister filling up and overflowing? I removed the canister adapter (pic 3) on careful examination there appears to be a split (Pic 4) in the adapter side, or is that just a casting imperfection and not related to the oil spill?

Any comments?

I'm guessing that being I'm not the owner who bought the adapter (not even sure who's product it is?); I'm going to be buying another one.

I suppose I could just install a new filter and start the car without the canister to see if i get an oil bath?

DSCN5581.JPG

DSCN5584.JPG

DSCN5587.JPG

DSCN5589.JPG

• Like 1

I would just replace the spin on filter with a new one, install it correctly, start the car with out the canister in place and see what happens.  I would let the car  run until it gets good and warm to make sure it is not leaking prior to putting the cover back on.

Loftbed   

Your oil filter looks like an Australian made reproduction.  However I believe those used a sock type filter element in them. Possibly someone modified it to handle a spin-on filter.   Most of the original fittings on the top of the original replaceable filters were die-cast, not cast iron like yours looks like.