Disc brakes for international K3?

More K3 questions-

The K3 has hubs with 6 bolts, as opposed to K1 and K2s, which have 5. I have found a wildwood disc brake application for the 5 bolt K1, but not for the 6 bolt K3. I would like to retain the original hubs, if possible, and find a disc brake application. Having been spoiled by discs, I am a little reluctant to keep drums on a vehicle. For that matter, shoes and drums for the drum brakes appear to be a little hard to come by. 

Any thoughts on disc brake applications for a K3? I have contacted Wilwood and asked if they could custom make an application as well. However, if one knows about an existing kit, that would obviously be more convenient (and lower cost). 

Tom H

I believe the companies like Brembo, Alcon, maybe Wilwood and the like which make custom 2-piece rotors will drill the aluminum hats with any bolt circle you like. You'll spend $500/rotor, but they can be made pretty easily.

Thanks Matt!

The price is not a big deal. I'm glad the custom work can be done. I've gotten a little spoiled  by disc brakes and really think drums are a little dangerous in this day and age. Thanks for the suggestions! I have a note sent into Wilwood to ask them- hopefully they will be able to do it; if not, I'll get a hold of the other two. 

I'm having general spring make the rear leaf springs, as I can't find any leaf springs made today with the same dimensions. Kind of weird- with a zillion types of leaf springs one would think that there would be a substitute out there with the same dimensions.

Well...……………………….. it turns out that they cannot make custom kits for the K3 for disc brakes. 

It creates somewhat of a problem that I see others have experienced with K1, K2, and K3 model internationals. The problem is lack of parts to maintain the existing drum brakes, yet no real solution for disc brakes. For those interested, THERE IS a conversion kit for front disc brakes for the K1 and K2, but not the K3. The K3 have those weird, big 6 bolt hubs and more robust axles. 

It appears as though many K3 owners, faced with this, have changed the front and rear suspensions such that they have compatible hubs for disc brakes. The Ford 8.8 rear end from the explorer is a popular choice; it requires some removal and re-welding tube shock mounts. Most suggest using the Explorer drive shaft and having a machine shop use the Ford and International drive shafts to make one shaft that connects both to the international tranny/yoke and the Ford differential. 

For the front, apparently "Fat Man" makes a kit for Mustang II suspensions for an international. 

Anyone else have any thoughts? I am open to any suggestions, as I would maintain the drum brakes if I could find parts for them. Otherwise, the disc brake option (given the K3 hubs and axle) is not feasible for the K3 and requires changing the rear axle assembly and the front suspension. I guess if that is what has to be done, then so be it. However, it seems strange that there are no other options. I know the K3 is not very common, thus little demand for disc brake kits and drum brake replacement parts. No market- no parts. 

Edited by blind pew (see edit history)

If you have not done so, check with your local International truck dealer. It is amazing what they have access to or have a lead you can follow. Remember the K3 falls in to the  heavier equipment side, so adjust your thinking toward that when looking for parts. Truck salvage yards may have what you need sitting in the back lot also. 

Thanks-

I tried the International dealers and they were not able to help. 

However, on the "oldihc.org" site, a few guys gave me sources/contacts to be able to get the brakes redone by a shop and a few guys who had some K3 parts to sell. Looks like I will be able to use the K3 wheels, axles and brakes, which is a big plus. It would have been a shame to ditch the original stuff just due to lack of brake parts. 

For those interested, the '46-'48 ford front drum shoes (12X 1 3/4) fit the K3. Also, post war Dodge Power Wagon drum shoes are 14" X 2", which fits the rear K3. 

• Like 1