1948 lincoln continental brake lights

Hello Everyone!  The center brake light and license plate lights do not work.  I checked the bulbs and connections and they look fine.  Are they on the same circuit and are there fuses for them under the dash?  Also, are the rear lights only parking and signal lights and not brake lights?   

You need to get a wiring diagram for the vehicle.  In earlier Lincolns the center red lamp on the back of the trunk lock unit worked with the brake lights.  The two side tail lights also have dual bulb filaments, one for brake/turn signals, the other for just real tail lights when the main light switch is on.  There is a breaker for the light circuits.  A wiring diagram really helps to trace it out. Also if the brake light doesn't work when you apply brake pressure on the master cylinder, the brake light switch mounted on the rear of the master cylinder might be defective.  You can always put a jumper wire at the M/C to see if the light will light.  Just simple tracing out the 6 volts going to different lamps!

Thanks for the reply,Ray.  The tail lights and turn signals work, but the brake lights don't so maybe it is the switch.  How do you jumper the switch and where would I find the wiring diagram?

The brake light switch is located at the back of the master cylinder, under the floorboard. You have to raise the car and get under the drivers side to access the switch. There are 2 wires on the switch, connect them together with a short piece of wire with alligator clips on both ends. Your brake lights should light if the circuit is OK. If they do, replace the stop light switch. It is available at your local parts house.

If the lights do not light up, check for voltage at the green wires on the switch, you should have battery voltage on one of them with the jumper disconnected.

I don't have a 1948 Lincoln wiring diagram, so I can only give you general and typical information. I am not sure about the 1948 Operator's Manual, but the one for my 40 Mercury has a wiring diagram. You can do an online search for a wiring diagram also.

The hot wire from the brake switch usually comes from the circuit breaker and goes to a connector just inside the engine compartment and then to the brake switch. The switched wire will go to the stop light in the middle of the car and to the turn signal switch on cars with turn signals. The wires going to and leaving the switch have green insulation. The tail light wires have black insulation.

Your Header says you have a 1948 Lincoln Continental , I  too have a '48 Continental ; a Coupe. The Continentals 1941 - 1948 and maybe the 1940

had a poor ground for the stoplight and the license plate light. The stoplight and the  license housing ( cast aluminum) is hinged so it can be 

folded down to remove the spare tire. There is the problem!This is where the ground is picked up for the brake and license lamps The ground is lost somewhere around the hinge pin. Run a test ground wire from the lamp housing back to the car frame somewhere. Make good CLEAN connections.  This may identify your problem.

Thanks a lot Larry.  I can see how that can be a problem.  I will definitely check that out soon.  Right now we are dealing with a huge fire here just south of Portland Oregon so we are watching things very closely.