Has anyone worked on a Wisconsin truck rear end?  When I pulled the axles to get to the bearings and brakes, the bearings have what looks like wheel bearing grease in them. Am I right or is it just old solidified rear end grease?  I would have thought that it would be like today’s rear ends in that they would be lubed with rear end grease. 

On my 37 Dodge there was a grease fitting on the axle housing for each wheel bearing and more importantly, a grease seal in the axle housing to keep the rear fluid from getting to the wheel bearing.  If you see a grease seal then you should have your answer.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, TerryB said:

On my 37 Dodge there was a grease fitting on the axle housing for each wheel bearing and more importantly, a grease seal in the axle housing to keep the rear fluid from getting to the wheel bearing.  If you see a grease seal then you should have your answer.

And if a seal can be seen inboard of the wheel bearings, that's an indication the wheel bearings get greased, and not lubed by differential gear oil.

Paul

• Like 1

What year is the truck?  The current technology "of the day" when it was produced might help with an answer.  Sorry I am not familiar with Wisconsin Trucks, and I grew up in Wisconsin.  Most 1930's cars used 600W steam oil in the rear ends, and they all looked like a 1 ton truck rear ends.  My 1929 has a larger rear end than my 1 ton F350 dually.

4 hours ago, Graham Man said:

What year is the truck?  The current technology "of the day" when it was produced might help with an answer.  Sorry I am not familiar with Wisconsin Trucks, and I grew up in Wisconsin.  Most 1930's cars used 600W steam oil in the rear ends, and they all looked like a 1 ton truck rear ends.  My 1929 has a larger rear end than my 1 ton F350 dually.

Graham man, the truck is a 1928 Gramm with a Wisconsin rear end. And yes it is quite large

Great forum conversation (link below), did a lot of research myself a few years back.  I use the Mobil 600W (steam cylinder oil) I purchased a 5 gallon pail from a local industrial lubricant store.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/600-weight-oil-90978/

https://www.thelubricantstore.com/mobil-600w-cylinder-oil-pail

https://grumpsgarage.com/product/1928-48-600w-gear-oil/

I use this Napa Grease on My Military trucks and trailers wheel bearings that all run in grease and even on non military trucks that run in gear oil . I even use it on wheel bearings that run in oil so they have plenty of lube till the oil reaches the bearing it then washes off the grease it seams to mix very well .The blue tube is the new packaging  blue and white is the old packaging  .

DSCN1060.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG