Jump to content

Hard time finding Caddy rear control arm bushings for DIY 1st Gen Rivi rear bushings


mrrodriguez77
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm in the process of gathering goodies to custom make my own rear control arm bushings but pickins are coming up slim.  Rock Auto no longer has anything in stock, I found a pair of Centric Caddy bushings through Amazon and none of the locals seem to have anything.  Cross referenced all the part numbers form the various posts from RockinRiviDad, JRRivi64 etc.  I really don't want to shell out a heap of cash if I don't have to.  

 

Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could be incorrect on this as I've been involved in my project only since 2015.

I believe GM Serviced the rear lower control arm as an assembly back-in-the-day and I don't believe the aftermarket ever offered individual bushings. However, Bushings for the Panhard Rod are available.

There's been many threads on this. Would be nice to have repro parts on this. If so, won't be cheap in order for a mnfr to go to the trouble of doing it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well that's a downer.  If you have the part number, have you tried other sources?  

 

XframeFX - If you weren't aware of it.  That OE lower control arm bushing has not been around for a while, but someone figured out that some aftermarket firm was using the Cadillac bushing and a 3/8" spacer to make a bushing that would work.  We've been making our own out of the Cadillac bushing and stock rod with a hole drilled through the middle.  Gotta find more of the Caddy bushings.  Time for all of you Hercule Poirots out there to start snooping.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Well that's a downer.  If you have the part number, have you tried other sources?  

 

XframeFX - If you weren't aware of it.  That OE lower control arm bushing has not been around for a while, but someone figured out that some aftermarket firm was using the Cadillac bushing and a 3/8" spacer to make a bushing that would work.  We've been making our own out of the Cadillac bushing and stock rod with a hole drilled through the middle.  Gotta find more of the Caddy bushings.  Time for all of you Hercule Poirots out there to start snooping.

 

After more scouring, Autozone sells the Rare Car part #15096 piece @ $52.49 ea. and ProSteer Part# FB669 (from RockinRiviDad's original post on the subject) is @ $28.49 ea.  Raybestos is no longer available and neither is Dorman.  This might be what we have left as I think I scooped up the last Centric pieces.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did this last year and it was difficult to track anything down. The only thing left available that I could find is Centric 602.62052. I ordered from CarId, looks like they still have them here, $10.46 each. You'll have to reduce the diameter slightly and use a spacer as described in other posts. The simplest spacer was just to push out the sleeve from the old bushings and cut off the necessary length.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frustrated with the 2nd rate offerings a small group of 1st Gen Riv enthusiasts with OEM auto industry connections have been in development of an exact replacement of rear bushings. Tooling completed and about to evaluate full production samples, and yes we‘re excited. These are dimensionally 100% as original and with the same hardness rubber. Volume production is being done by a specialist (not Chinese) manufacturer of suspension components with facilities approved and used by Toyota and other major manufacturers. After many months we’re hopeful these “made for purpose” bushings will be available mid November. Pricing is yet to be determined but we know will be well below any of the current sub-standard offerings.

They’ll be available in pairs so let us know your interest or feedback.

Cheers

Tom Kunek 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TKRIV said:

Frustrated with the 2nd rate offerings a small group of 1st Gen Riv enthusiasts with OEM auto industry connections have been in development of an exact replacement of rear bushings. Tooling completed and about to evaluate full production samples, and yes we‘re excited. These are dimensionally 100% as original and with the same hardness rubber. Volume production is being done by a specialist (not Chinese) manufacturer of suspension components with facilities approved and used by Toyota and other major manufacturers. After many months we’re hopeful these “made for purpose” bushings will be available mid November. Pricing is yet to be determined but we know will be well below any of the current sub-standard offerings.

They’ll be available in pairs so let us know your interest or feedback.

Cheers

Tom Kunek 

Sounds great, could not be better timing as I will be rebuilding my rear suspension this winter so, i'll be needin some. count me in.

  Joey

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Myself ALSO as my rear suspension has over 300K on it.  Although I don't see anything wrong with them I'm sure they will be marginal at best once I dis-assemble.  Do we only need  two for the front where the control arms attach at the frame???  AND, for the rear of the control arm where it attaches to the diff. housing???  Which if so means four are needed to do the job properly.

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Tom T.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TKRIV said:

Frustrated with the 2nd rate offerings a small group of 1st Gen Riv enthusiasts with OEM auto industry connections have been in development of an exact replacement of rear bushings. Tooling completed and about to evaluate full production samples, and yes we‘re excited. These are dimensionally 100% as original and with the same hardness rubber. Volume production is being done by a specialist (not Chinese) manufacturer of suspension components with facilities approved and used by Toyota and other major manufacturers. After many months we’re hopeful these “made for purpose” bushings will be available mid November. Pricing is yet to be determined but we know will be well below any of the current sub-standard offerings.

They’ll be available in pairs so let us know your interest or feedback.

Cheers

Tom Kunek 

This is exactly what should occur, band together and justify an exact replacement. No performance polyurethane, just OEM plain & simple. I'm 'done' with experimenting even if I had kept spare control arms.

No bushings from another app with added-on spacers.

Please count-me-in Tom. It will be a future project following a transmission swap (OE installation). But I'll purchase the parts if they ever become available.

 

John B.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TK,

I know that this is a project that will take a while to get totally under control, but have you thought about having a U.S.A. distribution point so each of us doesn't have to pay S&H from Australia?

 

Question to all of us non-downunder folks. Why is it that the Aussies are the ones who take on these kinds of projects?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dragged out the '64 chassis manual to see what was said about replacing the lower control arm bushings and hoping for some detail on the bushings.  The procedure detailed the sequence for removal of springs, alignment of support under the carrier, and using a brass drift to remove stubborn bolts.  (But no details on removal of the bushings.) And no specs for the bushing.

I was also looking for information on whether the front and rear bushings were the same. Nothing.

I then looked at the illustration and got to wondering about support for the adjustable upper control arm. Is it bushed? If so, do these bushings wear out as well? If so where do we get them?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of us down here in Australia have ordered rear bushing form lots of vendors and have been told

that what is offered is a direct or near direct replacement bush. Not so.

In some cases we have had road worthy compliance rejected as it's obvious that the bush replacement is not as per OEM.

So we have to spend big $$$ to get them custom made.

Some of the pricing vendors are asking for non OEM bushes is crazy.

 

Thank you for your feed back.

Bushes are for the rear lower control arms (4 Qty) and the rear upper "adjustable" control arm (2 Qty)

The upper and lower use the same bushing. 

They can't be used for the front lower control arm. They are different.

 

Tooling samples that we have been using have been as per 1965 Riv.

We make the assumption that bushings are the same for 63 & 64 but this needs to be verified.

(it amazes how there are so many small design changes that Buick made between 63, 64 & 65 i.e. door hinges)

 

Yes the bushes will most likely be shipped in bulk over to the USA and offered to a vendor(s) to reduce S&H  

but we have yet to figure that out.

 

Tom K

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TKRIV said:

Lots of us down here in Australia have ordered rear bushing form lots of vendors and have been told

that what is offered is a direct or near direct replacement bush. Not so.

In some cases we have had road worthy compliance rejected as it's obvious that the bush replacement is not as per OEM.

So we have to spend big $$$ to get them custom made.

Some of the pricing vendors are asking for non OEM bushes is crazy.

 

Thank you for your feed back.

Bushes are for the rear lower control arms (4 Qty) and the rear upper "adjustable" control arm (2 Qty)

The upper and lower use the same bushing. 

They can't be used for the front lower control arm. They are different.

 

Tooling samples that we have been using have been as per 1965 Riv.

We make the assumption that bushings are the same for 63 & 64 but this needs to be verified.

(it amazes how there are so many small design changes that Buick made between 63, 64 & 65 i.e. door hinges)

 

Yes the bushes will most likely be shipped in bulk over to the USA and offered to a vendor(s) to reduce S&H  

but we have yet to figure that out.

 

Tom K

Good info. Thanks for taking this task to the next level that others of us only dream about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2020 at 8:47 AM, TKRIV said:

Frustrated with the 2nd rate offerings a small group of 1st Gen Riv enthusiasts with OEM auto industry connections have been in development of an exact replacement of rear bushings. Tooling completed and about to evaluate full production samples, and yes we‘re excited. These are dimensionally 100% as original and with the same hardness rubber. Volume production is being done by a specialist (not Chinese) manufacturer of suspension components with facilities approved and used by Toyota and other major manufacturers. After many months we’re hopeful these “made for purpose” bushings will be available mid November. Pricing is yet to be determined but we know will be well below any of the current sub-standard offerings.

They’ll be available in pairs so let us know your interest or feedback.

Cheers

Tom Kunek 

 

Although I'm going the custom route with the Caddy bushings, I'll be happy to support this in any way.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2020 at 2:05 PM, RivNut said:

 

I know that this is a project that will take a while to get totally under control, but have you thought about having a U.S.A. distribution point so each of us doesn't have to pay S&H from Australia?

 

So, this is the case with the country next door with a land border. We might as well be halfway around the world. Canadians pay, pay and pay. it's not just S&H

Some refuse to ship outside the lower 48. Too much hassle on both ends.

Some whine with that cheese?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first lot of bushings should arrive late next week which will be used for destructive testing.

Will let you know how they perform.

 

Can anybody verify that the the bushings for 65 are the same as 63 & 64?

(USA vendors offer the same bushing across all there years) 

The 3 of us involved with this project all own 65 Rivs.

With the COVID lockdown we are not allowed to travel more than 5km from home!

 If we get nicked its a $1,650.00 fine. 

 

Tom K

2 x 65

ROA#3845

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Destructive testing. 

 

Fit and check for dimensional tolerance to lower control arm.

Check for bonding of the body to the rubber core by rotational flexing at ambient temperature until fail.

Repeat at high & sub zero temperatures. 

Check lateral stability. 

Compression, impact & fatigue tests.

Chemical resistance.

So it will be anything that that we can test for chemical, thermal, dynamic & static analysis.

Tom K

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2020 at 12:47 PM, TKRIV said:

The first lot of bushings should arrive late next week which will be used for destructive testing.

Will let you know how they perform.

 

Can anybody verify that the the bushings for 65 are the same as 63 & 64?

(USA vendors offer the same bushing across all there years) 

The 3 of us involved with this project all own 65 Rivs.

With the COVID lockdown we are not allowed to travel more than 5km from home!

 If we get nicked its a $1,650.00 fine. 

 

Tom K

2 x 65

ROA#3845

 

Tom,

you are welcome to come and measure after the lockdown on my ’63 if you haven’t got the information before that date.

Until then (and you might have this already):

  • ·         As I understand it, below are the part numbers. Is there a cross reference list from year to yearsomewhere? There isn’t any number for the bushing separately (as expected).

1965 Riviera

From the BUICK CHASSIS AND BODY ILLUSTRATION AND GENERAL INFORMATION CATALOG MODELS 1940 TO 1970 INCLUSIVE that I downloaded from Eric Schmid’s website, thank you.

  • ·         5.382, 1371358, Upper Control Arm and Bushing, Inner.

  • ·         5.382, 1371359, Upper Control Arm and Bushing, outer.

  • ·         5.382, 1371356-7, Lower Control Arm and Bushing

  • ·         8.900, 9419852, Bolt upper bushing, the same for the lower bushing

 

Note that only the 1965 Riviera rear end is included in the pdf book (page 5.9) and there seems to not be any gaps, maybe that is an indication that it is the same for 63-64???

 

1963 Riviera (from Jim Cannon’s 1963 Buick Chassis and Body Parts Book, highly recommended to buy)

  • ·         5.382, 1358171, Upper Control Arm and Bushing, Inner.

  • ·         5.382, 1358172 , Upper Control Arm and Bushing, outer.

  • ·         5.382,1361639 , Lower Control Arm and Bushing Left

  • ·         5.382, 1361638 , Lower Control Arm and Bushing Right

  • ·         5.382, 1362139, Bolt (the same bolt everywhere as for 1965).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2020 at 10:13 PM, XframeFX said:

So, this is the case with the country next door with a land border. We might as well be halfway around the world. Canadians pay, pay and pay. it's not just S&H

Some refuse to ship outside the lower 48. Too much hassle on both ends.

Some whine with that cheese?

John:  I don't know if you know this, but there is no broker if you ship via USPS between Canada and USA.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Andrew,

Thanks

Yes, for a couple of years now, I try to convince Vendors to ship via USPS which Canada Post brings to my door. Zero Hassles!

Couriers don't get it. They think the market is to have it in your hands the next day. It took 2-weeks for the last order thru USPS 1st Class and didn't get ripped-off.

However, if a vendor refuses USPS, I choose either FEDEX Intn'l Express or UPS Int'l Priority where those services include brokerage making it 1 less fee. I also ship to the Authorized FEDEX location at the airport, now 2 less fees.

 

For on the Commercial Invoice to Canada: "Antique Auto Parts - Harmonized Code 9966.00.00"

 

My kid who lives away still uses our home for his project parts shipments. He doesn't listen and lets the vendor ship their preferred way. The Courier dude is laughing with all the charges COD!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2020 at 9:47 AM, TKRIV said:

“made for purpose” bushings will be available mid November. Pricing is yet to be determined but we know will be well below any of the current sub-standard offerings.

Put me down for 3 pairs (6 total)

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...