1920s-30s NOS Studebaker outside door handles - What do they fit?

I have three NOS outside door handles in the original boxes.  The part number is 280325.  I don't have a parts book that goes back that far.   1930 is hand written on the box but I don't know if that is correct.

Can someone please tell me what years and models they fit? 

Pictures are attached.  Thank you.  

IMG_6762.JPG

IMG_6769.jpg

IMG_6773.jpg

IMG_6774.JPG

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

They just give number 53 which is a 1930 and number 54 which is a 1931.... and S1 which is a 1931.  

Those numbers are in fact the model designation.   No '31, '32 or '33 six cylinder Studebakers I am aware of had any model name. Even the Rockne Division models were numbers: 75, 65 and 10.

In 1928, '29 and '30 Studebaker produced six cylinder Dictators, and the Commanders in 1929. Between 1930 and 1934 there were no named models unless they were eight cylinder; only numbered. Then the Dictator was again produced starting in the '34 model year.

Edited by starlightcoupe (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...

Greetings!  I can be sure that they are not for a 1928 President State FA second series.  

I am going to have window cranks and interior door handles recast for my car.  If anybody is interested in adding to my order, let me know.  Price will depend on quantity of the order but expect a couple of hundred per handle.

jimmasone@bellsouth.net

Door handles 1.jpg

On 9/4/2020 at 6:39 AM, starlightcoupe said:

Those numbers are in fact the model designation.   No '31, '32 or '33 six cylinder Studebakers I am aware of had any model name. Even the Rockne Division models were numbers: 75, 65 and 10.

In 1928, '29 and '30 Studebaker produced six cylinder Dictators, and the Commanders in 1929. Between 1930 and 1934 there were no named models unless they were eight cylinder; only numbered. Then the Dictator was again produced starting in the '34 model year.

The numbers 53,54 etc followed on from the Erskine numbering system. The first three Erskines (1927-29) were Model 50,51 and 52. As you may know these were completely different from anything else in the Studebaker line.

The Model 53 was really a Studebaker in all but name and I believe the later in the model year those cars not yet sold were fitted with Studebaker badges.

The Models 53, 54 and 55 were Studebaker Sixes - a model line priced below the Dictator.

Until 1931 all of the Studebakers used letter model designations - for example my Dictator is a GE. In 1931 they changed to numbers so the FC Dictator became the Model 61 etc

This 1930 Erskine Model 53 belongs to an acquaintance of mine. Taken the day he retrieved it from long term storage (literally a barn find) in about 1985. At the time it had 40,000 miles on it. Has a lot more now. As far as is known it is the only surviving right hand drive Model 53 two door sedan. As you can see it is visually similar to the contemporary Dictator but is very slightly smaller.

30 Erskine (R Dag 1985).jpg