There's been a great discussion about automobile badges on the Model T Club forum. 

https://www.mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15101

I plan to post a few photos of some of mine there, but thought I'd start one here too -  anyone collect them or have some period badges mounted on your early car?  I've picked up a few over the years but really don't consider myself as an serious collector.  Will post a few pics later.

Terry

As promised, a few pics of some badges.  I've got a few more tucked away someplace. 

Terry

Badge 1.jpg

Badge 2.jpg

Badge 3.jpg

Badge 4.jpg

Badge 5.jpg

Badge 6.jpg

Badge 7.jpg

• Like 2

And a couple more that I just pulled out of a drawer - I like these with the date tabs that can be changed. 

Terry

Badge 8.jpg

Badge 9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Three is a collection. All collections originally began with one item, so don't think you'll build a collection overnight. If it's badges or soark plugs, learn all you can, watch evilbay a while to see what's common and isnt, and get some idea of prices. Chances are if you see a lot of the same thing, it's reproduced or so common the price gougers and dreamers really stick out. Buy quality, the best you can afford. Hit the antique shops, flea markets, even estate and garage sales in an older part of town. You'll soon be back here to show off your new finds and treasures. Best thing you can do is connect with other collectors. Friends are better than stuff anyway.

Terry

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The badge for the Club de la Carrosserie dates from 1966, the club was started by restaurant owner Andre Surmain  who liked French cars and had several Delage.

the Brooklands badge is for the Brooklands race track in Surrey, England. Most of the track still exists and is looked after by the Brooklands Society who have annual reunions. The badge I restored from a bent up original and had to replace 7 colors of enamel glass - all which fired / melted at different levels. Quite a chore and done 40 years ago when I had more patience. Took hours to do. ( no they are not for sale)

BaDGE fRENCHCOACHWORK.jpg

badgeBROOKLANDSTWO.jpg

Edited by Walt G
spelling error (see edit history)
  • Like 3

These early badges are membership badges for the Brooklands Automobile Racing Club in England   As  member, there was a set of serial numbered member badges and guest badges.  Collecting a full set of them for all years since their opening can be difficult and expensive.

Terry

20170702_123506-1.jpg

$_3 (5)-1.jpg

$_3 (4)-1.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just cleaned up this spare interior builder’s nameplate after seeing a fellow bus fan with a Christmas tree covered in different bus builder’s badges.  The badge is a little rough, but it cleaned up well and could be used as originally intended, if needed. But that’s not likely, my bus still has her original nameplate, plus I have a couple cleaner unrestored spares.  Might as well enjoy this one!

BE04F666-5461-4A95-8A34-6F9679C6E5FD.thumb.jpeg.b5b5df998a82de73c6420f5afdec3d43.jpeg

-Steven

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Actually it was a genuine radiator emblem, with two extra holes added... I wonder what a good one would do?

I had to pull this screenshot from the internet, but I remember the plain emblem that was on the Brewster on loan to the Owls Head Transportation museum. Very interesting car! 

9158E402-5B29-4D2E-91EF-FF186930B256.jpeg

• Like 2

There will be a show about Brewster on the internet, go to 4 village Studio Floral Park,NY and under the topics- Watch now, go to- the Antique Road Test. We only filmed this within the past month or so and it just has appeared now.

Walt

• Like 2

On 12/18/2020 at 6:08 PM, Brill_C-37M_Bus said:

I just cleaned up this spare interior builder’s nameplate after seeing a fellow bus fan with a Christmas tree covered in different bus builder’s badges.  The badge is a little rough, but it cleaned up well and could be used as originally intended, if needed. But that’s not likely, my bus still has her original nameplate, plus I have a couple cleaner unrestored spares.  Might as well enjoy this one!

BE04F666-5461-4A95-8A34-6F9679C6E5FD.thumb.jpeg.b5b5df998a82de73c6420f5afdec3d43.jpeg

-Steven

A.C.F. was the builder of my 1938 32 foot Wanderer Deluxe wooden cabin cruiser i used to own.

I have been following the eBay auctions where the Brewster came from, halfheartedly At least because I know there’s a lot being sold that are well outside the “normal“ stuff you get to see, but these two really blew my mind for some reason. Great fun watching, almost better than going for a T ride...

807ECD14-FF48-4F7C-8293-43DDA36301AB.jpeg

E61E9F06-B46E-46D1-9429-FC1DA6941D5F.jpeg

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)
  • Like 3