1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan - $42,000 - Homer Glen, ILL - Not Mine

1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan - $42,000 - Homer Glen, ILL 

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/homer-glen-1937-cord-supercharged/7186640719.html

1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan, Chassis No. 320905, Original Engine No.FC2885 (does not have original engine.) Body No., Model 812. 170 hp, 288.6 cu. in. supercharged L-head V-8 engine, four-speed pre-selector transmission, trailing arm front suspension with transverse leaf spring, tubular rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 125" - Timeless Gordon Buehrig design
- Supercharged Lycoming V-8  - Low-production bustle-back Beverly sedan 1 of 184 original SC Beverly Sedan body style.
I have documentation that this supercharged Beverly sedan has had just three owners since 1949 and has always been in the state of Illinois. It was restored from an excellent original car and has been in the current owner’s collection since 1982. Correctly painted in RED, it has cloth upholstery with tan piping throughout.
The paint looks pretty good as well does the chrome, with the effect being an appearance that belies the age of the restoration. It has accessory fog lights, whitewall tires and has the sought-after “bustle” trunk lid that affords copious luggage space. The car has not run in sometime, but ran well when it was put in storage.
According to the late Cord historian Josh Malks, about 401 bustle-back Beverly sedans were built, barely a quarter the quantity of fastback models. Slightly more than a third of them were supercharged. As such, this lovely Cord is both rare and desirable.  The cloth headliner needs repair as well as the right front door glass, and one fog light.  Car is being sold from an Estate. It has an Illinois title.  Priced at $42,000.
You may email or call the Estate’s Administrator at the number above.

Copy and paste in your email:   eb249002762633c4ac1d37dbeae30cee@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan.

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL a.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL b.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL c.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL d.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL e.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL f.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL g.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL h.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL i.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL j.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL k.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL l.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL m.jpg

Another Cord on Craigslist. You would think that the owners would know that it would sell a lot faster on Hemmings and spend the $99 for it to reach a much higher caliber of potential buyers than on Craigslist with their $5 ads. Does anyone know if the black one in PA for $50k has sold yet? Which one is the better deal? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Another Cord on Craigslist. You would think that the owners would know that it would sell a lot faster on Hemmings and spend the $99 for it to reach a much higher caliber of potential buyers than on Craigslist with their $5 ads. Does anyone know if the black one in PA for $50k has sold yet? Which one is the better deal? 

The red car is a factory blown car with an engine swap needing an unknown amount of work for 10k less.   Without seeing either in person I would go with the black car.

If anyone is interested in car, don't let the engine swap worry you too much.  One of the head guys in the ACD club said I'd be surprised how many Cords have non-matching engines.  There were a LOT of swaps done at the factory, up into the 1950's...I know because my 812 phaeton is one of them (though I did find the original engine for car, believe it or not!).

The "not running" would worry me more than the engine swap.  That could be a $500 clean up everything and it's fine to a $20,000 "oops"....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

Now if you don't care about that and want to drive one tomorrow,  then of course the black one would be a choice hands down.  If you like the challenge and don't mind a possible rude expensive surprise then the Supercharged one would be a contender.  Interior is rough though and the good chrome doesn't look all that nice to me. 

19 hours ago, trimacar said:

If anyone is interested in car, don't let the engine swap worry you too much.  One of the head guys in the ACD club said I'd be surprised how many Cords have non-matching engines.  There were a LOT of swaps done at the factory, up into the 1950's...I know because my 812 phaeton is one of them (though I did find the original engine for car, believe it or not!).

The "not running" would worry me more than the engine swap.  That could be a $500 clean up everything and it's fine to a $20,000 "oops"....

Same with Auburn's:  My sedan had the original engine, but the fellow who owned the car in in 1950's through early 1980's ran an Auburn and Cord engine rebuilding service and you could bring your car in on Friday and drive it back out Monday with your new swapped engine (a model taken from the parts company that did bring it in on Monday and drive it back out Friday).  And, then there is the Lycoming casting issues matched to people in warmer climates risking water as coolant verses anti-freeze. 

I went back and looked at photos - It has an original FC data plate and sounds to also currently have an FC engine of different serial number.  Engine swaps have been done in Cords for eons (and still being done today) - the suspect ones are an non-s/c car having been converted to s/c and an s/c car now having an non-s/c engine (and there are a few early engines running around and other minor differences). Keep in mind that a Cord S/C -Supercharged engine was not an add on "option" and while it shares parts with an non-s/c car it still is pretty much "unique" - aka perhaps a minimal dollar decrease on a 199-100 point car, but certainly not a significant issue at this price point. 

The supercharged engine might be basically the same, but there are differences and some expensive not-interchangeable parts, particularly the supercharger.  Cam is different, firing order is different, those things.  I know someone who bought a phaeton, had a supercharger on it so he thought he was all set.  Turned out it was the shell of a supercharger stuck on a standard engine, it was about $25K to make it right.

I still say if you have a chance to buy a 50K non running Cord, and a 60K car that's running and shifting correctly, jump on the 60K one.

• 1 month later...

Forgive me for throwing this in a thread about another car,  but I'm comparing.  Here is an interesting older restoration 812 Beverly.   I like both the previous cars better I think.   RHD to LHD,  driven from Portland to Reunion and back 20 years ago.  Needs motor work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-Cord-812-Beverly-Sedan-1990A-ACD-CERTIFIED-Project-Car-/154147424459

s-l1600.jpg

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

In 1989 this car received Certification by the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Club, verifying it is an original factory-built Cord. It carries ACD Certificate # 311349. In 1990, Mr. Youree drove this car from his home in Oregon to the annual ACD Club Meet in Auburn, Indiana - a distance of 2,750 miles; for which he received the "Long Distance Award" for his efforts. Of course, he also then drove it home to Oregon, making a total trip of over 5,500 miles without incident. Subsequently, Mr. Youree drove the car until his passing in 2003, totaling nearly 17,000 miles since the restoration.

In 2004, the car was acquired by a well-known collector in Portland who added it to his collection of Auburns and Cords. Over the next 15 years the car was allowed to set in his garage. At some point the engine became stuck and the car was not driven again. With the passing of the current owner in 2019, his family is now offering this Cord for sale.

Today it shows as what it is: an older, driver-quality restoration that has been enjoyed over the last 30 years. Body appears rust-free. Lacquer paint is fair and while it benefited from a recent light detail, there are areas of checking and flaking that will want to be addressed by the new owner, or perhaps receive a full re-paint. The chrome is old and should be re-plated for show. Tires are now over 30 years old. The interior non-authentic vinyl upholstery is worn (particularly the front seat cushion) but it appears that the vinyl was installed over the original tan broadcloth, which could be used as patterns for a new interior, if desired. This car is highly optioned with Cord heater/defroster and radio with overhead speaker and bumper guards. Beautiful dashboard with all gauges and instruments present.

PLEASE SEE PHOTOS WHICH WERE JUST TAKEN FOR THIS LISTING AND SHOW CURRENT CONDITION.

As mentioned above, the engine is stuck and will not turn. The car cannot currently be driven. The right (passenger) side cylinder head was recently removed for inspection and it was found that the #1 and #2 pistons are stuck as the result of water or coolant leaking into those cylinders at some point in the past. (See photo.) Rather than attempting to break the pistions free, the head was lightly bolted back in place to allow the new owner to approach the recommissioning as they see fit. The electrical system was tested and appears to be functioning properly. Lights work. The transmission was manually shifted into neutral and the car rolls and stops for moving and loading onto a transporter.

There are several options for the new owner: 1. Get it running again and enjoy it as-is. 2. Perform a full restoration of drivetrain and body to concours level. 3. Drop in a modern powerplant (gas or electric?) and make a mild custom, retaining the classic original outside appearance as designed by Gordon Buehrig. The choice is yours. Whatever you do, the result will be an iconic car that is regarded as one of the greatest automotive body designs in history.

This car includes an extensive file of manuals, records and receipts relating to the history, prior restoration, service and ownership through the years, as well as all of the ACD Club documents related to the Certification made in 1989.

Overall, this is a worthwhile project that should be relatively straight-forward to get running again. The car is complete with no missing parts. It was a running and driving car that lives up to the old adage "Ran when parked." It will be time well spent to get it back on the road. We have dealt with and sold many Cords over the years and are happy to answer any questions.

Neat car....and one on my want to own if I trip over it list. That said, knowing these cars, and what they need to go down the road........and looking at the photos detailing the car, it's condition, and it's past service and restoration........I ask myself the following question...........what number can I be in this car at, and have room to work fixing it......just to be in it at it's current normal running and driving condition retail price? NOT considering room to flip and make money, just the I want to keep it as a driver number. My number is lower than what is currently listed on ebay...........and I can fix this car myself........easier than 99 percent of the people out there. My point is........in this condition.....this is a "project car" today.......and the gamble of the numbers game to the up and down side is probably not worth the exposure when you can buy a running turn key car for not much more money and drive it today with only 5 percent of the risk.

PS- I like the car......

Well I figure if you took the front clip from a complete car you would be a whole lot further ahead than trying to piece it back together.   Being my car is nto a correct supercharged car not alot of sense in investing in the supercharger.  Just make the pipes functional and live with that. 

I have an Auburn to fix first either way that's a whole lot closer to seeing road time than the Cord.  Never thought I would have that problem 10 years ago. 

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Neat car....and one on my want to own if I trip over it list. That said, knowing these cars, and what they need to go down the road........and looking at the photos detailing the car, it's condition, and it's past service and restoration........I ask myself the following question...........what number can I be in this car at, and have room to work fixing it......just to be in it at it's current normal running and driving condition retail price? NOT considering room to flip and make money, just the I want to keep it as a driver number. My number is lower than what is currently listed on ebay...........and I can fix this car myself........easier than 99 percent of the people out there. My point is........in this condition.....this is a "project car" today.......and the gamble of the numbers game to the up and down side is probably not worth the exposure when you can buy a running turn key car for not much more money and drive it today with only 5 percent of the risk.

PS- I like the car......

I will beat the drum for these all day long.   Very soon I will be a certified guru (because of blood, sweat, tears and lost hair) on the entire shifting system.   The bad news is that it is complex, but the good news is that you can get every part and there are guys that will trip over themselves to help you.

Sorted these are GREAT road cars.

IMG_6964.jpg

IMG_7312.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, alsancle said:

26k or so feels 10k light to me for a real SC Beverly although with an engine swap.

But Ed will point out I'm almost always too generous.

🤔

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 1:57 AM, Davlet said:

25k only((( whyyyy

Screenshot_20201103-005608_eBay.jpg

Because the engine had issues - when you let a car sit with bad aluminum cylinder heads you get all hell breaking loose (so you have a car that is probably worth around possibly 50-ish if running and driving that needs 10K plus or minus of engine work (aka price is about right). 

On 9/2/2020 at 1:03 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan - $42,000 - Homer Glen, ILL 

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/homer-glen-1937-cord-supercharged/7186640719.html

1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan, Chassis No. 320905, Original Engine No.FC2885 (does not have original engine.) Body No., Model 812. 170 hp, 288.6 cu. in. supercharged L-head V-8 engine, four-speed pre-selector transmission, trailing arm front suspension with transverse leaf spring, tubular rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 125" - Timeless Gordon Buehrig design
- Supercharged Lycoming V-8  - Low-production bustle-back Beverly sedan 1 of 184 original SC Beverly Sedan body style.
I have documentation that this supercharged Beverly sedan has had just three owners since 1949 and has always been in the state of Illinois. It was restored from an excellent original car and has been in the current owner’s collection since 1982. Correctly painted in RED, it has cloth upholstery with tan piping throughout.
The paint looks pretty good as well does the chrome, with the effect being an appearance that belies the age of the restoration. It has accessory fog lights, whitewall tires and has the sought-after “bustle” trunk lid that affords copious luggage space. The car has not run in sometime, but ran well when it was put in storage.
According to the late Cord historian Josh Malks, about 401 bustle-back Beverly sedans were built, barely a quarter the quantity of fastback models. Slightly more than a third of them were supercharged. As such, this lovely Cord is both rare and desirable.  The cloth headliner needs repair as well as the right front door glass, and one fog light.  Car is being sold from an Estate. It has an Illinois title.  Priced at $42,000.
You may email or call the Estate’s Administrator at the number above.

Copy and paste in your email:   eb249002762633c4ac1d37dbeae30cee@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan.

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL a.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL b.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL c.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL d.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL e.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL f.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL g.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL h.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL i.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL j.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL k.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL l.jpg

'37 Cord Supercharged Beverly ILL m.jpg

As to this car - price probably should be in the 30's somewhere (despite its flaws, it probably it equally strikes me as a pretty good car).  And an S/C car with an S/C replacement engine is no big deal - common in Cords.   

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...