Gauge in the ash tray

Chasander

I'd like to see something like that.  I'd be happy wth 2 digital gauges, oil and temp.  I have 2 electric gauges(installed by previous owner, but are the small 1 5/8 dia gauges and are hard to read at a glance.   I can alway return the tray.

Art

b5.JPG.d073c32c6b0d1d79537190365a58b9cc.JPGb6.JPG.7f5fefb54bfee7ff8bc6405ef38fc303.JPG 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awk409ak said:

I'd like to see something like that.  I'd be happy wth 2 digital gauges, oil and temp.  I have 2 electric gauges(installed by previous owner, but are the small 1 5/8 dia gauges and are hard to read at a glance.   I can alway return the tray.

Art

b5.JPG.d073c32c6b0d1d79537190365a58b9cc.JPGb6.JPG.7f5fefb54bfee7ff8bc6405ef38fc303.JPG 

Nicely done.

4 hours ago, Chasander said:

I’ve been looking for a digital gauge that could be mounted under the ash tray door. I would like the readout to be able to cycle between oil, temp, and maybe amps with preset alarms. Has anyone seen one like this. 

Chuck, the internet is chocked full of the digital stuff so finding what you want should not be hard. The digital stuff is reasonably priced.

i preferred the analog dials because for my taste a analog needle gauge looks like it goes with a 63 car. Of course, the zRiviera never came with gauges. Kevin Kegart’s install of his gauges in his ash tray is superior work.

Youll get no argument ever from me about what is right or what is wrong with how a man outfits his car.

Good Luck

Bob

The ONLY thing I don't like about the digital gauges is that they are constantly fluctuating. I most prefer the mechanical analog gauges myself. You can tell at just a glance where things are at WITHOUT  taking your eyes entirely off the road ahead.

Of course everyone one to their own.

10 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Chuck, the internet is chocked full of the digital stuff so finding what you want should not be hard. The digital stuff is reasonably priced.

i preferred the analog dials because for my taste a analog needle gauge looks like it goes with a 63 car. Of course, the zRiviera never came with gauges. Kevin Kegart’s install of his gauges in his ash tray is superior work.

Youll get no argument ever from me about what is right or what is wrong with how a man outfits his car.

Good Luck

Bob

Like to see what Kevin did with his gauges?

Telriv,

I have the 1 5/8 electric gauges which are not a full sweep gauges and are hard to read.  The digital would be easier to read even if it fluctuates a little, especially at night.

Art

I lost my computer due to the hurricane & had to buy a new one & still learning. 

Turbinater   (Bob Burnopp) I sent you pics of my gauges & installation a while back.  You still have them to post on here???   By the way my gauges are 1 1/2" & right in my basic line of site.

Tom T.

Speaking of gauges , thought some might find this useful . When I restored my 65GS , I removed the clock and put a tach in the spot where the clock was . Fit perfectly after a little tweaking . Lights  up and even changes colors as you increase rpm .

KReed

ROA 14549 

C473D5A5-FC19-40AB-A53E-FC630DA62E6E.jpeg

A8BFE3F4-5564-4940-B00D-B6FF4E277E88.jpeg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, kreed said:

Speaking of gauges , thought some might find this useful . When I restored my 65GS , I removed the clock and put a tach in the spot where the clock was . Fit perfectly after a little tweaking . Lights  up and even changes colors as you increase rpm .

KReed

ROA 14549 

Now, that is really neat with the color changing as the RPM’s go higher. Imaginative.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 12:52 PM, telriv said:

The ONLY thing I don't like about the digital gauges is that they are constantly fluctuating. I most prefer the mechanical analog gauges myself. You can tell at just a glance where things are at WITHOUT  taking your eyes entirely off the road ahead.

Of course everyone one to their own.

Tom Ive got my gauges in the ash tray.

i can keep my left eye on the road. My right eye is trained so I can turn the socket toward the gauges. This way I can see the gauges and not take my eye off the road.

Turbinator 

4 hours ago, Chasander said:

Dakota Digital # ODYR-40-2/SLX-40-2 ,2 1/16 Dia .is a multifunction gauge W/alarm set points. Looks like what I’m looking for. Gets a bit $$$ after adding transducers. Looks like it may fit in clock location. 

Chasander,

That's a cool gauge, but yea pricy.  I think Intellitronix can do them in one panel for my ash tray then I can hide it by closing the door.  I do like maybe adding a tach where the clock is, just need to find one that is period correct.  I also try to keep the mod's to where it can  always be returned back to shock with out too much effort.

Art

Edited by awk409ak (see edit history)

There was someone who was converting the light side to gauges in the stock housing.  Don't remember who it was, BUT could not be turned back to original without another housing.

I thought it looked "Cool" as it appeared stock as installed from the factory'

And Bob, Turbinator, when we talked I asked if you could post the pics. of my set-up.  I don't know IF you have been able to find them.

I just got another system of my computer working last night.  I'll see IF I can find them in the meantime.

Tom T.

On 9/2/2020 at 9:40 PM, telriv said:

I lost my computer due to the hurricane & had to buy a new one & still learning. 

Turbinater   (Bob Burnopp) I sent you pics of my gauges & installation a while back.  You still have them to post on here???   By the way my gauges are 1 1/2" & right in my basic line of site.

Tom T.

Tom, I looked for your pics until my eyes crossed. I’ll look again.

Turbinator

I've posted this before but for those of you who are new, here's the gauge setup that was in my '63 when I got it.  The gauges as I have reassembled them are not in the same places that they were when I took them apart but you can get the idea.The tach was in the upper left hole, and the vacuum gauge was in the upper right.  You could see the full faces of those two. The bottom of the face on the other two was even with the console so nothing was hidden from view.  The entire ashtray mounting assembly was replaced by the black panel.  The blue tape represents the opening in the console; the holes indicated by the red arrow were where the entire assembly was attached to the console, and the hole indicated by the green arrow was for the light switch for the gauges.  The console lid would close hiding the gauges.  Five gauges in all.  

100_4800.thumb.JPG.a896e30ea7578f2a8766546579b34b1c.JPG

Here's a picture of the panel from the back.  You can see the mountings for the lamp bulbs.  The oil pressure gauge was not electric, it was connected directly to a T at the oil pressure sending unit.  The tach was self illuminated.

100_4801.thumb.JPG.b0299480b27b0f7ff56d32372f1bf921.JPG

When I wrote gauges IN the ashtray I was literal. Ed, the installation you have on the console is sharp. I wanted my two little gauges where I could hide them. As you will remember I told you my left eye is on the road ahead while my right eye is trained to focus elsewhere. My right eye can see the gauges while I keep my left on the road. So, putting the gauges in the ashtray is the best route for me and not terribly expensive. The lights in the gauges are really helpful at night.

6B5A8DAE-751F-473D-BDED-819A37A959E2.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 5:29 PM, TexRiv_63 said:

I did that on my 63 using larger gauges.

DSCF7288.JPG

DSCF7290.JPG

Admittedly, larger gauges are easier to see. Add light and even easier. Because of errors coupled with mishaps I ended up ruining two sets of gauges before the third set worked. Don’t ask how someone could be so hapless, but it happened. The biggest problem I had was making adaptor connections. The NPT with British American fittings gave me headache. I knew what I wanted I could not write what it was. Finally I worked it out.

Yes, the larger gauges are better. My white background with orange pointers helps to see what is going on. I enjoy having the gauges.

Turbinator

5 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Admittedly, larger gauges are easier to see. Add light and even easier. Because of errors coupled with mishaps I ended up ruining two sets of gauges before the third set worked. Don’t ask how someone could be so hapless, but it happened. The biggest problem I had was making adaptor connections. The NPT with British American fittings gave me headache. I knew what I wanted I could not write what it was. Finally I worked it out.

Yes, the larger gauges are better. My white background with orange pointers helps to see what is going on. I enjoy having the gauges.

Turbinator

I do remember that with a new stereo CD player, lighted gauges, and all the control wires for the Vintage Air system that center dash and console area was a real bag of snakes behind the calm exterior...

1 hour ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I do remember that with a new stereo CD player, lighted gauges, and all the control wires for the Vintage Air system that center dash and console area was a real bag of snakes behind the calm exterior...

When your back is stiff as a board and you are in a plush soft bucket seats it increases difficulty to reach in the little ashtray opening. Add to the bad back my oversized girth some would wonder how I do anything. I did find tube connectors for the copper tubing. The reason I needed connectors is because of the 12 foot length of copper tubing I did not allow enough length inside the car. I had already “ buttoned up” the hole I made in the floor board for the two gauges. I had to splice one of the tubes so it would reach the gauge. I found a brass 1/8” x 1/8” straight connector at Ace Hardware that did the trick. 
Turbinator

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is my ‘63. Don’t use the ashtray anymore, not even for small change. And it can all be reversed as I still retained all the original bits. Easy to see at a glance and imo look OEM. 😀

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

253FBFE4-DB97-4A94-B994-504D9C998D49.png

0FD0582B-8255-4C29-9EF9-F4B18E342108.png

• Like 5

One model of Sun oil pressure gauge matches the Rivs big gauges nicely & fits perfectly in the clock hole. Best mod I ever made! Ashtray is reserved for my 50 yr old lucky rabbit's foot, which hung from mirror til PETA came along.

34 minutes ago, kegart said:

Bob, my car will read 18 to 20 psi at idle and 40 at highway speeds,  once its warmed up. Cold the pressure is higher. My old Pontiac with a 455 would read 10 to 15 at idle, no problems 

Kevin 

Kevin,  I don’t have any problems with the engine. Sounds good runs good. I was curious learn what other engine oil pressures might be. I have not run the car more than 30 or 40 minutes on a highway drive since the rebuild and the oil pressure is around 27-30 psi. At idle the oil pressure is 15-20 psi.

Im not looking for something to fix that is not broke. However, I’m curious to know what others experience.

Thank you very much for your help.

Turbinator

Old school rule of thumb: 10 lbs of oil pressure for every 1,000 rpm's.  A tach would be helpful but with 28" tall tires (225/75R15) with an automatic transmission at 70 mph your engine is running around 2600 rpm's so around 25 - 30 lbs of oil pressure is fine. At 80 mph, your rpm's around 3,000 rpm's so 30 to 35 lbs of oil pressure should be good.  With smaller tires ypur rpm's will be higher so you'll need to keep that in mind.

On 9/17/2020 at 4:29 PM, TexRiv_63 said:

I did that on my 63 using larger gauges.

DSCF7288.JPG

DSCF7290.JPG

I need those slide controls on my Vintage Air. Wonder if they will work in place of my rotary ones?

1 hour ago, jframe said:

I need those slide controls on my Vintage Air. Wonder if they will work in place of my rotary ones?

I started with the rotaries which came with the kit but switched to the sliders, I think they hook up the same but you need a lead for backlighting. I agonized over cutting the original panel for quite a while but in the end was happy with the result.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 6:50 PM, kreed said:

KReed

ROA 14549 

Hi Kreed,

I'm also interested in learning what brand tachometer you used on your '65 GS.  Where did you buy it, and about how much did it cost?  I looked on the Summit Racing website but they list so many different types of tachs that it's a bit like finding a needle in a haystack.  Thanks for any info you can provide.  Alex