1947 Hudson Big Boy Pick Up Truck $9,200 -- C/L South Bend, IN

Here's a link to '47 Hudson Big Boy pick up that's for sale on Craigslist in northern Indiana. It's not cheap and it's filthy dirty, but I think that it looks particularly straight under it all. And, yes, it's ready to restore:

https://southbend.craigslist.org/pts/d/mishawaka-1947-hudson-big-boy-pickup/7187961580.html

Ad copy:

Recently pulled out of a barn in Pennville, IN after a 42 year slumber. Truck is complete and ready to restore. If you are looking for a project truck to start working through the fall and winter months, this is it! No trades please. Reasonable offers considered. If it’s posted, it’s available. Please txt or call with any questions. Txt or call Vic 574-329-1256 Thank you.

00e0e_bcYsGDNerwX_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00O0O_evUJCixre6U_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Check out the steering wheel and floor mat:

00A0A_160MFxppRqW_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00l0l_3JT32d9jFaI_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Looks to be very original. I’ve never ever seen that steering wheel before with that added ring. I see it has indicators mounted on top of the front fenders. I wonder if the extra ring on the steering wheel is an aftermarket turn signal?  Love the floor mat !!

• Like 1

That floor matt is super cool.  I wonder if it can be saved.  Often when you touch something like that it crumbles and tears even though it looks good when you disturb it at all.  I would buy one for my truck if I could find it.  Even say $300 for one as I hate the Carpet in mine. 

• Like 1

Those are at the top of the list of coolest pickups. Someone needs to buy it.

"Ready to restore" is one of those phrases you don't want to see in an ad.

"Been sitting in a field for 40 years, sunk up to the axles in the dirt, and ready to restore....."

• Haha 1

Seems the mat should also fit 4 door sedans,  but even with that probably still not enough interest in getting any made.  Lucked out when I had my 48 Chevy fleetline aerosedan and found an original brown floor matt that though it had a couple of small tears was really nice on ebay for under $200.  Boy it really finished it off as it was all original and the original matt must have crumbled and been tossed years before.  Most people like carpets but I prefer matts in my old cars. 

23 hours ago, paulrhd29nz said:

Looks to be very original. I’ve never ever seen that steering wheel before with that added ring. I see it has indicators mounted on top of the front fenders. I wonder if the extra ring on the steering wheel is an aftermarket turn signal?  Love the floor mat !!

I've seen optional horn rings on cars that otherwise only had a horn button in the center of the steering wheel. In fact, I came across one for a '38 Plymouth recently. The turn signal switch is a smallish conventional one clamped onto the steering column down by the dashboard. You sort of have to look for it.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
15 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

That floor matt is super cool.  I wonder if it can be saved.  Often when you touch something like that it crumbles and tears even though it looks good when you disturb it at all.  I would buy one for my truck if I could find it.  Even say $300 for one as I hate the Carpet in mine. 

Wildrick Rubber Products has them for $ 500.  Hudson Built Steel Body emblem

rubber floor mat.jpg

That's cool.  I might have to look into that.  I would like to redo my interior anyways.  Why someone would upholster a truck interior in White with blue accents is beyond me,  Especially on a 40's Truck.  Maybe a 55 Cameo but not a 47 Hudson.  Saw a 40 Stude Coupe express done in all white and it was a dark maroon body.  All stock and beautifully restored otherwise.   Just looks incredibly out of place. 

6 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

That's cool.  I might have to look into that.  I would like to redo my interior anyways.  Why someone would upholster a truck interior in White with blue accents is beyond me,  Especially on a 40's Truck.  Maybe a 55 Cameo but not a 47 Hudson.  Saw a 40 Stude Coupe express done in all white and it was a dark maroon body.  All stock and beautifully restored otherwise.   Just looks incredibly out of place. 

Well, if color isn't your priority, maybe texture is. Check out the interior in this '34 Hupp that is currently on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174411298294

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Brakes are adequate and you can get everything new for them easily.  Potmetal is near impossible to find so be sure what you have is good or plan on a long hard expensive hunt.  The later Hudson 6's are available so you could swap in one of those if you didn't want to keep the splash oiler that's in it.  Probably alot easier than a V8 as most cars with a 6 have stuff in the way when you go from an inline to a V type engine.  I imagine the steering box/ column would be a problem. 

Thank you, very interesting.  I am picturing a dark blue, like Washington Blue, or the 1939 Ford special color for spring month only, Cloud Mist Grey, which was actually a green.  Saddle leather interior, stock body and rims/tires, 

Very easy to restore. It is just a Hudson sedan cut off behind the door, with a truck cab placed on the back.  The one for sale would be a good one to start with. Parts are out there. Very easy to make a new bed for them, if the original one is in bad condition. Can dress them out with all of the passenger car trim as well. One of the best looking vintage pickups. Straight up restoration would be easy with this one listed for sale. Trucks were very plain from the factory. A sedan parts car can still be bought for $1,200-2,000. Well worth the extra money if you want to finish it out with the passenger car trim.

wood grain 011.JPG

buick 030.JPG

• Like 1
1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Brakes are adequate and you can get everything new for them easily.  Potmetal is near impossible to find so be sure what you have is good or plan on a long hard expensive hunt.  The later Hudson 6's are available so you could swap in one of those if you didn't want to keep the splash oiler that's in it.  Probably alot easier than a V8 as most cars with a 6 have stuff in the way when you go from an inline to a V type engine.  I imagine the steering box/ column would be a problem. 

My 47 convertible is all stock, Just has the 354 Hemi. It clears the stock steering column/box. 

Hudson convertible 107.JPG