1963 Buick Riviera "Barn Find" car in rough shape

CLEM17

I have a 1963 Riviera, I believe it has the 425 and have always been told that. But now I'm not sure, possibly the 401. It runs and drives (in reverse), Forward is out of the 2-speed Power Glide. The car is from Kansas, in pretty rough shape (body and rust wise) however the metal is straight with no dents or dings. I'm almost positive that it is ALL there, all the chrome, trim, interior, even the roll up wing window handles! I had and still have pretty big dreams for the car and would LOVE to turn it into an all black STREET SLEEPER, however with children, time, and some money costs. I'm wondering if it would be best to sell it? How much is it worth?

Any comments or information would be greatly appreciated!

The first thing to do to help you sell the car is to learn as much as possible about it.  

Does it have standard or custom interior. What options does it have. Note: power steering, power brakes, V8 4bbl engine w/ dual exhaust, automatic transmission, console with shifter, bucket seats are all standard equipment.  The transmission is not a Powerglide, it's a Buick Dynaflow. Similar to today's CVT transmission. Put it in drive and go from 0 to 120 mph with no shifting of gears - multiple torque converters.  A/C was an option. Power seat (drivers side only) and power windows were options, as were power vent windows.  

Here's an illustration that shows where to find the Production Code Number

unnamed.jpg.8e4e13672a87c0d068ca0b3a658224f5.jpg

This is an illustration of a 66 engine.

J is the code for 1963

T is the code for a 401

W is the code for a 425.

The Engine Serial Number should match your VIN "Numbers matching."

Post lots of pictures.

So, advise to Clem17, if you keep it, DO NOT DISMANTLE YOUR RIVIERA. Instead, do what it takes to make it drive-able, The Dynaflow can be repaired and you can then decide to continue with repairs or sell with the value you have added. Of course an audit of desired work and the $$ you paid for it should fall far short of the cost of buying ready-to-drive/show-able car that's on the market.

Ed (above) has the link for the Riviera Owner's Assoc. in his signature block to help in your research.

John B.

16 hours ago, CLEM17 said:

I have a 1963 Riviera, I believe it has the 425 and have always been told that. But now I'm not sure, possibly the 401. It runs and drives (in reverse), Forward is out of the 2-speed Power Glide. The car is from Kansas, in pretty rough shape (body and rust wise) however the metal is straight with no dents or dings. I'm almost positive that it is ALL there, all the chrome, trim, interior, even the roll up wing window handles! I had and still have pretty big dreams for the car and would LOVE to turn it into an all black STREET SLEEPER, however with children, time, and some money costs. I'm wondering if it would be best to sell it? How much is it worth?

Any comments or information would be greatly appreciated!

Without pics all I can base it on is this statement -  "in pretty rough shape (body and rust wise)" and knowing rust is almost ALWAYS underestimated and the ultimate #1 killer of dreams on project cars.  Unlikely anyone would spend the money and time to restore so its probably a good parts car. Hope I am wrong but if that turns out to be the case, figure $1500, more or less depending on condition of in demand usable parts. 

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)