Why I could not post a reply, I think ?

I've been trying to post a couple of replys (most of no consequence, just chatter) to no avail.

I even called Lamar to see if there was a way, Again to no avail.

Come to find out (by accident) the forums cannot be utilized with the old Internet Explorer.

I tried Chrome, and now I can "post"

Which is probably bad for Ya'll

SO,,,,,,,, my question is ,,,,,,,,,,, anybody out there still using Explorer, and has this happened to you ?

Wait a minute, if it's true you can't answer, so who am I talking to ?

Mike in Colorado

PS; I just posted a reply and it works, Also the 3 little buttons work right. Yippee !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm back in the saddle again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's not good for my laptop with an older browser, but.... I can't install updates as the memory is too low, but I do what shows on the screen to get back memory,,, all to no avail.

So, Peter might be glowing in fixing something that was not broken, but us on a fixed income with only one device, now have to deal with a mess of a website.  In my case, I can't see any difference in telling where a quote leaves off and a new reply starts.  So I have to keep back tracking each post to know who said what.   Sometimes if everyone quotes, I have to go back 10 posts to know who was the one that said this or that.  That ruined the site for me.  It's a mess.    I could give 2 -s;;;ts about some new sidebar thing that is supposed to be some cool hip thing, I came here to read, and I can't. 

also, If I hover over a post title to get the preview, I can see the backround behind the preview.  So it's words superimposed over words, except for a picture that will block the backround out.   But I don't care about that error, it's the written posts that have quotes, as many posts do, that is almost impossible for me to decipher.  

I can't fix my browser memory, and I sure can't justify a new laptop expense just for this site's changes "for the better".  I will save  money for my project.... I have given up on my resto thread, as it makes things harder for me, and it's supposed to be a hobby, not frustration.

I get tired of others saying we just need to spend money to keep up with the technology, easy to say if you were born rich, or are overpaid, or dual incomes, etc.

• Thanks 2
5 hours ago, F&J said:

In my case, I can't see any difference in telling where a quote leaves off and a new reply starts.  So I have to keep back tracking each post to know who said what.   Sometimes if everyone quotes, I have to go back 10 posts to know who was the one that said this or that.  That ruined the site for me.

I can understand your frustration. Are you not able to click on "Expand" and see the entire quote as shown in the photos below?

Quote:

1151218851_Screenshot_2020-09-01FavoritePicturesofMyBuickReatta.png.c2337b09255913f223c5653ebee6963a.png

This is the quote expanded:

998864519_Screenshot_2020-09-01FavoritePicturesofMyBuickReatta(1).png.df7e8fa3d2f10aedd2818273831b623d.png

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Are you not able to

No, that is not the issue.  I don't have a cell so I can't do a screenshot...but, I will type exactly what your reply to me looks like.  There is nothing that shows where my words end and your words start.

starting with my last sentence shown in your post to me, and just the start of your own words :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That ruined the site for me.

I can understand your frustration...

Quote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you see that there is no difference, no space, no line, or no quote box to tell the difference between our words.  And to make it worse, look at where the bold Quote: is.  That is showing under your typed words to me.   So it makes it impossible to know who originally said what if I read a long thread where people keep re-quoting. 

other things like the notification bells don't work now, I can deal with that, but trying to understand a car problem help request that already has replies, I can't tell if the original poster said he tried something or if it was a reply saying to try something. 

Whatever,.... it is what it is. 

I'm having similar, but different issues. All the computers I use are Macs...this site no longer works with the old version of Safari I have, It does work with Firefox but who knows how long that will last. I can't upgrade either because I am at the limit of what can be done with this computer. Like Frank, as much as I enjoy this site I am not going to buy a new computer to access it. I belong to four or five web forums and have more trouble with this site than all the others put together.

1 hour ago, JV Puleo said:

I'm having similar, but different issues. All the computers I use are Macs...this site no longer works with the old version of Safari I have, It does work with Firefox but who knows how long that will last. I can't upgrade either because I am at the limit of what can be done with this computer. Like Frank, as much as I enjoy this site I am not going to buy a new computer to access it. I belong to four or five web forums and have more trouble with this site than all the others put together.

Sorry your having trouble. Have you tried Chrome?

3 hours ago, F&J said:

Whatever,.... it is what it is. 

Sadly you may be right. The only other suggestion I could make is try adjusting your screen settings for brightness and contrast. You should be seeing a very light color on the background of quotes that makes them stand out. Maybe adjusting the screen settings will allow you to see that.

Re Chrome... Yes, I have. It won't load on my computer as the operating system is too old.

I should add that I use that computer for my book design and editing work with InDesign. It's the last InDesign version that is not an internet subscription service. It works just fine for my work but there is a limit to the operating system I can use. Even if I buy another computer I cannot go more than a generation or two past the present one in the operating system or I'm out of business. Upgrading to the current system is a lot more complicated and expensive than buying another computer and I don't make enough on my design work to justify the expense of signing up for the latest version of InDesign. I'd be working for Adobe...

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
On 9/2/2020 at 1:12 PM, JV Puleo said:

Re Chrome... Yes, I have. It won't load on my computer as the operating system is too old.

I should add that I use that computer for my book design and editing work with InDesign. It's the last InDesign version that is not an internet subscription service. It works just fine for my work but there is a limit to the operating system I can use. Even if I buy another computer I cannot go more than a generation or two past the present one in the operating system or I'm out of business. Upgrading to the current system is a lot more complicated and expensive than buying another computer and I don't make enough on my design work to justify the expense of signing up for the latest version of InDesign. I'd be working for Adobe...

I would suggest you consider what I do. I also have business software that runs on an older operating systems. I don't use those computers online. I use a Windows 7 laptop running Chrome for internet access. You can purchase a refurbished Windows 7 laptop cheaper than you might expect on Ebay. I actually have some spare laptops and plan to stick with Windows 7 as long as possible.  

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)