Ice cream

rocketraider

When my grandchildren were little they always had to in "grandpa's yellow ice cream car", my '31 A cabriolet in brown and yellow.  Soooo- I just had to get 3 or 4 or 5 in and go for the ride first and end with ice cream!  A treasured memory now with them all grown up and some away.  As a veteran tour planner and tourist there are many tours that include (sometimes require?) a planned daily ice cream stop so the big kids can get their fix.  Never underestimate the power of the cone!!   🍦 = 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many old and not so old fuddy duddies used to complain when Dixie and I let our young sons eat ice cream in my Pontiac.  I always thought cars were to be driven and enjoyed by everyone in the family.

Yep first place a load of Grand-kids and I went in the DeSoto was to the drive inn for cones. 

Just one reason I'm not interested in getting new interior. Let her drip. Priceless to look in the rear view mirror and see a bunch of smiling faces covered in ice cream. 

• Like 3

Growing up as a kid in antique car clubs during the 50's, 60's, and early 70's, I was often called home from play just before dusk, to "go for a ride." Sometimes it was just my family in our antique car, sometimes with other car-loving families who lived nearby, or sometimes in our modern convertible cars (first a 1957 Bel Air convt, and later a 67 Impala convt). We cruised through the nearby rural countryside slowly, enjoying the scenery and waving at people we saw along the road. (I recall being amazed at how many lightening bugs I saw over farmer's fields). Inevitably we ended up at the root beer stand, where we had root beers and floats. From about the age of 10 I used to stare at the pretty car hops who brought our food, and was thrilled when one of them might smile a greeting my way. When we finished Dad would put the top up, and we drove home in the darkness. 

Wow, what wonderful memories. I miss those days. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, rocketraider said:

What's up with the obsession with "going for an ice cream"?🍨

Most old cars don't have air conditioning!  You need SOMETHING to keep yourself cool on the trip, and it may as well be an Ice Cream or two!!  

Craig

One of the leading excuses to take out the old car and go for a treat. Ice Cream. Kids, wives, the dog...I don't know anyone who has said no to me when I say, "Lets jump in the old car and go for an ice cream." Nobody has ever said "no, "I'm not into that".

A few examples of us getting ice cream are below. What's the big deal? Try asking your adult sons if they'd like to come over and perform yard maintenance with you. Spend some quality time together ripping out a tree stump or raking leaves. Notice there are no glum, grumpy frowns on any faces shown. Off we go, for ice cream!

IMG_5924.jpg

IMG_6708.JPG

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Most old cars don't have air conditioning!  You need SOMETHING to keep yourself cool on the trip, and it may as well be an Ice Cream or two!!  

Craig

And here I thought I was COOL just driving an old car to get the ice cream! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

An ice-cream run makes everyone happy.  The car's owner wants to take it out because, well, of course he does.  And kids love ice cream. So if you go for an ice cream run, they really want to go with you.  Everyone has fun.

• Like 1