Visors - 58 Roadmaster

highcking

Visors on my car will not stay up. There are three possibilities for the needed friction:

1) Little screw in the visor bracket? No - this screw simply engages an indentation in the arm so the visor stays in the bracket. 

2) The grommets that snap into the mirror bracket? Possible. My grommets are there (sort of tan-colored barrels) and snap in firmly. Rather smooth in texture though.

3) A nylon sleeve in the visor bracket? Doesn't seem likely and none are advertised for sale before about 1960 or 61. 

Advice?

Bill in Luray

The 58 sunvisor brackets must be different than the 56 brackets but, for whatever it is worth, my passengers side kept falling and I kept tightening the screw

20200901_093746.jpg

till it recently stripped the threds in the bracket. With no in stock replacement I sourced a stainless steel acorn nut

20200901_093854.jpg

tightened it up, and it hasn't dropped all season. 

John - yes, quite different at least in the Roadmaster. Visors are long and heavy, lots of upholstery, and the bracket design is different too. The screw you picture generally does the job, but not on my 58. That screw which is very tiny, maybe a #6, simply engages and indentation in the shaft.  Still exploring ...

• 1 month later...

John - I got my car back from the shop and will now return to the visor issue. I've been studying the situation and conclude that the little screw doesn't work for a particular reason. At least on my car, the screw goes through a "neck" in the shaft that inserts into the mount. That arrangement prevents the visor from coming out of the mount, AND it can exert friction on the shaft provided the "neck" on the shaft hasn't worn down. The screw alone can't exert any compressive force on the arm -- the screw head bottoms out and that's it. However, by running a longer screw into an acorn nut, you CAN generate compression on the bracket. I think these brackets worked fine from the factory until the parts wore a bit and the screw no longer puts "drag" on the shaft.

I'm doing to try your method. Have to be careful with the force because the brackets look like brittle castings.

• Like 2