574 Mercedes Benz

452 Ferrari

209 BMW

179 Jaguar

134 Konenigsegg

21 Lamborghini

11 Astro Martin

1  SSC  

The car collection of the 29th Sultan of Brunei is the largest private car collection in the world, consisting of approximately 7,000 cars which have an estimated combined value over $5 billion USD. The 29th Sultan of Brunei, Hassanal Bolkiah, is one of the last absolute monarchs of the modern era. He is the 29th (and current) Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan, Prime Minister, Defence Minister, Finance Minister, and Head of Religion of the Nation of Brunei. The majority of his wealth is sourced from oil and gas development, which has allowed him to amass a net worth of $20 billion USD, making him the second richest royal in the world after King of Thailand, Maha VajiralongkornThis wealth combined with his interest in cars has allowed the Sultan to purchase over 2,000 cars, including more than 600 Rolls-Royces, 550 Mercedes-Benzes, 450 Ferraris. Within his collection of cars, the Sultan’s collection of Ferrari F40s, McLaren F1s, and Rolls-Royces are particularly notable due to the rarity of the vehicles and their values.  

53 minutes ago, Mark Gregory said:

604 Rolls Royce

574 Mercedes Benz

452 Ferrari

209 BMW

179 Jaguar

134 Konenigsegg

21 Lamborghini

11 Astro Martin

1  SSC  

The car collection of the 29th Sultan of Brunei is the largest private car collection in the world, consisting of approximately 7000 cars which have an estimated combined value over $5 Billion USD. [1] The 29th Sultan of Brunei, Hassanal Bolkiah, is one of the last absolute monarchs of the modern era. He is the 29th (and current) Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan, Prime Minister, Defence Minister, Finance Minister, and Head of Religion of the Nation of Brunei.[2] The majority of his wealth is sourced from oil and gas development, which has allowed him to amass a net worth of $20 billion USD, making him the second richest royal in the world after King of Thailand, Maha Vajiralongkorn.[3] [4] This wealth combined with his interest in cars has allowed the Sultan to purchase over 2000 cars, including more than 600 Rolls-Royces, 550 Mercedes Benzes, 450 Ferraris [1] Within his collection of cars, the Sultan’s collection of Ferrari F40s, McLaren F1s, and Rolls-Royces are particularly notable due to the rarity of the vehicles and their value.  

Funny how you can't buy "Class"

You either have it or you don't

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Has he ever driven any of his cars? does he want to? different strokes for different folks. My greatest pleasure with my old cars is taking people for a ride or at least letting them sit in it.

I think of the first ride I had in a old car with running boards - it was a 1931 Chrysler Imperial CG five passenger sedan . Was hard for me to see over the hood . But oh what a memorable experience I still recall today - that was 57 years ago.

I know nothing about super cars, but it seems that some of the values listed seem to be inflated a bit, maybe for insurance purposes😁

And somewhat related to the thread on the E-vette, with this guy around I dont think we (us gas loving car guys) will have to worry about the pumps drying up too soon! He needs to keep the wells pumping just to supply his own fleet.

36 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Better him then me. He has a problem, and it's mental. 

Please clarify that one.  He is a younger individual, and relates the cars of his youth, and likes to collect them.

I'd sure hate the idea someone figured William Harrah or Jack Nethercutt were both 'mental' because they liked to collect an excessive amount of cars.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Craig,

I don't know the man and I don't have any how he displays or maintains his collection. He may in fact share his collection with his subjects. I guess it really doesn't matter, but I do know the commitment that Bill Harrah and Jack Nethercutt made to automotive history. It was a full in dedication to restoring and sharing. It may take a life style change in attitude to give the process purpose, but as I indicated I don't know anything about the man, and didn't know either Harrah or Nethercutt personally. I did, however, see the change that took place with one collector, whom I knew casually, Harold LeMay. 

I'm not just pointing a fickle finger, out of jealousy or lack of understanding. It comes from years of introspection, and is based on my own self analysis. You see Craig I am a Studebaker collector, like you. I have been collecting for sixty years. I own over thirty cars, seventeen of which are Studebakers. Maintenance of thirty cars is an impossible task for one person. So I recognize my own special affliction, and have come to view it as an opportunity that I have been given. In no way am I giving myself a free pass, but would find it impossible to enjoy a collection that size. Honestly I would have to know something more about the gentleman to judge, but sometimes if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

Bill

I wonder how many "supercars" would actually get sold if he weren't buying them? Could Lamborghini or Konigseggeggeggeggggeg or any of the other "boutique" manufacturers without a parent actually stay in business without his largesse?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I wonder if he owns a single car that I would actually like to see?

There are a couple Rolls-Royces (pre-war & Phantoms) and that Mercedes Benz Gullwing in the video I wouldn't mind getting a closer look at, to be honest.  But I won't travel half-way around the world just to go see them up close.

Craig

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I wonder how many "supercars" would actually get sold if he weren't buying them? Could Lamborghini or Konigseggeggeggeggggeg or any of the other "boutique" manufacturers without a parent actually stay in business without his largesse?

Interesting point Matt. Him and many other Oil Sheiks in the Middle East have staggering car collections. I'm sure without them Ferrari, Bugatti and a few others would be nameplates of the past. They have the petroleum so why not own as many petrol burning units as money can buy?

Are the 7K cars specifically his collection or just the number classified as the 'Royal" fleet that includes those assigned to various levels of minions down the line?  Six hundred some Rolls-Royces no doubt includes many from recent decades that which have lost some of their prestige luster, good enough to grant to lackeys for daily use.  

As Dorothy Parker quipped, "If you want to see what God thinks about money, just look at the people he gave it to."

Don't worry too much about the cars that are "too new". I have encountered that since I was 30 and bought a 15 year old '64 Riviera. And a few others. Keep the cars long enough and they get old. Then they are OK with the collector car mavins.

• Like 1

• gwells changed the title to The Sultan of Burnei's car collection of 7,000 cars worth $5 billion