12 volt conversion while retaining gas pedal start up

roadmaster_56

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to convert to 12 volts on a 50 Buick AND continue to use the gas pedal start? (ie. modify the solenoid and accelerator vacuum switch to 12V, see diagram).  

The only reason I'm considering converting to 12V is to install electric power steering, because I'm running DiamondBack 225 x15 radials which increases the steering effort A LOT. 

I'd rather use the complete power steering set up from a 52, but good luck finding all the parts required .... electric is the next best option.

I realize that I could easily install a starter button to replace the foot start....but I don't want to do that....I like the uniqueness of hitting the gas to start.

If you've done an electric power steering set up on a 50's Buick (or other GM car) with 6v, I'd really like to hear how the conversion went.... IF anyone happens to know where I can get a complete 52 Buick power steering setup including all parts, please let me know...

I'd need the following: pump, steering gear, pitman arm, brackets, double crank pulley, column/shaft and anything else needed).

If I had these I wouldn't need p/s.

Thanks all,

David in Santa Cruz

main-qimg-8db92b3a2bb50af6a6d100a9f213ac52.png

1950-buick-cranking-system-circuits.jpg

It's a catch 22.......radial tires........fixing a problem that isn't a problem. Then put on power steering, and now electricial upgrades, trust me, you don't want to go there. Run higher air pressure in the radials, and take the car to an alignment shop, they can set it up to steer easier , but the tires will wear faster. Trying to jam in an electric power steering unit will cause you fits......and it won't be easy, plus all the other changes.......for 99 percent of the hobbyists it's easier to deal with the harder steering, or go back to bias tires. Good luck ,Ed

Hi Ed:
All good suggestions, that I’ve already tried.  Pumping up the tires to 32, 35 and eventually 40psi helped somewhat, but it felt like I was riding on wagon wheels.  

I also attempted to get the front end aligned, with the intent of having them “tweak” the caster/camber for easier steering.

Surprisingly, none of the shops around here could work on the Buick (or my other car a 48 Chrysler).  Their equipment is digital and relies on lasers to calibrate the settings.  They need to hang the sensors on the rear wheels, and to do that they need "full wheel" fender cutouts (aka radiused). 

Both the Buick and Chrysler have "half wheel" cutouts preventing this…. really a poor design on the part of the alignment machine makers.  So far, I haven't been able to find someone around who has the older style "mirrored" equipment.

I suppose I could simply trade the 50 in for a 53 Skylark with those nice open wheel wells …wait…. the Skylark comes with P/S…. problem solved!   

Think I better go out and pick up some lottery tickets.

Hello Ben:
That would be great if the foot starter worked on 12 volts.  Wonder how I could test it without destroying the rest of the system?

Re: “preventing starter activation while running”, I recently switched out my Chrysler’s 6v generator and replaced it with a 6 V alternator and ran into that problem…. just gotta remember not to punch the button when the car is running.

Edited by roadmaster_56
typo (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Hello I have a 49 that was changed to 12 volt they used a 12 volt alternator and the high torque starter available fro bobs or cars .The starting setup on carburetor was not modified but wiring harness was replaced with original reproduction.This car also has the bias look radial tires and oddly enough they made steering easier.

On 8/31/2020 at 11:57 AM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Changing to 12V SHOULD not affect the "pedal" start.  It will probably eliminate the backup from the generator that prevents starter activation when engine is running. 

Ben

Ben is correct.  You missed in the wiring diagram that the starter solenoid grounds through the generator to prevent the starter from engaging while the engine is running.  The ground is through the generator output wire.  When voltage is present from the generator, the ground is lost.  You can retain this feature if you use a 12v generator.  As others have said, it will be cheaper to buy a correct set of bias ply tires. 

Hmmm! I was just wondering what would happen if the voltage regulator Field relay got stuck closed and allowed the generator to output 12 volts more than the battery is charged to. I would think that if the vehicle was a standard shift, that the starter relay would activate and cause the starter to run! NOT GOOD! 🤬

In the automatic vehicles, the neutral safety would only allow this scenario to happen in Park or Neutral, and would be less likely to have this happen.

Hello ,on my 49 with the 12 volt setup and the hi torque starter, that happened when the add on relay to the replacement starter stuck closed requiring replacement of the relay .Had a post on that a while back.It had been converted to 12 volt before I had bought it.Sometimes these modifications cause problems of their own.