Best way to get into jammed/locked glovebox?

Hazdaz

Stupid me.  I forced my glove box closed a few days ago only for it not be open any more.  I don't think it is actually locked (I never used the key with it), but I think something is jammed into the locking mechanism or latch.  I already have the dash/console apart and was hoping I could sneak around the side and pop it open, but they don't seem directly connected.  Not sure if it is just the cardboard box or if there is other stuff that separate the two.  Access from underneath seems worse.

I have tried using the actual car key and tried turning it, but it won't turn and I am a little hesitant in forcing it and breaking the key off inside the lock and this creating even more issues. 

The aluminum face of the glovebox door will get marred up if I try forcing it with a screwdriver, so that is my last resort. 

My first thought is to sacrifice the cardboard box & cut a hole in it from underneath. Then reach in & try to push the door open. 

Somehow, without knowing it, I once latched the latch without closing the glovebox door & the door wouldn’t close. I almost forced it closed & the gut got me to look first. That’s when I found the latch had been latched. I’m guessing that is what happened to u. 

Or try masking the areas around the door that u want to try & pry from. Then use those non marring plastic pry tools. Wipe it in a sock for more protection & gently try away

I couldn’t open the glovebox on my ‘38 Buick and ended up using thin plastic package strapping to lift the tongue on the latch. Worked a treat, but only after I had chipped lots of paint around the door using other means 😢😢😢😢

Worth a try!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

11 hours ago, Hazdaz said:

Stupid me.  I forced my glove box closed a few days ago only for it not be open any more.  I don't think it is actually locked (I never used the key with it), but I think something is jammed into the locking mechanism or latch.  I already have the dash/console apart and was hoping I could sneak around the side and pop it open, but they don't seem directly connected.  Not sure if it is just the cardboard box or if there is other stuff that separate the two.  Access from underneath seems worse.

I have tried using the actual car key and tried turning it, but it won't turn and I am a little hesitant in forcing it and breaking the key off inside the lock and this creating even more issues. 

The aluminum face of the glovebox door will get marred up if I try forcing it with a screwdriver, so that is my last resort. 

What year car?

I have had several 1st gen. glovebox latches become hard to open. It is something about their design.  Don't use the key, it won't help.

One thing that I tried that helped was to gently push in on the door, then press the button, then let go of the door.  The button pushes the door out.

With the dash pad off of a 1st gen, I think you can see some of the latch mechanism. Try gently working on that latch from above with a long thin screwdriver while you press in on the button.

It is a '64.

I'll give your all suggestions a shot, guys.  I finished installing new speakers and a sub into the car so I had all these trim pieces apart.  Now I could theoretically start putting it back together again and clean it all up except for this glove box issue.