The Mysterious Current Limit Relay on 1928 Chrysler's

I have a Model A Ford and the only "relay" in that car is called a "cutout" mounted on the generator to charge the battery when the generator output is sufficient and disconnect from the generator when it's not.  Enter this item on 1928 Chrysler cars mounted under the dash to regulate the current to the head and cowl lights I'm told.  Very little explained in the owners manual except mounted under the dash.  What does it look like, where is it mounted and are replacements or substitutions available?  

Current limit relay= an early circuit breaker, Cadillac used them also.

They are often missing.....and they are actually a vibrating circuit breaker to prevent dead shorts. Most acted up in the 50’s and 60’s and got tossed.

I have just bought a barn find 1928 series 62 roadster, it has a generator mounted to the right side of the motor, that is gear driven by the timing chain, the cutout is mounted directly on top of the generator.

Perhaps Leonara could scan the page from his owners manual, so we can see more clearly what he is talking about.

If you are talking about  " regulate the current to the head and cowl lights ", I think what you are refering to , is the back of the dash mounted lighting switch. These switches have a heavy wire wound resistor that reduces the power to the headlight filament when the switch is put into dim position.

• Like 1

Correct, the inside the dash unit is a vibrating circuit breaker........in the event of a dead short, it makes a noise as loud as a horn......it will get your attention. The cut out on the generator has nothing to do with thr unit on the firewall.

in late 20s and 30s   the technology for charging cars and batteries was a adjustable generator,,My 32 Plymouth has three brushes one is for adjust out put,,,the cut out riding on generator's only job is to break the circuit when shut down--if you only did day driving you had to adjust accordingly  at night raise a bit     ----you have to be careful not to charge to much burn the armature and boil the electrolyte   by 36 my Plymouth had a two stage unit again riding on generator one was a cut out and other gave two levels of out put---------------BR