Riviera Trivia

Guest John Chapman

Guest John Chapman

OK, here's one for which I've not got a clue. On a recent trip to Reno, NV I saw a mid-70's Riviera (the notchback style) with GS badging and a Stage One emblem on the grill. It was pretty ratty but looked complete and unmolested. It was at a busy intersection, so further investigation/conversation with the driver wasn't possible. Was this a rare sighting?<P>John<P>------------------<BR>John Chapman<BR>BCA 35894<BR>1965 Skylark Convertible (Some Assembly Required)<BR> jmchapman@aol.com

Was this Riviera the '74-'76 style or '77-'78 style? The optional GS package and the optional Stage 1 package was still available on 1974 and 1975 Rivieras (I'm going by memory here, I don't have the books in front of me). I do not recall if a 1976 Riviera had a GS option. The '77-'78 style Rivieras did not have any GS or Stage 1 options.

The '74 models could be had with a GS option, but it was only a handling option. The '73 GS is the only Riviera I know of that had a Stage 1 emblem on the grill. Maybe the owner of the car you say got the emblem off a '73.<P>Tomsriv<BR>71 Riv

The GS Option was entirely separate from the Stage 1 Option on the Rivieras. In fact, I'm aware of Stage 1 Rivieras that were not GS-optioned cars. I do not have any source material in front of me, but it is my recollection that the Stage 1 Option continued beyond the '73 model and was offered on the Riviera at least through '74.

Your right Centurion. I looked at an article in the RIVIEW and it stated that the 74 was available with a 245 horse optional engine.